Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Morgan Newton
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
6'4, 220 lbs. Raw. Young. And a fantastic future ahead of him. I REALLY love this kid. He has a good aura about him, and I believe he's going to be a great leader and player for UK. A good lookin football player!!
Yea and if they would have given him the snaps early in the year i think he would be very good right now.
Playing pretty good on this drive!
Freshmen Mistakes.
lwc Wrote:Playing pretty good on this drive!

Wildcatk23 Wrote:Freshmen Mistakes.

I spoke too soon Sad
U dont do this. Never. 1st And Goal. Give the ball to your money player cobb and lett him run it in.
Newton will be a very good player in UK's future. However, it's obvious that his decision making still needs to improve drastically (red zone interception, taking sacks, not reading defenses, etc.) I really do feel Fidler could have made some sort of difference in this game, especially in the passing game, but that's getting off topic. I really like Newton's potential. But tonight showed what happens when you rely 100% on a true freshman in the SEC.
I agree with all of you, but keep in mind, he's still an 18 year old kid with a TON of potential. I question Jokers play calling a lot and I think it would be a shame to hold this kid back. Newton will be a real star if given the right oppurtunity, and not with Joker calling 45 screen passes every game.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:I agree with all of you, but keep in mind, he's still an 18 year old kid with a TON of potential. I question Jokers play calling a lot and I think it would be a shame to hold this kid back. Newton will be a real star if given the right oppurtunity, and not with Joker calling 45 screen passes every game.
I agree. Put him in positions to succeed and build confidence. I don't know if I like the ball in the hands of an "18 year old kid with a ton of POTENTIAL" with a game of this magnitude on the line. I know Fidler isn't much more experienced, but at least he has shown signs of making good decisions. Newton is still a very up and down player, and this will only help him grow. It was play calling, defensive lapses, decison making...everything in this game just went wrong for UK!
^ Good post
StrikeoutKing Wrote:I agree. Put him in positions to succeed and build confidence. I don't know if I like the ball in the hands of an "18 year old kid with a ton of POTENTIAL" with a game of this magnitude on the line. I know Fidler isn't much more experienced, but at least he has shown signs of making good decisions. Newton is still a very up and down player, and this will only help him grow. It was play calling, defensive lapses, decison making...everything in this game just went wrong for UK!
Agreed but it would have been nice if UK's defense decided to show up and help him out a little bit...and I would rather Newton have the ball than Hartline..
Not in the final couple of drives. You say all you want to about Hartline, but with him, we beat South Carolina, and we win tonight, even as bad as our defense played. Hartline wasn't the most accurate passer by any means, but neither am I, but I can make good decisions with the football, and I've only played one game of football in my life. Newton will be GREAT! There is no doubt. But losing Hartline has now caught up with us. Fidler hadn't played a whole lot, and now, against an SEC team, the coaching decides to win, or in this case lose, with a true freshman quarterback. Rich Brooks said all threw the season before Hartline's injury that Newton has had the physical tools, but he hasn't been able to pick up on readng defenses and he hadn't been making good decisions. Hmm...I think tonight we saw first hand just what he was talking about. It's funny, everyone calls for Newton withoutn seeing how he does in practice, or how he performs behind closed doors, and then what do you know. He's not superman. He's a regular 18 year old kid. I can tell you right now, if we win a bowl game, or even make it to one, it will not be because of Newton's QB play, although he may be the one taking snaps.
StrikeoutKing Wrote:Not in the final couple of drives. You say all you want to about Hartline, but with him, we beat South Carolina, and we win tonight, even as bad as our defense played. Hartline wasn't the most accurate passer by any means, but neither am I, but I can make good decisions with the football, and I've only played one game of football in my life. Newton will be GREAT! There is no doubt. But losing Hartline has now caught up with us. Fidler hadn't played a whole lot, and now, against an SEC team, the coaching decides to win, or in this case lose, with a true freshman quarterback. Rich Brooks said all threw the season before Hartline's injury that Newton has had the physical tools, but he hasn't been able to pick up on readng defenses and he hadn't been making good decisions. Hmm...I think tonight we saw first hand just what he was talking about. It's funny, everyone calls for Newton withoutn seeing how he does in practice, or how he performs behind closed doors, and then what do you know. He's not superman. He's a regular 18 year old kid. I can tell you right now, if we win a bowl game, or even make it to one, it will not be because of Newton's QB play, although he may be the one taking snaps.
I agree with a lot of your post. I really do. I never bashed Hartline, or called for his head everytime he made a mistake. However, Ill say that the South Carolina game was the only game against decent competition that he looked like he knew what he was doing. I was never confident with him taking snaps. Dont get me wrong, I never said Newton was superman, or he was a superstar RIGHT NOW, but IN TIME he has the potential to be really really good. Yeah I agree, he's an 18 year old kid being thrown into a starting quarterback position in the heart of an SEC schedule, so sure he's going to have some growing pains, some ups and downs, but the rest of the team needs to step it up. The defensive playcalling was absolutely abysmal tonight. Worse than atrocious. Steve Brown really makes me scratch my head at times, along with Joker. Ill agree that if UK goes to a bowl game it wont be due to his taking snaps, but I believe he can be a weapon. Ill say this though, and this is just my opinion, but I dont think UK would beat Georgia or Tennessee with either qb. I believe theyll beat Eastern and HOPEFULLY Vandy, but I believe the Vandy game will be tougher than people think. UK fans, especially on BGR, and youll agree with me on this I believe, set their standards and goals WAY too high for this team. I picked UK 5-7 before the season started, because I didnt think theyd beat Auburn, with MSU and Vandy being the swing games, so if they can beat Vandy (and EKU), I believe that everybody in the Commonwealth should be happy with 6 wins and a bowl game. But they DONT need to call for Newtons head when he makes mistakes. The last thing he needs is for the entire state to egg him like they did Hartline.
StrikeoutKing Wrote:Not in the final couple of drives. You say all you want to about Hartline, but with him, we beat South Carolina, and we win tonight, even as bad as our defense played. Hartline wasn't the most accurate passer by any means, but neither am I, but I can make good decisions with the football, and I've only played one game of football in my life. Newton will be GREAT! There is no doubt. But losing Hartline has now caught up with us. Fidler hadn't played a whole lot, and now, against an SEC team, the coaching decides to win, or in this case lose, with a true freshman quarterback. Rich Brooks said all threw the season before Hartline's injury that Newton has had the physical tools, but he hasn't been able to pick up on readng defenses and he hadn't been making good decisions. Hmm...I think tonight we saw first hand just what he was talking about. It's funny, everyone calls for Newton withoutn seeing how he does in practice, or how he performs behind closed doors, and then what do you know. He's not superman. He's a regular 18 year old kid. I can tell you right now, if we win a bowl game, or even make it to one, it will not be because of Newton's QB play, although he may be the one taking snaps.

Once Again with the coaches saying this why give him the ball 3 plays in A Row in the redzone. how about the wildcat with cobb and locke.
You know I think Mike hartline will be a legit NFL QB after he graduates and I always liked him. He never made the big plays but he managed the game. In morgan Newton however I saw flashes of absolute greatness. I think he will be the next tim couch except with a good pro career.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:You know I think Mike hartline will be a legit NFL QB after he graduates and I always liked him. He never made the big plays but he managed the game. In morgan Newton however I saw flashes of absolute greatness. I think he will be the next tim couch except with a good pro career.

Legit NFL QB? Lol,
Newton sure sucked *** during the Miss. State game. Cost us the game actually.
ComfortEagle Wrote:Newton sure sucked *** during the Miss. State game. Cost us the game actually.

WOW! Again. You Know The Coaches Do Make Bad Play Calling And They Did.

Give It To Cobb! Its 1st And Goal. On The 4 Yard Line. Let Cobb Run It In. Or A Screen Pass To Locke.
I see him playing on sundays..
ComfortEagle Wrote:Newton sure sucked *** during the Miss. State game. Cost us the game actually.

Can't just place it on one guy the D did give up almost 600 yards offense and over 300 on the ground. Newton did make mistakes I will give you that but this was coaching error and a horrible team effort.
Keep in mind that Newton changed some of the plays. The coaches called certain plays, then Newton decided to do his own thing and run it.

I was not impressed by Newton at all and wished Fidler would get put in.

And the problem with saying "Give it to Cobb!" is that we can't give it to Cobb on every play.

Cobb didn't impress very much last night either.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:UK fans, especially on BGR, and youll agree with me on this I believe, set their standards and goals WAY too high for this team. I picked UK 5-7 before the season started, because I didnt think theyd beat Auburn, with MSU and Vandy being the swing games, so if they can beat Vandy (and EKU), I believe that everybody in the Commonwealth should be happy with 6 wins and a bowl game. But they DONT need to call for Newtons head when he makes mistakes. The last thing he needs is for the entire state to egg him like they did Hartline.
I told someone the other day that Kentucky will never be one of those football teams to win 9-10 games a season and compete nationally. They may every now and then, but I don't see it on a consistent basis. I agree that fans set their standards way too high. Yes, we won 3 straight bowls, we have a solid defense (or that was the thought entering the season). I would be more than happy with a 7-8 win season every season and a bowl game, regardless of bowl. Sure, they're are a trillion bowls, but I'd much ratehr be one of the 400 schools to play in a bowl game than one of the 15 that don't. I'm excited to watch Newton and Mossakowski play QB for the next 3-4 years. I agree taking his lumps will help in the long run, but if I'm a coach during last night's game, I think about the present and beating Mississippi State. :Thumbs:
IMO he will do fine the rest of the year.
I think with our experienced qb out, Newton has been given the opportunity to gain big game experience. He has held up pretty good but has still made many many youthful mistakes. With him getting this kind of play, I think that the sky is the limit with his raw skillset. Let him take his lumps and gain this experience. We should get to 6-6 and go to a bowl more than likely playing in the Music City Bowl again. It is a hard decision when your best opition at qb is also your best opition at WR. Morgan will be a stud the next few years.
ComfortEagle Wrote:Keep in mind that Newton changed some of the plays. The coaches called certain plays, then Newton decided to do his own thing and run it.

I was not impressed by Newton at all and wished Fidler would get put in.

And the problem with saying "Give it to Cobb!" is that we can't give it to Cobb on every play.

Cobb didn't impress very much last night either.

Cobb gets about 245 all purpose yards and that is not impressive? Rushed for 1 TD was 0-1 passing but that pass did draw a PI to set up a TD. Now he did not have much luck in the run game and after a while MSU changed coverage to take him away.

The only people that honestly know how much Netwon was checking on his own. I am sure he did not have the whole check system to him. If Netwon develops then his Jr and Sr years should be good. Maybe even his Soph but he has issues. He has issues getting off his first read. He is slow even getting through any type of progression and his deep ball is having some issue. He got one rec killed and almost got another one. I think he will get there it is just going to drive some people nuts. It also might take longer than some want.
The only thing that I see personally about him is he is still in the "run first" mentality. I know he is a true freshman in every sense of the the word but he has to learn and in time I'm sure he will that unless your Tim Tebow and have a championship caliber offensive line you can't run like that in the SEC. Maybe later in his college career he will be able to do that and i hope he can. I personally blame the UK coaching staff for the loss to Miss St the play call was horrible!
I think he has the run first mentality because I truly think he is scared to mess up by throwing an INT. He is seeing what everyone always meant when they talk about the speed in the S.E.C. Give him time and it will all come together.
I really like Morgan Newton and im glad that he is getting all this playing time! Because he is gettin the needed experience to be a top QB in the SEC starting next year and be a mainstay at the position for years to come! It's gonna be a great 1-2 KO punch in the future with Morgan Newton at QB and Randall Cobb at WR!
randall cobb is the only reason why hartline even completed a pass, fidler is just awful. i would rather have a true freshman like morgan newton calling the shots behind center than i would either of the other two. not trying to bash anyone just stating the facts. sorry if anybody gets upset with me but i mean seriously hartline threw more interceptions than touchdowns and fidler runs around like a chicken with its head cut off. morgan newton is the next good quarterback to come out of the university of kentucky, its a done deal.
Let the kid play...hartline was just as bad if not worse....I say play newton and forget about fidler and Hartline...Uk obviously is not bowling this year....let hartline get some expierence and be ready for next season
Pages: 1 2