Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Boise State begging to play big schools!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Boise State has officially said publicly that they have extended invitations to some big time schools for them to come play them on the blue turf or they would even go on the road, and that who ever they play does not have to return the favor the next season that they just want to prove that they can play with the big boys but so far nobody has answered the call so there are waiting for any team to step up..

Question is whats your take on this idea is it good or bad for Boise State to call out big time BCS schools?
I like the idea...IF Boise State wins!

The BCS will not give them any respect for a strength-of-schedule, if it has no strength. I could see a team like Notre Dame (That has NO conference ties) scheduling them. That would probably be the first team to do it. I don't think it is realistic but they would have the easiest time with scheduling because they are a D-1 independent.
thats true i never looked at it like that because some conference schools like florida, alabama and even USC has deals with smaller schools as part of a home and home deal because it brings in alot of money for the smaller schools and then you have the in state battles when people step out of conference
examples:
Florida-Florida state
Georgia-Georgia tech
USC-Notre Dame every year
This is nothing new. The Mid-Majors have been calling out the bigger schools forever.

But look what you put in your thread - "extended invitations to some big time schools for them to come play them on the blue turf". What MAJOR school in their right mind would give up a home game where they make $5-10M to go to BSU and get what - $150-250K. This is business. BSU, Utah, Hawaii -all these schools have thrown out the "I can't get the big schools to play me". That's BS, the big schools will play these teams, but the Big schools are not going to give away MILLIONS of dollars just to help the little school get some recognition. That's not being scared by the big school, that's not being STUPID! BSU was lucky and got Oregon to play them on their turf this year - know why - ESPN gave Oregon $3M to play on Thursday night to kick-off the season. That game was scheduled 2 years ago.

When the Mid-Majors can fill 100K stadium and offer teams $3M+ to come to their house to play, then teams will come there to play. Instead, Boise has a 50K stadium that grosses about $1M total per game, thus if Boise wants to play with the Big boys, then they will have to Travel - but that my friend is not what these schools want.

So, with that said, where would I like to see Boise TRAVEL too:

SEC: Florida, Bama, LSU - see what speed is all about

Big 10: Penn St., OSU - See what power is all about

Big 12: Texas, Oklahoma (OK had no motivation 2 years ago after they were snubbed in their BCS game, thus they didn't care in the Bowl game) - let BSU play a game that means something during the season.
Stardust Wrote:This is nothing new. The Mid-Majors have been calling out the bigger schools forever.

But look what you put in your thread - "extended invitations to some big time schools for them to come play them on the blue turf". What MAJOR school in their right mind would give up a home game where they make $5-10M to go to BSU and get what - $150-250K. This is business. BSU, Utah, Hawaii -all these schools have thrown out the "I can't get the big schools to play me". That's BS, the big schools will play these teams, but the Big schools are not going to give away MILLIONS of dollars just to help the little school get some recognition. That's not being scared by the big school, that's not being STUPID! BSU was lucky and got Oregon to play them on their turf this year - know why - ESPN gave Oregon $3M to play on Thursday night to kick-off the season. That game was scheduled 2 years ago.

When the Mid-Majors can fill 100K stadium and offer teams $3M+ to come to their house to play, then teams will come there to play. Instead, Boise has a 50K stadium that grosses about $1M total per game, thus if Boise wants to play with the Big boys, then they will have to Travel - but that my friend is not what these schools want.

Big 12: Texas, Oklahoma (OK had no motivation 2 years ago after they were snubbed in their BCS game, thus they didn't care in the Bowl game) - let BSU play a game that means something during the season.
Somebody knows EXACTLY what their talking about..I agree 110%..Great post!:Thumbs: Personally I would LOVE for Bama to play Boise to start off the season, and heck, Id even let the game be in the Georgia Dome for a neutral site. I hate that smurf turf. That crap gives me a headache..
I know it would be more money for the bigger school to play at home but they said that what ever school accepted and they called it a challenge that they would play either at a neutral site or home or away it did not matter to them...
BigBlueBobcatFan Wrote:I know it would be more money for the bigger school to play at home but they said that what ever school accepted and they called it a challenge that they would play either at a neutral site or home or away it did not matter to them...

Don't be confused, this is 100% about money. Sure Boise would say home and away series, why wouldn't they. But you are asking a big school to give up $3+M to go play in the 50K seat blue-turf field? Why in their right mind would they do that? Just so BSU gets respect? Do you really think Bama, Florida, Ohio State, Texas, Oklahoma really cares about BSU getting respect? These teams play a killer schedule every week in their own conference. They knock each other out of playing in a National title game, why would they care if they can help BSU get into a title game?
see your point so would they be any way that Boise State switches conferences and if so what conference could and would they be able to move to or by NCAA would they be allowed to switch to a BCS conference to just be able to be a contender for the title because they can go undefeated every year and still they will never play for a national title.
because that stupid computer would rather see a 1 loss SEC team and either a big ten or pac ten school with 1 loss play for the title than them only way Boise State gets a title shot in that conference is college football switch to a playoff system which will more than likely not happen.
my bad cant forget about the big 12 schools that get blowed out by the sec school every year like texas will get destroyed by Alabama this year
I know you are trying to defend them, and that is appreciated. But the reality is the schools in the Big 10, SEC, Big 12, Pac 10 - they all deserve to be there because they can consistently maintain the level of play every year. BSU is having a cycle, just like Hawaii did a few years ago, then they dropped off the face of the earth. Just like BYU did in the early 80's, then dropped off for the next 20 years. This happens all the time. BSU will likely be forgotten about in the next 5 years. Yet, Bama, Oklahoma, Ohio State, will live on forever.
Very Very True but a question to you Mr. Stardust Say next year they put Boise State in the Pac ten and make it the pac 11 and this is there schedule how will they do

G1-home against Florida Atlantic
G2-home against Central Michigan
G3-@Arizona
G4-@Oregon
G5-@USC
G6-home against Washington
G7-@Oregon State
G8-home aginst Stanford
G9-@Utah
G10-home against Cal
G11-home against UCLA
G12-@Washington State

this is just a wacky made up schedule but i gave them the 3 non conference games and 9 conference games and give them six at home and six on the road
I think Boise State deserves a chance because they have proven themselves in a big game with Oklahoma a few years ago. We can make excuses for Oklahoma but they lost. Fair and square. We can compare them to Hawaii but they have had a more competitive, winning football program for a longer period of time under different coaches. This is all the more reason for a playoff instead of BCS ratings. This is one of the few things recently that I support President Obama on.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:I think Boise State deserves a chance because they have proven themselves in a big game with Oklahoma a few years ago. We can make excuses for Oklahoma but they lost. Fair and square. We can compare them to Hawaii but they have had a more competitive, winning football program for a longer period of time under different coaches. This is all the more reason for a playoff instead of BCS ratings. This is one of the few things recently that I support President Obama on.

I agree with the playoff system, and Boise getting a shot at a bowl game, but that is not what this thread is about.
Moore has publicly said he is interested in entering the NFL. Avery is thought to be a 3-4th round draft pick. Their defense is Senior laden. That said, they would likely be a sub .500 Pac Team at best.

BigBlueBobcatFan Wrote:Very Very True but a question to you Mr. Stardust Say next year they put Boise State in the Pac ten and make it the pac 11 and this is there schedule how will they do

G1-home against Florida Atlantic
G2-home against Central Michigan
G3-@Arizona
G4-@Oregon
G5-@USC
G6-home against Washington
G7-@Oregon State
G8-home aginst Stanford
G9-@Utah
G10-home against Cal
G11-home against UCLA
G12-@Washington State

this is just a wacky made up schedule but i gave them the 3 non conference games and 9 conference games and give them six at home and six on the road
Stardust Wrote:This is nothing new. The Mid-Majors have been calling out the bigger schools forever.

On yahoo it says that Boise St. has offered to come play the road with the big school having no obligation to come play on the smurf turf. I really dont think it would make much difference anyways since the BCS only allows, USC, Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State and about half of the SEC to wi the national title.
elkcity2224 Wrote:On yahoo it says that Boise St. has offered to come play the road with the big school having no obligation to come play on the smurf turf. I really dont think it would make much difference anyways since the BCS only allows, USC, Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State and about half of the SEC to wi the national title.

I've heard Boise's coach say he would love to play home and away series but can't get teams to play them.
This year's Boise State would demolish Notre Dame.....
EKUAlum05 Wrote:This year's Boise State would demolish Notre Dame.....

Breathitt County would demolish Notre Dame
Boise upsets teams everynow and then but they will never get alot of respect from me till they get in a better conference.
Amun-Ra Wrote:Boise upsets teams everynow and then but they will never get alot of respect from me till they get in a better conference.

I don't see that happening. Not with a 50K seat stadium and an inability to draw fans when they go on the road. I still think this team drops off significnatly next year when they graduate their defense and likely lose their QB anr TB.

This is just like BYU have a few decent years, then dropping off. TCU is having a great year this year, but will disappear next year. Utah was as good as they will get last year.
I can't believe that they have no takers, i mean they're even willing to go to their opponents home venue and whoever they play won't even have to return the favor the next year! That sounds like a pretty good deal to me! The amount of money that this type of game would bring in would be crazy and ESPN is even offering to televise the game as well.
I would love to see them play Florida since they're currently the #1 team in the nation, it would be a great matchup! But, what would make the most sense and be the most compatible in the schedule would be Notre Dame since they're independent and have no conference schedule.
I hope one of these teams picks Boise State up on their schedule because it would provide for a good game and maybe the BCS would finally gve them some credit!!
^ Why would it be a good game? They won't have anyone next year! They will go back to being an also ran in a mid major league. All these people who want to see the big teams play a Boise State, take a lesson when teams started scheduling Hawaii, when Hawaii had two years of decent football. Hawaii graduated their studs and went back to SUCK! Please, BSU is just a nice story that will go away like any other fad. It would not be good football for the big conferences.

Football schedules are 2-3 years out. So what if USC, Florida or Ohio State puts them on the schedule. What will BSU have in three years when they play that first game?
Stardust Wrote:^ Why would it be a good game? They won't have anyone next year! They will go back to being an also ran in a mid major league. All these people who want to see the big teams play a Boise State, take a lesson when teams started scheduling Hawaii, when Hawaii had two years of decent football. Hawaii graduated their studs and went back to SUCK! Please, BSU is just a nice story that will go away like any other fad. It would not be good football for the big conferences.

Football schedules are 2-3 years out. So what if USC, Florida or Ohio State puts them on the schedule. What will BSU have in three years when they play that first game?

Why wouldn't be a good game? They get they're top 4 rushing leaders back next year in Jeremy Avery, Doug Martin, DJ Harper, and Titus Young. They get they're top 3 recievers back next year in Austin Pettis, Titus Young, and Tyler Shoemaker. They get they're starting QB back in Kellen Moore!

And you do realize that they only have 4 seniors, so all they're good players will be back next year!!

So yes it will be a good game IMO!!
leecoukfan Wrote:Why wouldn't be a good game? They get they're top 4 rushing leaders back next year in Jeremy Avery, Doug Martin, DJ Harper, and Titus Young. They get they're top 3 recievers back next year in Austin Pettis, Titus Young, and Tyler Shoemaker. They get they're starting QB back in Kellen Moore!

And you do realize that they only have 4 seniors, so all they're good players will be back next year!!

So yes it will be a good game IMO!!

Did you not read my post! Schedules are SET! The earliest this would get on anyones schedule would be THREE YEARS!
Boise St. played Georgia a few years ago and got it handed to them. I won't deny that Boise is a pretty good team, especially at home. However, they would be a mediocre team, at best, in a conference like the SEC.
BloodyHarlanVOL Wrote:Boise St. played Georgia a few years ago and got it handed to them. I won't deny that Boise is a pretty good team, especially at home. However, they would be a mediocre team, at best, in a conference like the SEC.

Agree completely :Thumbs:
Stardust Wrote:Breathitt County would demolish Notre Dame

At least their fans would think so Big Grin
Quote:At least their fans would think so

True
EKUAlum05 Wrote:This year's Boise State would demolish Notre Dame.....
That would be one of the very few teams I would pull for Boise over..ND, Tennessee, Auburn, along with a couple more but definitely those three lol..
You guys are missing one point. Boise has an open challenge to go on the road and play any team in the country in 2011. They are not asking for a return game. There goes the money argument. Boise is the real deal and has been for some time. They dismantled Alabama last year and nobody wants a piece of that.
Pages: 1 2 3