Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Will Coach Cal Retire A Wildcat
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Thoughts and opinions
Did he sign an 8 year deal?
I think he will if he dont get in trouble with the ncaa
I think he will. Where is he gonna go thats better than UK?
If he doesn't get into any kind of trouble, then I don't see why he would EVER leave U.K. or why we would ever get rid of a coach like CAl.....
He will leave just before UK gets put on probation for stuff he "didn't know"
I think it all depends on how well he does. If he wins championship after championship then I think he stays until he stops winning. If he can't win here due to whatever reason then I think he'll go on to another school where he thinks he might have a shot. Altough he does really seem to be enjoying the Bluegrass. I thnk he stays with us for quite a while.
I think for all these guys that came through during the 90's era, they have all flirted with the idea of the NBA. Pitino should be an example of why not to do it, but they all have that temptation. Especially if he has success at UK, it will be all the more incentive. Just like Pitino, if you win a champsionship, what is left to do. I would hope that Cal would take the approach that Coach K and Roy Williams have taken, and enjoy the teaching aspect to college Basketball, because you are no longer a teacher in the NBA. I believe the NBA is the only lure that could take Cal away from the Wildcats.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:I think he will if he dont get in trouble with the ncaa

PLAYBOY5 Wrote:If he doesn't get into any kind of trouble, then I don't see why he would EVER leave U.K. or why we would ever get rid of a coach like CAl.....

Jarons Wrote:He will leave just before UK gets put on probation for stuff he "didn't know"

All legit, whether others want to blindly look at it or not. :Thumbs:
I think he is here as long as he wants to be. He has tried the NBA, that failed big time.
Amun-Ra Wrote:I think he is here as long as he wants to be. He has tried the NBA, that failed big time.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but the failed attempt is all the more reason why he may want to try it again. Even Pitino said he still would like to fix what he failed at in the NBA. These guys are as successful as they are bcause of their ego. They don't look at a failure as the reason to not do something. In many cases it drives them even more.
I just cant see Cal retiring as a Wildcat. Lets face it, the guy gets recruits because hes "hip" to whats going on with a young generation. He is the most tech savvy promoter out there. He knows what hes doing. As generations change and Cal gets older this (could) change. Not saying that it will, but it could. If Cal stops pulling in those recruits one day and Kentucky starts taking steps backwards again **** be out the door just like Tubby was. I hope this never happens because I love Coach Cal but its very possible. And the guy loves coaching so much im sure that he would try somewhere else. Lets just hope after his 8 years is up he is the same guy that came to Kentucky, ready to tackle the job and happy to do it. We UK fans can be pretty hard on a coach and make them feel a little unwelcome at times lol.
I'd say Cal will be here as long as he likes
Yes, i think he will stay here for the rest of his career because he has the opportunity to have the most success of his career at the most prestigious college basketball team in the nation.
Stardust Wrote:I'm not disagreeing with you, but the failed attempt is all the more reason why he may want to try it again. Even Pitino said he still would like to fix what he failed at in the NBA. These guys are as successful as they are bcause of their ego. They don't look at a failure as the reason to not do something. In many cases it drives them even more.
I agree with you...maybe he would like to redeem himself someday, who knows? I can't see him taking another college job though. I read an interview not too long ago that asked Cal if he would ever go back to the NBA and he replied "I will never say never, but there are only one or two NBA jobs that are better than the job that I have right now"
Quote:All legit, whether others want to blindly look at it or not.

that is exactly right
Coach Pitino said the biggest mistake he ever made was leaving KY,where else can you go and coach that would be better....Coach Cals here for a long,long time
Long long time
Here is the way I look at it. Cal is a great coach and always will be...there may be better but not many. He can recruit like no other. but he will NEVER have an undefeated season at UK...and I hope he retires at Uk because UK is back at the top of the nation. But i dont think he will retire at UK
i believe he will be here so long we will have to run him out of town if it comes to that though
If I correctly recall, Cal said at some point in an interview that he can't see himself coaching much longer... He made a point that he didn't want to be coaching into his sixties.. he is fifty now.
so that gives us what 10 years thats enough championship rings bonuses and 5 star athletes for him to change his mind
Hopefully he is here for the long run. I dont know anywhere else in college that he would want to go that is better than KY so that leaves me to agree with Stardust, if he leaves, it'll be for the NBA. :Thumbs:
If another school offer more money, he is gone. If the NBA try to get him back, he is gone. To coach UK, is harder then anyother college out there. Two years ago when that lil team beat UK. It was all over ESPN a few weeks. If DUKE, NC, UCLA, or anyother power school would have lose that game. They would talk about it that one night, and it will be over. This is way i don't think he will stay at UK that long.
Will we be happy if in the next 10 years we get 10 straight NCAA Appearances, 8 Sweet 16's, 6 Elite 8's, 4 Final 4's, ZERO championships?

Does anyone still think dUKe is a National power? They have have been getting just as many 5 star players as any other team in the Country, but zero champsionships in the last 10 years. Memphis, with the great recruits that they have had during the Cal era, never one a championship, and it could be argued that Cal has had better talent on his Finals teams that lost then the team that beat them, but he was out-coached in the championship game.

Many of the hardcore UK fans have made Coach Cal a Savior, how disappointed will the faithful be if we do not get banners with our success? Cal definitely can recruit and build winning records, but his X's and O's with better players than the opposing team has been suspect. He's going to recruit like nobody else, but can he really coach? I hope he can because I for one don't want to just get to the dance, I want to win!
Your So Negative. ^
Just real. It's a legit question.

I have read so many posts about how good our program will be, and I beleive we will be. But with all these expectations, is it possible to live up to them?

I hope Coach Cal brings back to UK what Pitino had built this program back into. Do I expect champsionships, absolutely. Do I understand that it's not just recruiting great athletes, Yes!

We have all been so gung-ho about Coach Cals ability to recruit, this is not new for him. I'd put his resume to recruit with the best to ever coach this game.
Cal has brought a lot of hype on himself though...as much as i love the guy being our new coach (lets be honest he was the best fit possible) he is the biggest bs'er in the nation. Once he got all that hype going he realized what Kentucky fans are all about and started to retract a lot of statements pretty quickly.
here forever and ever and ever he will be here long enough everybody in the bluegrass will have him on speed dial
UKsportsfan Wrote:Cal has brought a lot of hype on himself though...as much as i love the guy being our new coach (lets be honest he was the best fit possible) he is the biggest bs'er in the nation. Once he got all that hype going he realized what Kentucky fans are all about and started to retract a lot of statements pretty quickly.

I'm fine with the BS. Let's face it, he is the face of the Program. Not Wall, Not PP, not Rupp, Pitino, Not Grevey, Mashburn or Macy - Right Now he is the PROGRAM. Those guys are teh past or soon to be past - Cal is the present and hopefully, possitive future. So all eyes are on him. I want him to sell me, make be a believer. Hey, I want to have my expectations exaggerated. His job is to sell. That's the purpose of any leader of any organization. He is not just "Coach", he is the lead Marketing rep.

My hope is that he is not ALL BS, and he can back it up with championships
Pages: 1 2