Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: #5 Kentucky 102 - Sam Houston State 92
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Cats continue to play like a team that is still trying to find themselves. Twenty plus turnovers and poor perimeter shooting. Gave up too many threes to a team that had a total of 3 in their last game.

Team showed athletecisim, but lacked the depth that you would like to see. Zero points from the bench!

I stand by my prediciton that this team will not show the signs of their full potential until Christmas.

Congrats to that Cats, a win is a win.
9 More Till 2000 Wins
Stardust Wrote:Cats continue to play like a team that is still trying to find themselves. Twenty plus turnovers and poor perimeter shooting. Gave up too many threes to a team that had a total of 3 in their last game.

Team showed athletecisim, but lacked the depth that you would like to see. Zero points from the bench!

I stand by my prediciton that this team will not show the signs of their full potential until Christmas.

Congrats to that Cats, a win is a win.

I hope you meant perimeter defense? UK shot over 50% from downtown.
Exactly. Perimeter shooting was great. 3-point D has not shown up yet, but you have to love the big man Cousins who plays hard. When he brings the hard hat and lunch pail with him to work, he is tough to stop.
John wall had 21 points, 6 assists, and 4 rebounds. Yep, he's pretty much overrated.
^ Yes, perimeter Defense. Gave up 18 3's to a team that had made 12 in their first two games.

You have to shoot 50% from three when the other team shoots 50% from three as well.
Perimeter D and turnovers have got to get better. Sloppy freshman mistakes are still there. But on the other hand when this team comes together we will all say WOW!!!!
Atleast this game was never in doubt. Kentucky played great on the offensive end with Cousins, Wall, Patterson, Bledsoe, and Miller. The defense just isn't cutting it. I know Cal will never get out of the man, but at some point we may have to if teams continue shooting lights out from 3 against us. But with such a young team we're going to take our lumps, thankfully we have the weapons we do to outscore these teams that live and die by the 3 ball.

GBB!
crazytaxidriver Wrote:Perimeter D and turnovers have got to get better. Sloppy freshman mistakes are still there. But on the other hand when this team comes together we will all say WOW!!!!

I agree. Most athletic team I have seen in a long time at UK.
Glad to see Kentucky get the win!! But there were some GOOD things and some BAD things in this one!

Good things:
Kentucky was able to score over 100 points in a game for the first time in a while.
DeMarcus Cousins 27pts, 18rebs, 10-15 shooting, 2blks and only 1 foul. Career highs in both pts and rebs for Cousins early in his career.
John Wall 21pts, 6asts, 4rebs, 7-13 shooting
Patrick Patterson 20pts, 9rebs, 8-9 shooting very impressive!!
Eric Bledsoe 19pts, 6asts, 2stls, 6-10 shooting, 5-7 from 3, and 2blks, Mr. Bledsoe has got some MAJOR HOPS!!
Darius Miller 15pts, 3asts, 5-10 shooting, and 3-6 from 3.
Shot 55% as a team.
Very impressive stats from the starting lineup!!

Bad things:
Kentucky allowed 92 points.
They had 22 turnovers.
The benched scored 0 points.
Corey Allmond went 11-16 from 3 with 37pts. Which sets the record for the most 3 pointers made by anybody at Rupp Arena.
Sam Houston State was able to shoot 18-38 from the 3point line which sets the record for the most 3pointers made by an opponent at Rupp Arena.

I am very impressed with the production we got from our starters considering that they're the only ones that scored and we scored 102 as a team.
I personally would like to see the bench contribute more so we know that the starters don't have to be relied on to win the game for us. I think that Coach Cal needs to start focusing on the defense now because i was AMAZED! When our guys were defending the perimeter tonight they weren't even raising their arms, which is one of the most basic things you are taught to do in basketball! We're gonna have to work on that if we wanna beat the good teams this year. But, i do wanna say again that i am glad that we WON!! Go Wildcats!!
Well Orton didn't get much playing time tonight because Cousins & Patterson played so well. Dodson didn't play because he's in the doghouse and he is one of our better scorers. Hood had some good looks tonight, but hasn't got that feel for the game yet. I don't expect much out of Stevenson & Harris. Neither are gifted much athletically, but both will have to be able to give some solid minutes each game and I thought both did well while they where on the floor tonight.
Good win for the Cats.
leecoukfan Wrote:Glad to see Kentucky get the win!! But there were some GOOD things and some BAD things in this one!

Good things:
Kentucky was able to score over 100 points in a game for the first time in a while.
DeMarcus Cousins 27pts, 18rebs, 10-15 shooting, 2blks and only 1 foul. Career highs in both pts and rebs for Cousins early in his career.
John Wall 21pts, 6asts, 4rebs, 7-13 shooting
Patrick Patterson 20pts, 9rebs, 8-9 shooting very impressive!!
Eric Bledsoe 19pts, 6asts, 2stls, 6-10 shooting, 5-7 from 3, and 2blks, Mr. Bledsoe has got some MAJOR HOPS!!
Darius Miller 15pts, 3asts, 5-10 shooting, and 3-6 from 3.
Shot 55% as a team.
Very impressive stats from the starting lineup!!

Bad things:
Kentucky allowed 92 points.
They had 22 turnovers.
The benched scored 0 points.
Corey Allmond went 11-16 from 3 with 37pts. Which sets the record for the most 3 pointers made by anybody at Rupp Arena.
Sam Houston State was able to shoot 18-38 from the 3point line which sets the record for the most 3pointers made by an opponent at Rupp Arena.

I am very impressed with the production we got from our starters considering that they're the only ones that scored and we scored 102 as a team.
I personally would like to see the bench contribute more so we know that the starters don't have to be relied on to win the game for us. I think that Coach Cal needs to start focusing on the defense now because i was AMAZED! When our guys were defending the perimeter tonight they weren't even raising their arms, which is one of the most basic things you are taught to do in basketball! We're gonna have to work on that if we wanna beat the good teams this year. But, i do wanna say again that i am glad that we WON!! Go Wildcats!!

Excellent recap :Thumbs:
Key thing out of this game was the win. Offense was super. Cousins was great. Patterson played another good one. Miller finally looked good. Wall and Bledsoe, minus some turnovers, played a good game. This is a very good starting 5. Dodson needs to do what he needs to do to get out of the doghouse. We need his scoring off the bench. Imagine this team once they get all the wrinkles out.
I'm sitting here watching the UNC game against OSU. We have got to FIX some of these rookie mistakes fast, this team is solid at every aspect of the game and will expose the UK weaknesses that we have seen so far.
Stardust Wrote:I'm sitting here watching the UNC game against OSU. We have got to FIX some of these rookie mistakes fast, this team is solid at every aspect of the game and will expose the UK weaknesses that we have seen so far.

The thing about teams like UNC, UCONN, Indiana, etc. They don't live and die by the 3. They'll go inside and try to score and open it up outside. I think UK's defense would look much better against a team with an inside presence.
^ fair analysis, but these teams are so much better at exposing a teams weaknesses. Both UNC and UConn can shoot the three. If we do not defend the three, they will take the shots and hit them. They both have better inside games. Not the best inside player. PP should cause tremendous match-up problems for both teams. But, my biggest fear does not comes from our three D or our inside experience.

Turnovers - If you give up 20 turnovers to teams like Miami and SHSU and have to PULL out wins, then we could get smoked by these to teams if we make those same mistakes. We cannot turn the ball over. These teams will convert turnovers to qick points. Also, turnovers means you are not getting the ball to PP, thus he becomes less of a factor.
I agree with what most of you are saying. I'm impressed with the starters (minus the turnovers).

What I would like to say about the defense is that the interior defense is pretty good. I mean, Sam Houston State did shoot a below average percentage from the field overall. The perimeter defense is what is killing UK. The Wildcats have got to get out on the opposing shooters; put a hand up, just any kind of defense at all would be better than the effort we're giving right now.

As for the offense, I really liked what I seen at times, and other times it was just a bunch of freshman making everything look sloppy. Bledsoe and Wall have to take better care of the ball. Miller has to be more aggressive and stop hesitating when he's in possession of the basketball. Cousins really looked exceptional on offense (and defense) tonight. Patterson is still the most solid player in all aspects of the game. But I believe that's how it has to be. Patterson is the leader and the most experienced player on the roster. He is showing it so far this season.

I'll take a 3-0 start. Congrats and keep it up Wildcats!
Stardust Wrote:^ fair analysis, but these teams are so much better at exposing a teams weaknesses. Both UNC and UConn can shoot the three. If we do not defend the three, they will take the shots and hit them. They both have better inside games. Not the best inside player. PP should cause tremendous match-up problems for both teams. But, my biggest fear does not comes from our three D or our inside experience.

Turnovers - If you give up 20 turnovers to teams like Miami and SHSU and have to PULL out wins, then we could get smoked by these to teams if we make those same mistakes. We cannot turn the ball over. These teams will convert turnovers to qick points. Also, turnovers means you are not getting the ball to PP, thus he becomes less of a factor.

I can agree with that. UK does have a lot of things to work on, but its mostly small things that overtime they will improve on.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I can agree with that. UK does have a lot of things to work on, but its mostly small things that overtime they will improve on.

Absolutely. I'm by no means don on the Cats, just looking at this squad through objective eyes right now. IMO, this team will look completely different come SEC conference play. By Christmas, I truly beleive that we will see a team that "get's it". I'm looking for Coach Cal to make a defensive adjustment soon. Everyone blasted BCG last year for not making adjustments to defend the three. I foresee a change in the D that either picks up the ball at halfcourt or we try a zone defense. Right now, this defense is EXACTLY the same as last year, last year when everyone was losing their mind over it......
Stardust Wrote:Absolutely. I'm by no means don on the Cats, just looking at this squad through objective eyes right now. IMO, this team will look completely different come SEC conference play. By Christmas, I truly beleive that we will see a team that "get's it". I'm looking for Coach Cal to make a defensive adjustment soon. Everyone blasted BCG last year for not making adjustments to defend the three. I foresee a change in the D that either picks up the ball at halfcourt or we try a zone defense. Right now, this defense is EXACTLY the same as last year, last year when everyone was losing their mind over it......

Yeah, man-to-man, except we press with Cal.
Good game offensively. However defensively there is alot of improvement needed. If UK plays Louisville or UNC like that they are going to get beat by double digits at least. Alot of potential but idk how long its going to be before UK lives up to that potential.
i told the guys at work that there defense was horrible, and after the game coach CAL said this was his worst defensive team EVER......,he said they shouldnt be giving up more than 50-60 points to teams like that,but that they was freshmans and would get better....
give em time
Stardust Wrote:Excellent recap :Thumbs:

Thanks Stardust!
Stardust Wrote:^ fair analysis, but these teams are so much better at exposing a teams weaknesses. Both UNC and UConn can shoot the three. If we do not defend the three, they will take the shots and hit them. They both have better inside games. Not the best inside player. PP should cause tremendous match-up problems for both teams. But, my biggest fear does not comes from our three D or our inside experience.

I totally agree with you about the turnover issue.
thye looked real good staering out just leave the other team wide open from the perimeter
Anybody see Cal's postgame press conference...pretty funny. But seriously, you can tell he is frustrated. Our perimeter D is atrocious but on the bright side I think that its something that can be fixed fairly easily IMO. If thats the worst of our problems this time of year with 3 freshman, a sophomore, and a junior starting then i believe im ok with that.