Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: "Kentucky Elementary Championship" tourney @ Montgomery Co.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Who's going????
6th
corbin
hazard
bath co
shelby valley
Montgomery
Rowan
Thunder (p-ville,p-bug, central)
Madison Middle
5th
Montgomery
rowan
nicholas
richmond
berea
garad co
hopkins co
4th
montgomery
hazard
johns creek
corbin
nicholas
hopkins co.

This should be a great event to watch. The flu forced a few teams to drop out, but what we have coming should be a great show.
How many fields r u playing on?
In the 6th grade tourny, I 'm hearing Bath co. and Thunder should be the top of the class!!!!!!
good luck bearcats
games will be played on 6 fields all on the Montgomery Co. High School campus.
any results?
how'd valley do?
6th grade Commonwealth division
-Corbin (a great team) defeated Shelby Valley in the finals in a great game. Both teams played a great tourny.
6th Grade Bluegrass division
-Montgomery defeated East Ky Thunder (p-burg, p-ville, central) in the finals in a battle in 4" deep mud.
5th grade Commonwealth division
- Richmond defeated Berea in the finals.
5th grade Bluegrass division
- Nicholas co defeated Montgomery in the finals.
4th grade Kentucky tourny
- Corbin defeated Montgomery in the finals.
how did johns creek 4th grade do
WOW!!! This must've been a great day of football!!!! ( congrats to East ky thunder )
Saratoga 86 it was a great day of football. Probably the worst conditions I have ever seen, but a great day of football. I was very proud of the Thunder team. They only had 11 kids show up, but played their hearts out anyway. If they would have had a few more kids I,m sure the outcome would have been different. They made it to the final game and only lost 8-0 in the last quarter - they were just gassed (11 players & playing in all that mud and cold). The kids that played in that game did us eastern ky people proud and showed what heart we play football with in the mountains. Also the coach JC Blanton should be recognized for his effort. They only had one semi-practice but still played their guts out for him and their community. The kids that played that day are something special and true football players. I would also like to say that the Montgomery County people who put this tournament on had a fantastic idea and did a good job.
oldcat Wrote:6th grade Commonwealth division
-Corbin (a great team) defeated Shelby Valley in the finals in a great game. Both teams played a great tourny.
6th Grade Bluegrass division
-Montgomery defeated East Ky Thunder (p-burg, p-ville, central) in the finals in a battle in 4" deep mud.
5th grade Commonwealth division
- Richmond defeated Berea in the finals.
5th grade Bluegrass division
- Nicholas co defeated Montgomery in the finals.
4th grade Kentucky tourny
- Corbin defeated Montgomery in the finals.

Congrats to the SV 6th grade team on a runner-up finish. The future is certainly bright for this group.
There is some great football going on.
How bout them Johns Creek Bearcats
More Cowbell Wrote:Congrats to the SV 6th grade team on a runner-up finish. The future is certainly bright for this group.

I'm sure it will be if they are eligible.....Seems there may have been an 8th grade (yes I said 8th) hold back or 2 on the team...OR 7 OF THEM!!!!!AND SEVERAL 7TH GRADE HOLDBACK AS WELL!!!! Really....Is this how Valley rolls? I had heard the rumors about the Virgie holdbacks and so on but to find this out...I lost alot of respect for that system. Thought they had really hit on something....guess they did figure it out....13 year olds are generally better at football than 11 year olds when they play head to head. They all will physically grow up in about 4 or 5 years when they are Sophmores and Juniors. Will they look as good then when the player across from them is their size or bigger, and as fast and strong? Best of luck to you at Teco when it's the KHSAA checking things out and not a tourney director in the mud.

Guess since it's down in the mountains that nobody would know any different. Just a bunch of big mountain kids. That's how they come...ain't nobody going to question that...I mean they don't even know where Long Fork, or the Flatwoods, or Fords Branch, or Caney, or Greasy Creek, or Beefhide, or Jonancy or Shelbiana or any of those places are. They couldn't find Tackett's with a helicopter. Or any of the schools (GF, RCE, VMS). Or remember when Penny Road was not a super highway nor was 23 past the Shelby Bridge. (That's where the fun began when it was raining and snowing and a trip to Norton took and hour and a half when it was DRY!)

Hope I didn't bore you with the rambling. Felt I needed to throw out a few things as some proof that what I have stated to be true. Always remember that no matter where you may go in this big ol' world there is a chance that someone there may know more about you than you think and can find out alot more than you want them too.
WILDCAT NATION Wrote:I'm sure it will be if they are eligible.....Seems there may have been an 8th grade (yes I said 8th) hold back or 2 on the team...OR 7 OF THEM!!!!!AND SEVERAL 7TH GRADE HOLDBACK AS WELL!!!! Really....Is this how Valley rolls? I had heard the rumors about the Virgie holdbacks and so on but to find this out...I lost alot of respect for that system. Thought they had really hit on something....guess they did figure it out....13 year olds are generally better at football than 11 year olds when they play head to head. They all will physically grow up in about 4 or 5 years when they are Sophmores and Juniors. Will they look as good then when the player across from them is their size or bigger, and as fast and strong? Best of luck to you at Teco when it's the KHSAA checking things out and not a tourney director in the mud.

Guess since it's down in the mountains that nobody would know any different. Just a bunch of big mountain kids. That's how they come...ain't nobody going to question that...I mean they don't even know where Long Fork, or the Flatwoods, or Fords Branch, or Caney, or Greasy Creek, or Beefhide, or Jonancy or Shelbiana or any of those places are. They couldn't find Tackett's with a helicopter. Or any of the schools (GF, RCE, VMS). Or remember when Penny Road was not a super highway nor was 23 past the Shelby Bridge. (That's where the fun began when it was raining and snowing and a trip to Norton took and hour and a half when it was DRY!)

Hope I didn't bore you with the rambling. Felt I needed to throw out a few things as some proof that what I have stated to be true. Always remember that no matter where you may go in this big ol' world there is a chance that someone there may know more about you than you think and can find out alot more than you want them too.

All of the SV players had birth certificates and report cards with them.No 8th or 7th graders were on the team . What proof did you show of the lies you told .
WILDCAT NATION Wrote:I'm sure it will be if they are eligible.....Seems there may have been an 8th grade (yes I said 8th) hold back or 2 on the team...OR 7 OF THEM!!!!!AND SEVERAL 7TH GRADE HOLDBACK AS WELL!!!! Really....Is this how Valley rolls? I had heard the rumors about the Virgie holdbacks and so on but to find this out...I lost alot of respect for that system. Thought they had really hit on something....guess they did figure it out....13 year olds are generally better at football than 11 year olds when they play head to head. They all will physically grow up in about 4 or 5 years when they are Sophmores and Juniors. Will they look as good then when the player across from them is their size or bigger, and as fast and strong? Best of luck to you at Teco when it's the KHSAA checking things out and not a tourney director in the mud.

How misinformed can one be???? You had to have a copy of birth certificate and report card before being eligible to play in this tournament.Non of our kids are 13 that played on this team.So your ramblings hold NO water,reads like a poor attempt to down grade a young program that worked very hard all fall to get to the level they are at.Were is your proof,cause i'm very interested in any you might have,bet i have more proof then you that you are wrong about these kids ages.3 or 4 of the kids that started and played most of the games was 5th graders and i know one of them hasn't even turned 11 yet,the rest was made up of 6th grade kids, them being 11 and maybe just recently turning 12 and trust me i know all this by fact.If ya would like to discuss this any further please do so by PM.

WOW.........You're from Bath Co. aren't you???But you were there and know that we all had to have birth certificates and report cards,runners had to be weighed in,and you should have known all the rules,since you were either whining about them or breaking them throughout the game.So, this must be a case of a sore loser trying to defame a good team that handed their butts to them........but that's just my opinion.Confusedhh:

I can't believe the nerve of some people. How could you try to put down the little team just because they beat your hides? Guess what, half of them will be back next year... as 6th graders. Just like this year, All legit!

As I recall you stood in Gatti's of Pikeville and talked about how you were going to go down there and dominate that tourny.

We got beat in the championship game to Corbin, but you did not hear us crying foul play by the tourny directors or the other team. We got beat by a very good football team in a very good game. I think it was a great little tourny and hope to be back next year... we just hope for better weather.

I hope only the best for your little group... but I do feel that Adult leadership needs to step up over there and start acting like adults.
OlmannSV Wrote:I can't believe the nerve of some people. How could you try to put down the little team just because they beat your hides? Guess what, half of them will be back next year... as 6th graders. Just like this year, All legit!

As I recall you stood in Gatti's of Pikeville and talked about how you were going to go down there and dominate that tourny.

We got beat in the championship game to Corbin, but you did not hear us crying foul play by the tourny directors or the other team. We got beat by a very good football team in a very good game. I think it was a great little tourny and hope to be back next year... we just hope for better weather.

I hope only the best for your little group... but I do feel that Adult leadership needs to step up over there and start acting like adults.

Since we seem to know who each other is now and you have said your peace, I will do the same and I look forward to more meetings in the future:

1. Never said anything of the sort about dominating that ot any other tourney. Thought at the time we would have a good team and we did throughout the year. And if I remember right that meeting was in the middle of August. And never have I dogged any of the kids. They played their butts off. This is about adult leadership.

2. You did hand us our butts pretty good that day. Your execution on offense was great and ours was horrible. Pretty much the same on the defensive side. Cannot take that away from you. You have a great team and should be proud of their accomplishments.

3. Since we also know of each other than you know one of my coachs pretty well too. He just happen to be in the Valley last week and ran into a old friend (maybe even family) that has a son on your team. He would not tell me their name so it may have even been you but I doubt it.

A conversation about football and that game struck up about the Valley kids and how much harder they hit than anybody we played all year and executed their offense great. The parent that he was speaking to said "Well they should. 8 of them are supposed to be 8th graders." My coach then said that would explain alot as we had not had trouble like that all year. It was then that the parent found out that he had been on the other side of the field coaching and not their watching Valley. My coach said the conversation about the team ended pretty quick like somebody had just let the cat out of the bag.

4. I am a parent and know my kids teammates pretty well. All have been to my house and most have spent the night at one time or another over the years. Most of my parents are the same way when it comes to knowing who is on their kids team. If you were in my shoes who would you believe? Sorry but as a parent I going to have to believe the parent is telling the truth.

5. That brings me to Adult leadership. Talk about needing to step up. If some of these kids were supposed to be 7th or 8th graders and were held back, then the adults who did need to take a long look in the mirror at themselves. I don't care how good my kid is or could be in a sport I would NEVER do that to them. If they are going to be good it because they have talent and play with heart not because they are older than the rest. And no there is no difference in starting them late and holding them back because it is for the same reason: to be a bigger and better ball player when they are young. Don't hold them back, teach them how to play the game no matter what the game is. Adult Leadership is trying to raise your kids right and standing up for them when needed. And as a parent after hearing that information I felt it was needed. Sorry if you don't see it the same way but I have no reason to think that parent lied about his son's team.

Hopefully both 7th grade teams will be good enough to get thru the middle school playoffs next year and we can play again. Have a Happy Thanksgiving and I will see you on this board next season.

I won't say that you bored me with your rambling, but that is definitely two minutes of my like that I'll never get back. I wonder, though, how any of that proves that you know what you're talking about? Just because you know where Long Fork, Beefhide, and Shelbiana are located, suddenly qualifies you as an expert on SV's players' ages? Sorry, but that doesn't mean squat. And if you really think Penny Road is a "superhighway", maybe you don't know as much about the area as you would like to insinuate. Rolleyes

Seems to me that your post is just sour grapes, since you apparently coach a team that lost to SV earlier this year. It's a shame, because kids learn how to act when they win or lose from their adult role models. If the adults start whining and spreading rumors in order to discredit the team that beat them, then the kids learn that kind of mindset as well. Disappointing to find out that you are actually a coach who is supposed to set an example for young, impressionable minds.
WILDCAT NATION Wrote:3. Since we also know of each other than you know one of my coachs pretty well too. He just happen to be in the Valley last week and ran into a old friend (maybe even family) that has a son on your team. He would not tell me their name so it may have even been you but I doubt it.

A conversation about football and that game struck up about the Valley kids and how much harder they hit than anybody we played all year and executed their offense great. The parent that he was speaking to said "Well they should. 8 of them are supposed to be 8th graders." My coach then said that would explain alot as we had not had trouble like that all year. It was then that the parent found out that he had been on the other side of the field coaching and not their watching Valley. My coach said the conversation about the team ended pretty quick like somebody had just let the cat out of the bag.

So you admit that you have no actual knowledge of the situation, right? Just that you heard it from someone, who heard it from someone, who may or may not have been speaking the truth from the get-go. But that's reliable enough to get on BGR and run with it, right? Guess I didn't realize that our sports forum here had turned into Topix...

At least now I see where you got your information. I knew it had to be rock-solid proof in order for someone to get on here and try to discredit a bunch of 5th and 6th-graders.
Just went and re-read the other thread on this sub-forum, in which the tournament was first announced by someone who I assume was one of the organizers. Here were the requirements as stated in that thread's original post...

6 - Age and grade requirments as follows:
This tourney is by grade first , and age second.
4th grade - not be 10 years old prior to Jan 1 2009.
5th grade - not be 11 years old prior to Jan 1 2009.
6th grade - not be 12 years old prior to Jan 1 2009.
We will need the most current report card as well as copy of birth certificate prior to Oct 1st 2009

Basically this means that everyone who played was 12 or younger, because to be 13 at the time of the tournament would be to violate the last rule stating that the 12th birthday had to be at least on 1/1/09. And anyone who would've been an "8th grade holdback" would already be at least 13 years old, since any student who started kindergarten at age 5 and was not held back, would have turned 13 at some point during or after the 7th grade.

I will say that there could potentially be 7th-grade holdbacks playing, since according to the rules a player who turned 12 after 1/1/09 is eligible, even though that player could already be in 7th grade if he had started kindergarten at 5 and was not held back.

So, judging by these guidelines, there is no way ANY team could've had an 8th-grade holdback. Maybe a 7th-grader, but not 8th. Hope this clears all that up. :Thumbs:
This person is wrong, get your facts right before you post. This Shelby Valley team was ALL 5TH AND 6th graders!!!! This was a TEAM that plays well together and worked there buts off all year!!! Don't feel bad they beat you guys that bad, the record for the Wildcats was 17-3 with a Pike County Champship. The only loses were to Belfry all 6th grade team twice, by 2 points in 3OT @ Belfry,by 6 at home, and to Corbin All-Stars in Mt Sterlin by a touchdown. Shelby Valley came back in the County Championship and beat Belfry 22-12 in a game Shelby Valley DOMINATED! They beat several good teams during the season. Letcher County central twice, Johnson County, and Pikeville to name a few. You talked in one of your post how hard Shelby Valley hit, this team had one of the best defenses I had seen in a long time for any middle school team.
Again, if you are from Bath Co, this is just the beginning. They will be playing again during High School.