Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Impact freshman for 2010 season?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What 8th graders do you think will make an impact next season as freshman? I think Arron Elam from Verity will not take long for him to make his name known. I dont know the kids name but he is the fullback from Rowan, he is a monster, very strong and can run, Jordan Smith from Boyd plays on the line, big kid with great speed for his size, very good on defense.
Alex Carey 6'2 195 te/de played freshman ball and brandon blair 5'11 160 rb/de played freshman ball this year as 8th grader for russell. Both will be true freshman next year.
Will someone please tell me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that NO 8th graders were allowed to participate in high school competition in Football... is this correct or wrong???
Navajo4life Wrote:Will someone please tell me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that NO 8th graders were allowed to participate in high school competition in Football... is this correct or wrong???

Wrong 8th graders have always been allowed to play freshman if they were good enough. also it could be that those who played as 8th graders are old enough to be freshman. but either way Russell almost always plays an 8th grader on the freshman team.
:ChairHit:
I've been told NUMEROUS times that 8th graders are not allowed to "play up" in football.

I do not have the KHSAA regulation. I do know that our high school coach wouldn't even scrimmage his JV or Freshmen with our guys in 7 on 7 for this reason.
FF40212 Wrote:I've been told NUMEROUS times that 8th graders are not allowed to "play up" in football.

I do not have the KHSAA regulation. I do know that our high school coach wouldn't even scrimmage his JV or Freshmen with our guys in 7 on 7 for this reason.
I don't know what you've been told but if it was rule i'm sure that Russell wouldnt really even need the 8th grader anyway seeing how they dressed 30 at least true freshman this school year.. But i assume its not a rule because if it was you know ashland would have done complained about it like they did with the awesome running back that was barely over the playing age in kentucky. Ashland varsity football wanted no part of shawn wilson transfer from north carolina who led his team to a state title and helped Russell beat Boyd County handily.
That was back in 1996 when all that happened and the kid had to go across the river to Ironton,Ohio because they don't have an age rule that I know of.
An 8th grader can play freshman. They are not allowed to play up to varsity. Sometimes kids move up to frshman when they are in eight grade because of age. Not every school fields grade teams. Russell has a very successful JFL but some 8th graders choose to play up or have to because of age.

Neither of the eighth graders that were on the freshman roster played much this season on the freshman team and IMO would have been better served playing with their classmates.
FBALL Wrote:An 8th grader can play freshman. They are not allowed to play up to varsity. Sometimes kids move up to frshman when they are in eight grade because of age. Not every school fields grade teams. Russell has a very successful JFL but some 8th graders choose to play up or have to because of age.

Neither of the eighth graders that were on the freshman roster played much this season on the freshman team and IMO would have been better served playing with their classmates.
Either way they still have the edge on the other 8th graders of knowing what its like at the freshman level. I'd have to think both players will get a lot of time next year.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:Either way they still have the edge on the other 8th graders of knowing what its like at the freshman level. I'd have to think both players will get a lot of time next year.

Maybe, maybe not. While they were on the freshman roster their counterparts were getting alot more playing time and game experience.

There are arguments for both circumstances but there is no substitute for playing in games and gaining experience. There are other eigth graders comming up next year that are just as good. I'm not putting these two down. I know most of the eighth graders very well and simply feel they were better served by playing games instead of watching them.

The quality of football these kids played in JFL was very good by the way.
They can play Freshman and Junior Varsity.. As long as it isn't Varsity.
This came straight from Julian Tackett..
KHSAA handbook Bylaw 4 Sec. 1(d) is where the rule is found if any one wants to read it.

http://www.khsaa.org/handbook/bylaws/bylaw4.pdf

Of course this doesn't override the rule that if they are repeating a grade they cannot play high school the 2nd year in that grade.
cart man Wrote:KHSAA handbook Bylaw 4 Sec. 1(d) is where the rule is found if any one wants to read it.

http://www.khsaa.org/handbook/bylaws/bylaw4.pdf

Of course this doesn't override the rule that if they are repeating a grade they cannot play high school the 2nd year in that grade.

Thank you for posting that!
Thanks for posting this, this was very helpful...
I believe this is the rule that is sometimes refered to as the Dennis Johnson rule. Both the Johnson boys played HS football at a VERY young age. Beechwood has been playing 8th graders on Frosh an I believe JV for years.
You're welcome guys. I am glad that it helped.
Rowans running back is Keonta(msp) Moore and he is a really good kid. Had 36 touchdowns this season running the ball mostly. I hope the best for him. Hopefully he can help out with Darrell Cross and get Rowan further along in the state. Garrett Martin is also a great lineman from Rowan county. He made 1st team all state and should help out the High School team also.
You are right the Rowan Co. back is a man playing with boys. He is a beast he ought to help the high school right off and have a great high school career.