Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Willie Smith Letcher Central 8th grader
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Willie Smith was selected to play in the 8th Grade ARMY All-star game in San-Antonio on January 10th. Big Willie go represent Letcher County and the Big Sandy Conference and make us all proud. :Thumbs::Thumbs:
Way to go!
Congrats from Floyd co. and Adams Middle School.
How long has this game been going on? I am sure other players in the past could have represented the big sandy.........Congrats to big Willie, it is quite an honor..........
Congrats Big Willie
Congrats Willie and Coach Howard !
Great honor for the young man !
We are proud of you ......(Big Sandy Conference)
Coach Howell
Great job Willie. He is one heckuva player.
This is the 2nd year for the game. It appears that in both years (last year and this) that KY has sent a good number of players.
barrel Wrote:This is the 2nd year for the game. It appears that in both years (last year and this) that KY has sent a good number of players.

This is a great thing. I am proud that big Willie accomplished this. I was wondering because i have seen some really good football players in this conference for several years. Jude, Robinson, Fiels, blair and several more.
Coach Howard Wrote:Willie Smith was selected to play in the 8th Grade ARMY All-star game in San-Antonio on January 10th. Big Willie go represent Letcher County and the Big Sandy Conference and make us all proud. :Thumbs::Thumbs:

Hey coach, should you call wymt and let them announce this so the kid can get all the publicity he deserves
Scotty Bailey from Cumberland was also selected for this honor. Congrats to both young men.......:Clap:
Love to see these mountain boys get recogonition
Congratulations to the young man.

However, there is no "Willie Smith" from LCC.

There is a Willie Smith from Whitesburg, VA?
I wish you the best willie good luck
FF40212 Wrote:Congratulations to the young man.

However, there is no "Willie Smith" from LCC.

There is a Willie Smith from Whitesburg, VA?

There is no Whitesburg Virginia. There is a Whitesburg Kentucky located 12 miles from the Virginia state line and it has a school located in its city limits. It happens to be named Letcher County Central.
Oh I believe you. I Googled it myself.

Heck, I even think I know why Willie would have been "accidentally" listed as being from Whitesburg, VA!

Again, I will withold my comments for now. I wish Willie well. I hope that he represents his hometown well. Its going to be a shame that everyone at that event won't know he is actually from Kentucky. A real shame.......
Congrats Willie Smith!
FF40212,

Enlighten me, I'm Willie's coach and I don't know why they listed him from Whiteburg Virginia. I have contacted them and they told me that they would correct the mistake. We will make sure that we get credit for him being from Whitesburg, KY.
I PM'd you.

We should probably discuss off this site.

Email me and I will be glad to discuss. I can even give you a call.
Coach Howard Wrote:FF40212,

Enlighten me, I'm Willie's coach and I don't know why they listed him from Whiteburg Virginia. I have contacted them and they told me that they would correct the mistake. We will make sure that we get credit for him being from Whitesburg, KY.

Congrats to Big Willie! Nice to see the mountain boys get some recognition.

This is a quote from FF40212 from another thread:
Quote:Kentucky is the only state that is supposed to have an agreement with FBU for it's middle school association to coordinate with them for player submissions. All of the other players selected (outside of KY), the players are submitted by their parent/guardian. This particular player was not submitted by the KMSFA.

This reads like the KMSFA wants to have absolute powerl of which players go to this shimdig in TX. I'm not buying that there's a conspiracy. Looks like a simple typo. Regardless of WHO got to nominate/choose this kid to go, I know he'll represent KY well.
Mama Bear Wrote:Congrats to Big Willie! Nice to see the mountain boys get some recognition.

This is a quote from FF40212 from another thread:

This reads like the KMSFA wants to have absolute powerl of which players go to this shimdig in TX. I'm not buying that there's a conspiracy. Looks like a simple typo. Regardless of WHO got to nominate/choose this kid to go, I know he'll represent KY well.

I can 100% assure you that that is not the case. Waaaaaay more to it. Again, its probably not best that this be discussed on a message board anyways. I'm hoping Coach Howard will email one of us so we can help get this young man (and his correct hometown) the proper recognition.

I will say that FBU's answer was that their paperwork was submitted with this young man being from "Whitesburg, VA". That was the answer given when asked about the "typo" from THEM. As of right now, he will be "representing Virginia well".
No matter who Willie is representing, Congratulations on such a wonderful accomplishment... Shelby West Middle.....
way to go willie have fun
good luck Willy from this old Indian. can anyone post some information on the physical size and what position Willie plays. This is great and something he will never forget
Cherokee,

Willie is 6'4 and weighs 255. He runs between a 5.0-5.1 - 40. He bench presses 245 and we haven't pushed him past that yet because of his growth development and he set a Kentucky state record last winter with a dead-lift over 400 hundred pounds, he has done as much as 450 in the weight room this year. Willie has been a pleasure to coach for the past 3 years and will make a fine high school player in the future.
Did he arrive safely in San Antonio? Hope he has a great time.
He is there :Clap:
when does he play?
Big Willie Smith plays tomorrow at 1:00 in the Alamo Dome.

The game time is actually 12:00 but it's really 1:00 our time. I talked to him this evening and he's really excited and has had a great time in San Antonio this week. He is starting at one of the Defensive Tackle positions for the East team and earned time on offense when they are in their heavy set at left tackle, Willie will be wearing #78. He has had several colleges show interest in him and I think this experience has really motivated him. Like I said in an earlier post Willie is a great kid and really appreciates this opportunity. It really excites me as a coach to see a kid get this turned on to football and it has been well worth the time and effort to raise the money to get him there. I would like to say thank you to everyone that helped us with the money needed to send him to San Antonio this week. It was not easy trying to get donations this time of the year but our community came through and we raised the $2500.00 needed. I am sure that Willie will make everyone in Letcher County proud.

If you would like to watch the game it will on a live webcast at 1:00
Website is http://www.allamericangames.tv
Congrats to my big boy (Big Willie Smith). He had a heck of a game and he DID represent Eastern Kentucky and Letcher county they way I knew he would. He had a sack and several tackles and they used him as a long snapper. The announcers spent much time talking about Big Willie and his size and speed. The west team had to double team him the entire game and he still stepped up. Couldn't be more proud of this young man even if he was my own son.
Way to go son... I'm proud of you.
Pages: 1 2