Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Raceland 7th grader receives HONORS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.dailyindependent.com/localspo...31021.html

Raceland 7th-grader receives honor
Messer chosen for Youth All-American Bowl
Staff report

Connor Messer, a standout seventh-grade running back for Raceland Middle School, is in some elite company.

Messer has been selected to play in the 2010 second annual Football University Youth All-American Bowl in San Antonio on Jan. 10. The game will be broadcast live on the web.

The Football University Youth All-American Bowl honors the top seventh- and eighth- graders in the nation, bringing them together to play in an all-star format on a national stage.

The Football University Youth All-American Bowl is modeled after the U.S. Army All-American Bowl and will be held in the same city during the same week.

The Youth All-American Bowl Week will showcase the top 44 seventh-graders and the top 44 eighth-graders in the nation. Additionally, the week will consist of practices, a skills competition, and break-out sessions with Hall of Famers, current and former NFL stars and celebrities, such as legendary high school football coach Herman Boone and others.

Messer played on Raceland’s seventh-grade team and finished with 1,730 yards rushing on 86 carries. He also had 505 yards receiving on 29 catches and completed 15 of 20 passes for 104 yards.

The Rams were runner-up in the Northeastern Kentucky Conference’s seventh-grade division and Messer was an all-league selection.

The Youth All-Americans will have VIP access to the U.S. Army All-American Bowl and will also be honored during the game on Jan. 9.

Messer was one of more than 300 youth all-stars nominated for the honor. Athletes had to fill out a nomination form and submit a highlight tape. The selection team, which consisted of scouts and youth coaches from around the country, narrowed the field and interviewed finalists.

Once selected, players can be profiled in SI for Kids as All-Americans, as well as featured in other media outlets both local and national. Other national sponsors of the Junior All-American Bowl are Russell Athletics, Schutt Sports, Athletic Republic, World Sporting Goods and SI for Kids.
Congrats to your son that's a big honor I was going to post this this morning but I fell asleep before they updated the site which usually updates about 6am. I read it about 3 am this morning when I got the news paper.
Big congrats to Connor!
Congratulations!
Congrats to you and Connor Doug. You gotta be proud. Smile
Very!!!!
Congrats! Make Kentucky proud.

Just to show how flawed the kymsfa "all-state" selection is....this boy was a "honorable mention." Figure that one.

Was a first teamer on MY list

Way to go, good job!
One of my friends told me about this kid and told me I had to go see him play. And I did so and wasn't dissappointed! He was everywhere! Raceland 1A State Champs in 2013 and 2014!!!
What were his stats vs. Ashland?
10 carries 101 yards = 10 yard average
6 receptions for 70 yards= 10+ yards a reception
1 TD, 1 EX

10 tackles , 3 for loss, 1 sack
1 INT for 50 yards
1 TD
Here are his stats against Greenup who knocked out Verity in the playoffs...
12 rushes for 175 yards
2 receptions for 50 yards
2 TD and 1 EX

11 tackles , 1 for loss.
Quest4Heisman Wrote:What were his stats vs. Ashland?

Bottom line is Mr. Heisman.......Had we had an actual offensive line to run and throw behind I am convinced that nobody in this state stays within 20 points of Raceland. I don't care what anybody else says on here... that is a fact. Raceland 7th grade done wonders this year with what they had on the line. The seargent kidd is the only actual lineman we had. The Bowling kid too me is more tight end material than anything. Yes Verity did beat us twice. Once in overtime and, 22-0 the second time. Keep in mind that the 2nd game there was no score until the 4th quarter. That's 5A against 1A.....junior!! We also liked how your egomanical infantile coach onside kicked with 2 minutes to go up 22-0. We all will remember that.....Junior!!!
Mr. Deviloligist,
those stats are an out and out fabrication and not part of either of the 2 Ashland games I saw. Now if you would like I believe we could put the tape up for all to see. Let judge and jury keep the stats for both games. Unless maybe you quoted the wrong game!!
Devil,
"Thou shalt not fabricate stats!!" Spoke to some Raceland parents and they were embarrassed.

:flush:
I have watched this posting and will now comment.
1. The selection to Texas is based on video and prior attendance to Football University Camps.
2. From what I understand, this kid attended a camp in Nashville this past summer and was then selected to attend the Top Gun camp in Florida.
3. The parents have no control of who is selected to go to Top Gun, the kids are selected by the FBU coaches.
4. The selection to All-American Game in San Antonio is completed by the national selection committee, FBU coaches and FBU board members. From what I understand , this parent is neither of those. SO the parents have no say.
5. FBU promotes their athletes to the next level. With FBU watching this kid this summer in Nashville, inviting him to Top Gun camp in Florida and then selecting him to play in Texas, my suggestion is get your kids into camp with FBU and have them have their turn.

6. OH and to let everyone know, the athlete in question here is not going as a running back or receiver, he did not qualify. This athlete is going as defensive back and kick/punt returner. So the whole question about stats and what is correct really does not make an arguement. I have seen this kids film and he made the selection on the defensive side of the ball.

I do think it is HORRIBLE that a parent or adult would post attacks on a public page to a kid or parent. SHAME!
I don't have a problem with the kid getting selected by these organizations. The right kids are not always selected. What I do have a problem with is Daddy list himself as a FBU scout, and obviously does everything in his power to give his kid an advantage. Fabricating, padding, lieing about stats and posting to media publications, thats dirty and dishonest. Not only does it affect his kid, but its a slap in the face to his conference and his opponents.

Post scripture then post lies. Not credible in my eyes or credible with people on your own team. :flush: :flush: :flush:
i dont know how much of the conversation is true. i know they are not picking the best players in 7th grade. louisville doesnt even get to have kids go.I also know of a kid who went to fbu camp in Nashville and was invited to the topgun camp in Florida. As a 7th grader this kid led his 8th grade team to a 11-0 season. I seen him on youtube Jalen Washington. This kid can flatout play.so HEISMAN mayb right. The best kids are not always selected.Not to take anything from Connor. He is a good pck also. Once again congrats to Connor M.
Standout-Athletes Wrote:I have watched this posting and will now comment.
1. The selection to Texas is based on video and prior attendance to Football University Camps.
2. From what I understand, this kid attended a camp in Nashville this past summer and was then selected to attend the Top Gun camp in Florida.
3. The parents have no control of who is selected to go to Top Gun, the kids are selected by the FBU coaches.
4. The selection to All-American Game in San Antonio is completed by the national selection committee, FBU coaches and FBU board members. From what I understand , this parent is neither of those. SO the parents have no say.
5. FBU promotes their athletes to the next level. With FBU watching this kid this summer in Nashville, inviting him to Top Gun camp in Florida and then selecting him to play in Texas, my suggestion is get your kids into camp with FBU and have them have their turn.

6. OH and to let everyone know, the athlete in question here is not going as a running back or receiver, he did not qualify. This athlete is going as defensive back and kick/punt returner. So the whole question about stats and what is correct really does not make an arguement. I have seen this kids film and he made the selection on the defensive side of the ball.

I do think it is HORRIBLE that a parent or adult would post attacks on a public page to a kid or parent. SHAME!

You are partly correct on some of your posts. You are absolutely wrong on others.

1. This is partially correct. Going to an FBU camp normally does get you an inside shot at participating in the FBU All-American Bowl. Sometimes this happens, sometimes it does not (I don't need to elaborate further). This young man did in fact attend the FBU Camp and FBU Top Gun. Video is submitted to the person who makes the selections for the All-American Game in Texas.

2. Correct.

3. Not correct. Kentucky is the only state that is supposed to have an agreement with FBU for it's middle school association to coordinate with them for player submissions. All of the other players selected (outside of KY), the players are submitted by their parent/guardian. This particular player was not submitted by the KMSFA. He had been selected before the KMSFA ever submitted ANY players to FBU. I can assume how he was submitted, however I have never been able to get a straight answer.

4. Not correct. Not by a long shot. All players for this year's game were selected by one person. His name is Erik Richards. He came and made the presentations in Frankfort last weekend. There is no committee. There are no FBU coaches. People submit their players to him and then lobby to him.

5. I agree with this. FBU has said that participating in their camps is a good way to get looked at by them. I will withold my opinion any further after that.

6. Not correct. According to his presentation by FBU, he is going as a WR. Mr. Richards absolutely guaranteed that no player will play any position other than what they were selected to go there for.

This is what Mr. Richards read about this particular player at the FBU Presentation - 7th Grade Wide Receiver Selection – WR/LB 7th Grade Raceland # 1 Connor Messer (2009 KYMSFA Honorable Mention to All-State Team – 7th Grade at RB and at LB) (2009 FBU Top Gun - Receivers), (2009 FBU Select Camp – Nashville - Recs); Northeastern Kentucky All-Conference Team; KYMSFA Playoff Offensive MVP 2009; KYMSFA Playoff Defensive MVP 2009; “Standout Athlete” of 2009 by Standout Athletes @ http://www.standoutathletes.org; Coach Francis commented that: “Connor Messer is a very talented player, and he is a harder worker than he is talented. Messer has great skills and great athletic ability. He can do about anything you need on a football field. Messer is a one-man gang. Messer can cover the other team’s fastest receiver, come up and take on an offensive tackle, on third down he can get you a sack, and then on fourth he’ll return the punt for a touchdown. Messer has a high football IQ. Offensive is easy, just put the ball in Messer’s hands and get out of the way. Messer can run, catch, take the snap, lead block, whatever you need. Connor Messer is a special player and the best I’ve coached.”
P.S. And let me be clear, I am in no way being critical of the young man who was selected. On the video I have seen of him versus other 7th graders he appears to be ahead of most of them. I wish him nothing but success in Texas.