Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Mangino out at Kansas
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Kansas coach Mark Mangino has resigned two years after leading the Jayhawks to the greatest season in their football history.

ESPN's Joe Schad first reported the story on Thursday night. The university made the announcement as athletic director Lew Perkins met with players to give them the news. The two sides have reached a buyout, Schad reported.

"We appreciate the eight years that Mark has given to rebuilding our football program," Kansas athletic director Lew Perkins said in statement on the school's Web site. "He and I have reached a mutually satisfactory agreement that reflects the appreciation we have for his efforts on behalf of Kansas football.

The school said last month it would probe Mangino's treatment of his team. In the following days, many former players described insensitive, humiliating remarks they claim he made to them during games or practice, often in front of others.

But next came a wave of support by former and current players, who who credited Mangino with making them better players and men.

The investigation into Mangino was conducted by Lori Williams, Kansas assistant athletic director for risk management.

"As you know we have recently completed an internal review of the football program," Perkins said. " I have been instructed by legal counsel that we cannot release any documents related to this investigation, nor any details regarding our settlement agreement. The investigation and settlement agreement will remain part of Mark's personnel records."

The Jayhawks won the first five games of the season before going on a seven-game losing streak. Mangino was 50-48 in eight years, two victories short of A.R. Kennedy's school record of 52 from 1904-10. Mangino inherited the Kansas program in 2002. Five seasons later, the Jayhawks were 12-1 and won the Orange Bowl over Virginia Tech. He was named Associated Press coach of the year.

Throughout his tenure, Mangino was plagued by anger issues, starting when he was involved in an embarrassing row with officials while watching his son's high school game. Also, following a close loss to Texas, he accused officials of rigging the game so the Big 12 could get a second school into a BCS game and make more money. He issued an apology later that night.

Perkins said his focus will shift to searching for a new head coach.

"I know people will float a number of names out there," he said, "but I will not comment on any potential candidates. I can only tell you I am certain that great things lie ahead for our Kansas football program. There's a great buzz surrounding Kansas football; we have great fans and facilities, and we've demonstrated a strong commitment to the success of our program."

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4711389"]Mark Mangino out as coach at Kansas - ESPN@@AMEPARAM@@http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4711491@@AMEPARAM@@4711491[/ame]