Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: UK will never be any better than we are right now.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
UK is content with being average. Our coaches dont want to do anything different because as long as we get to a bowl then everything is okay, they keep their jobs. No one wants to rock the boat.

Well that shouldnt be okay. We shouldnt settle for the same ole stuff every year. We should be trying to get better, not stay the same.

Last year was a great year. We should not have done what we did last year. This year we should have done a lot better. First bad decsions beat us against South Carolina, and Miss State. Then we do it again Saturday night vs. Tenn. You can't tell me any of those teams are better than Georgia at home or Auburn at home. I am tired of this crap.

We let too many oppertunities get by but we are still going to a bowl right? But here is the thing. UK will never get any better if we continue to do this. We will never get better recruits if we all we do is strive to not be the worst in the SEC.
Amun-Ra Wrote:UK is content with being average. Our coaches dont want to do anything different because as long as we get to a bowl then everything is okay, they keep their jobs. No one wants to rock the boat.

Well that shouldnt be okay. We shouldnt settle for the same ole stuff every year. We should be trying to get better, not stay the same.

Last year was a great year. We should not have done what we did last year. This year we should have done a lot better. First bad decsions beat us against South Carolina, and Miss State. Then we do it again Saturday night vs. Tenn. You can't tell me any of those teams are better than Georgia at home or Auburn at home. I am tired of this crap.

We let too many oppertunities get by but we are still going to a bowl right? But here is the thing. UK will never get any better if we continue to do this. We will never get better recruits if we all we do is strive to not be the worst in the SEC.

We came into this season without a good QB and we're ending this season without a good QB. IMO, we ended up where many people projected us, if not better. Should we be content with 7-5 or 8-4? Maybe not, but it's a heck of a lot better than it has been. UK went from being a doormat to being a legitimate threat. As we've seen, UK can beat any team on any given Saturday. Can we still lose those games? Yes, we've seen that also. But I wonder how many people are basing the success/failure of this season on one game? The UT game.

Would we still be so down on UK if they had lost to UT earlier in the season, and beaten Georgia in the last game of the season?
I have been saying this same stuff since the Miss State game. The Tenn game just summed it up for me. UK is a middle of the road team that sometimes beats someone they aren't supposed to.
Amun-Ra Wrote:UK is content with being average. Our coaches dont want to do anything different because as long as we get to a bowl then everything is okay, they keep their jobs. No one wants to rock the boat.

You pretty much said "**** you" too all of those boys on the team. How in the **** do you know their not trying to get better, I can't believe you would even say that. Why would a team even exsist if they didn't try to get better at every practice. You can't base a few bad decisions in a few games on them not trying to get better. Come on.
FWIW, here are the pre-season predictions from several of our members:

EKUAlum05 - 7-5
Jarons - 7-5
TidesHoss32 - 5-7
TheBrahmaBull - 5-7
Deathstar 80 - 7-5
theVILLE - 8-4
BlackcatAlum - 7-5
MoreCowbell - 8-4
Warriors23RJ - 7-5
Wildcatk23 - 9-3
Cat Daddy - 8-4
lwc - 7-5
BelfryPride - 8-4
kwoolum - 7-5
launchpad4 - 5-7
BelfryPirates - 5-7
vundy33 - 8-4
ROCKSOLID69 - 9-3
sdub - 7-5
CardinalAlum - 8-4
Amun-Ra Wrote:I have been saying this same stuff since the Miss State game. The Tenn game just summed it up for me. UK is a middle of the road team that sometimes beats someone they aren't supposed to.

I disagree with the statement I think this season showed that Kentucky is on the same level as nearly every other team in the SEC...Its just the defensive and offensive playcalling have been terrible all season long...Part of the offesnive play calling is because we have an inexperienced QB and there is no excuse for the D because I firmly believe we have one of the more talented defensive teams in the SEC...I am just as aggrivated as you are right now...I am just so confused still on what has happened this year...I predicted us 8-4 or 9-3 and easily should have been...
How soon we forget.

It wasn't all that long ago that UK was an after thought to everyone in the SEC except for Vandy. When was the last time you saw Tennesee players fans and coaches that fired up for a UK game.

If that kind of atmosphere isn't a sign that UK has gotten significantly better than I don't know what is. Shoot this is even a rebuilding year in alot of ways. You lose your only experienced qb and are still in the SEC picture. The recruiting looks better every year. I really don't see what more some of you could ask from these players and coaches.
It wouldn't have been a strech at all this year for us to have gone 10-2! That's really what our record should be and if Joker Phillips had kept Randall Cobb in at QB and let him run the offense, we would have beaten South Carolina, Miss State,and Tennessee! Because, if im not mistaken we were down in all those games, Randall Cobb brought us back and gave us a chance to win, and then Joker throws Morgan Newton back in at QB when Randall Cobb was the one making it work and scoring!!
leecoukfan Wrote:It wouldn't have been a strech at all this year for us to have gone 10-2! That's really what our record should be and if Joker Phillips had kept Randall Cobb in at QB and let him run the offense, we would have beaten South Carolina, Miss State,and Tennessee! Because, if im not mistaken we were down in all those games, Randall Cobb brought us back and gave us a chance to win, and then Joker throws Morgan Newton back in at QB when Randall Cobb was the one making it work and scoring!!
amen :Thumbs: i mean whenever we need a big score to tie it up or something he'll go to cobb in the middle of the game but if it comes down to the 4th quarter he is too scared to do that. then afterwards coach brooks said they never practiced running the 2 min warning in the wild-cobb. IMO if your're on the 37 yd line with a 1:47 you really don't need a hurry up offense. i mean shoot first 2 plays was cobb and the got 18 yards HINT HINT!!!
My prediction would be right had the joke not lost his head in calling plays.
FBALL Wrote:How soon we forget.

It wasn't all that long ago that UK was an after thought to everyone in the SEC except for Vandy. When was the last time you saw Tennesee players fans and coaches that fired up for a UK game.

If that kind of atmosphere isn't a sign that UK has gotten significantly better than I don't know what is. Shoot this is even a rebuilding year in alot of ways. You lose your only experienced qb and are still in the SEC picture. The recruiting looks better every year. I really don't see what more some of you could ask from these players and coaches.

I agree 100% with you FBALL. It wasn't long ago UK was at the bottom of the SEC. Now at least they are middle of the pack.

Yeah, i will agree with you 100% there! But, we could have and should have gone 10-2 this year!
leecoukfan Wrote:Yeah, i will agree with you 100% there! But, we could have and should have gone 10-2 this year!
Not with losing your starting QB and having to play a true freshman. Not with most of your skill players being beat up.

Cobb is good but he can't run it every play. He is not a passing threat so after a couple of plays teams adjust to the wildcat.

Connor missing the fourth quarter was huge. Locke is still beat up. Gonzales got hurt in the first half. There was a whole bunch of stuff that adds up not just what plays were called.

In the end the Tennesee game was decided by execusion or lack there of, not play calling.
FBALL Wrote:Not with losing your starting QB and having to play a true freshman. Not with most of your skill players being beat up.

Cobb is good but he can't run it every play. He is not a passing threat so after a couple of plays teams adjust to the wildcat.

Connor missing the fourth quarter was huge. Locke is still beat up. Gonzales got hurt in the first half. There was a whole bunch of stuff that adds up not just what plays were called.

In the end the Tennesee game was decided by execusion or lack there of, not play calling.

Well IMO, Randall Cobb is the kind of player and athlete that can still score, get a 1st down, or make something happen even if the other team knows exactly what he's going to do and where he's going to go! He is that special rare type of player that can make something out of nothing!

agreed. :Thumbs:
leecoukfan Wrote:Well IMO, Randall Cobb is the kind of player and athlete that can still score, get a 1st down, or make something happen even if the other team knows exactly what he's going to do and where he's going to go! He is that special rare type of player that can make something out of nothing!
I agree Cobb is special. He is also human and he was one beat up tired human at the end of the game Saturday. I was there. I don't think he had anything left in the tank. If Newton cuts inside that block on third down I don't think any of this is discussed. At the very least he picks up the first down and UK gets 1st and goal with 30 seconds to go.

I don't blame Newton either. He is still just a true freshman and honelstly looked overwhelmed for most of that game.

The biggest key to the loss saturday was the defenses inability to stop the run. It set up everything for the Vols. Kentucky had to sell out to stop Haredesty and then when Tennesee went play action it was no contest. Wide open recievers running down the field.

The effort was there from both teams. Tennesee just executed better.
Yes
Yea I guess you guys are right. I mean I don't know what I am saying. I will try to see the light at the end of tunnel. Whatever.

I never said the players weren't trying first of all Vundy. I am talking about the coaching staff. The ones who never change anything. The ones who are happy for things to be just the way they are. Well I am not happy for things to be that way anymore. Yea I am glad we got to a bowl game again and I hope we win. But I am happy that it is going to be a bowl in Nashville when we could have been playing in Tampa? No I am not.

Is this season an a big surprise after losing what we did last year? Yes it is. No one expected UK to be as good as we were. What I am mad about is that our coaching staff uses that as an excuse for coming up short. You guys can come on here and say that we was better than expected and finished about where people thought, when I see it as we was better than expected and still couldnt get it done. Same ole UK.

I agree
uk will get a bcs bowl game b4 cobb leaves
I understand what Amun-Ra is saying and I agree. Everyone expects us to be just fine with winning 6, 7, or 8 games a season. Yeah, its a good season for Kentucky, but we've had success the past 4 seasons, at some point you want to be in the mix in the top 25 and be in the SEC championship discussion. We've done it all except for stay in the top 25 throughout the season, be involved in SEC/BCS discussion. We are still that school that the opposing teams mark down as a win other than Miss. State, Vandy, and Arkansas. We have the facilities, fan-base, etc. Only thing we lack is history, but we've beaten the #1 teams, top 10 teams, teams from other BCS conferences, etc.

As a fan, I do want more out of this football program. We as fans deserve it because we went through the probation years and through the 2-4 win seasons. The foundation has been built. Now someone needs to take us to the next level, whether that be coach Brooks, Joker Phillips, or someone else.
Amun-Ra Wrote:Yea I guess you guys are right. I mean I don't know what I am saying. I will try to see the light at the end of tunnel. Whatever.

I never said the players weren't trying first of all Vundy. I am talking about the coaching staff. The ones who never change anything. The ones who are happy for things to be just the way they are. Well I am not happy for things to be that way anymore. Yea I am glad we got to a bowl game again and I hope we win. But I am happy that it is going to be a bowl in Nashville when we could have been playing in Tampa? No I am not.

Is this season an a big surprise after losing what we did last year? Yes it is. No one expected UK to be as good as we were. What I am mad about is that our coaching staff uses that as an excuse for coming up short. You guys can come on here and say that we was better than expected and finished about where people thought, when I see it as we was better than expected and still couldnt get it done. Same ole UK.

Yeah, thats what i'm saying! Yes, we were better than expected this year but we could have been excellent and 10-2 and prolly ranked in the top 15 if there had just been a few different play calls made on offense! Like you have been saying, play more risky! Really you didn't even have to play more risky, just keep going with your bread and butter which was Randall Cobb in those situations!

As long as basketball is king in Lexington, UK will never get any better in football.
Here is the deal....First a powerhouse like Florida and Alabama is not built over night.....Or four or five years for that matter. Kentucky is having to recruit kids and take chances with lower level kids because we are not at the status to get all four and five star recruits. It also don't hurt that we aren't in a recruiting hot bed bubbling over with D-1 prospects.
Look at the location of every other SEC school and they have the ability to reach out "close to home" a lot more than we do.
I was at the Tennessee game as I was at every home game this season. It's not the fact that Kentucky is satisfied but they did have bad play calling. IMO you can't blame the loss to Mississippi State on Joker, the defense is were that one falls.
But entering the season if I told you we lost our quarterback and started a freshman most of the year, which just don't happen in the SEC. Cobb would be banged up much of the year as would Locke, Johnson and Lindley.....I would have took 7 wins and ran.
Brooks is doing great things at Kentucky and is leaving Joker in position to advance this team even farther when he steps down "whenever that may be." But rather Joker can continue that or not that is a different thread, in my opinion I fear a drop off after Brooks steps down.
FBALL Wrote:I agree Cobb is special. He is also human and he was one beat up tired human at the end of the game Saturday. I was there. I don't think he had anything left in the tank. If Newton cuts inside that block on third down I don't think any of this is discussed. At the very least he picks up the first down and UK gets 1st and goal with 30 seconds to go.

I don't blame Newton either. He is still just a true freshman and honelstly looked overwhelmed for most of that game.

The biggest key to the loss saturday was the defenses inability to stop the run. It set up everything for the Vols. Kentucky had to sell out to stop Haredesty and then when Tennesee went play action it was no contest. Wide open recievers running down the field.

The effort was there from both teams. Tennesee just executed better.

Lame post. Tennessee's back carried the ball 39 TIMES and he had enough left in the tank to score the winning TD. Everybody knows the coaches have dropped the ball in play calling this year in 3 games now. And your other sentence proves the argument that Cobb should have had the ball. But everybody already knows that.
jetpilot Wrote:Lame post. Tennessee's back carried the ball 39 TIMES and he had enough left in the tank to score the winning TD. Everybody knows the coaches have dropped the ball in play calling this year in 3 games now. And your other sentence proves the argument that Cobb should have had the ball. But everybody already knows that.

Hardesty was awsome. He did carry the ball alot but that was all he did. He didn't return punts and kickoffs. He didn't block down field. He didn't scramble around looking for open recievers. He didn't run pass routes down the field and he didn't take the punishment that Cobb took. Hardesty is also bigger and more physical than Cobb. That was a pretty lame response.

Bottom line is that Hardesty was not asked to do nearly as many things as Cobb was and like it or not Cobb was gassed. Newton himself said he should have picked up that first down. When Kentucky goes to the wildcat it becomes very predictable. You are pretty much telling the defense what is going to happen. UK tried something different and it didn't work. I wish it would have but that is the way it goes. If it did work Brooks and Phillips are geniuses for doing the unexpected. As it happenned most of you are acting like they couldn't coach a pee wee team. Coaches will always be second guessed when things don't work as planned.
"UK will never be any better than we are right now."

I seem to remember hearing this exact quote back about 5 or 6 years ago when UK wasn't getting close to being bowl eligible, Louisville owned us, and teams like Georgia and Auburn was beating us by 4 TD's or more.

I agree that UK shouldn't "settle" being 6-6 or 7-5, but I think anyone who has ignored this program's progression in the past 4 or 5 years would probably be better served to just give up watching college football for a few years.

UK is missing opportunities that are right in front of them...true. But, at least those opportunities are there now, a few years ago playing for a New Year's Day Bowl after road wins at Auburn and Georgia was only a pipe dream.

Great post
EKUAlum05 Wrote:"UK will never be any better than we are right now."

I seem to remember hearing this exact quote back about 5 or 6 years ago when UK wasn't getting close to being bowl eligible, Louisville owned us, and teams like Georgia and Auburn was beating us by 4 TD's or more.

I agree that UK shouldn't "settle" being 6-6 or 7-5, but I think anyone who has ignored this program's progression in the past 4 or 5 years would probably be better served to just give up watching college football for a few years.

UK is missing opportunities that are right in front of them...true. But, at least those opportunities are there now, a few years ago playing for a New Year's Day Bowl after road wins at Auburn and Georgia was only a pipe dream.

I agree. This school has been improving across the board with all of their sports. I do beleive they wish to excell across the board. In some sports, they know they are behind the eight ball from a recruiting standpoint. It will be difficult to land a top level coach, thus will be difficult to land 5 * recruits. But I have not seen them give up on that endeavor.

By the way - Great topic Amun-Ra. I love the controversial topic and your opinion on this. It spurred some lively debate and disagreement, which is EXACTLY what this is all about. My compliment:Thumbs:
Thank you Stardust. I was just venting some anger when I started this topic.

It just makes me so mad that when UK does have a great team (this team could have been VERY great) they still do the same ole things that keep them from acheiving more. We had a chance to be 10 - 2. 10- 2!!!!!!! The #3 team in the SEC.... But what do we do? We let South Carolina and Spurrier beat us again, we let Tenn slip by again and then we lose a game that by all right we should not have lost, Miss State. It is the same story every year. And I am sick of it.
Pages: 1 2