Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pikeville College reforms athletic department
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With the recent hire of Paul Patton, Assistant President Hurley and Robert Staggs as AD at Pikeville College, just recently they have begun the process of reforming the athletic department. This is a huge stepping stone for the College and should increase enrollment substantially as soon as the Fall of 2010. The reform calls for a reissuing of scholarship money and makes all sports fully funded programs. As far as being fully funded the college before this semester was only partially funded and will allow the college to have JV programs for each sport. The college will also now stop stacking scholarship money which means a student athlet will now only recieve athletic scholarships or academic scholarships. These ideas have derived from such intitutions as University of the Cumberlands, Georgetown College and Lindsey Wilson in which the administration at Pikeville College researched. The idea is to allow more local players admission to play intercollegiate sports at Pikeville College while catering to the needs of an increased enrollment.

Thoughts?
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:With the recent hire of Paul Patton, Assistant President Hurley and Robert Staggs as AD at Pikeville College, just recently they have begun the process of reforming the athletic department. This is a huge stepping stone for the College and should increase enrollment substantially as soon as the Fall of 2010. The reform calls for a reissuing of scholarship money and makes all sports fully funded programs. As far as being fully funded the college before this semester was only partially funded and will allow the college to have JV programs for each sport. The college will also now stop stacking scholarship money which means a student athlet will now only recieve athletic scholarships or academic scholarships. These ideas have derived from such intitutions as University of the Cumberlands, Georgetown College and Lindsey Wilson in which the administration at Pikeville College researched. The idea is to allow more local players admission to play intercollegiate sports at Pikeville College while catering to the needs of an increased enrollment.

Thoughts?
Go into a little more detail as to what you are talking about. I know you attended UC for a short time, but I have had one and at times two sons playing at UC for 5 years now.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Go into a little more detail as to what you are talking about. I know you attended UC for a short time, but I have had one and at times two sons playing at UC for 5 years now.

No problem...Basically what I was saying is that Patton and the Admin researched some of the rival MSC schools to see how they issued scholarship money for athletes. From that they found that Cumberland, G'Town and Lindsey arguably the msot succesful all around athletic departments fully funded all athletic programs and had JV programs. The JV programs are more so at Cumberland and other schools for local players and as a developmental process while the Varsity programs are normaly built around incoming upperclassmen and JUCO transfers. Which is kind of where Pikeville is going with this. It will allow the JV programs to be built around local kids who need to develope their talents and get a good education while eventually making the varsity program. However, it allows the varsity programs to be built around high skilled transfer students. one thing I do not like is that they are no longer stacking money which is something the "Big Three" that were researched do. Just a note to my knowledge Pikeville College has never had a fully funded athletic program rather it be football, basketball etc. What this allows is the college could reach over a thousand students in the Fall of 2010 with all the new policies that are in place which was at first with the Pattons Admin a goal that was wanting to be reached in 3 years. They were not going to fully fund all atheletic programs untill then however, after the research was complete they saw an oppurtunity that will alow quick and substantial growth, give a re-birth to Pikeville College athletics and IMO it will grow the fan base with more local kids getting their chance at Intercollegiate sports. One example that I would like to address is the soccer team will now look at growing from around 20 players to 30+. The Extra 10 players will be mainly local players. Also this will allow Pikeville College to be more competitive for the Presidents Cup which is a Mid South Conference overall champion which is based on points that you recieve from their place in each sport. In years past it has been a 3 way battle between the Big Three this change should solidify Pikeville as a more comprehensive athletic program.