Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: NCAA ESPN/USA Today COACHES Poll
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
1. Kansas
2. Michigan State
3. Texas
4. North Carolina
5. Kentucky

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/rankings?pollId=2
This is the Coaches Poll, which regardless of whether folks think UK should be ranked higher or not, the coaches have recognized that UK is back. That is fear in and of itself.
Thats awesome. Kentucky will go FAR this season.
Well let's hope. Dickie V has us at #2. I wish we wasn't ranked that way we could just come in and blow it up.
I'm comfortable with a Top 25 or Top 10 ranking. However, I think anything above Top 5 is being a little too confident. Does UK have the talent to be #1? Yes. Does that mean they should be #1? No. This team has a lot to prove and it will hopefully be proven as the season goes on.

At this point in the rankings, it's all about respect and I think the polls clearly show that UK has re-gained that word, respect.
I am just glad we aren't ranked higher. We don't need that right now.
After not even making the tournament last season i'll take any ranking. This team does have a lot to prove and this puts a lot of expectations on a very young team.
Crazy. wish we wasnt ranked then went undefeated,
I would change some of the rankings like Tennessee and Louisville...Tennessee should not be ranked...WOW...and Louisville is a top 15 team atleast...but Rankings this early means nothing...So much will change in 4 or 5 weeks...
ComfortEagle Wrote:I'm comfortable with a Top 25 or Top 10 ranking. However, I think anything above Top 5 is being a little too confident. Does UK have the talent to be #1? Yes. Does that mean they should be #1? No. This team has a lot to prove and it will hopefully be proven as the season goes on.

At this point in the rankings, it's all about respect and I think the polls clearly show that UK has re-gained that word, respect.

All Good Points :Thumbs:
theVILLE Wrote:I would change some of the rankings like Tennessee and Louisville...Tennessee should not be ranked...WOW...and Louisville is a top 15 team atleast...but Rankings this early means nothing...So much will change in 4 or 5 weeks...

What I saw of UL the other night they are not a Toop 25 team. Tare good at Center and PG, but are very, very weak on the wings.
I'm surpised by the number of rationale posts here. There was another thread where most of the posting was putting UK at 1 but no lower than 3.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:What I saw of UL the other night they are not a Toop 25 team. Tare good at Center and PG, but are very, very weak on the wings.

SG and SF there strong ut at PF is there weak spot and still not to bad there...
theVILLE Wrote:SG and SF there strong ut at PF is there weak spot and still not to bad there...

I repeat...at the wings they are very weak. TWill will be sorely missed.

I'll tell you who did impress me though:

Siva- I expected him to be good, but he is definitely ahead of schedule. It wouldn't surprise me to see him beat out Sosa.

Samuels- I think we all knew he would be good though.

Kuric- Without a doubt the most improved Card.

But once again... UL is substantially worse at SG, SF, PF and in overall depth comapred to last year.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I repeat...at the wings they are very weak. TWill will be sorely missed.

I'll tell you who did impress me though:

Siva- I expected him to be good, but he is definitely ahead of schedule. It wouldn't surprise me to see him beat out Sosa.

Samuels- I think we all knew he would be good though.

Kuric- Without a doubt the most improved Card.

But once again... UL is substantially worse at SG, SF, PF and in overall depth comapred to last year.

Worse at the SF and PF spot...care to explain the SG spot...who did theyh loose...sure i am not arguing there is a player on this team with the leadership of TWILL but the talent is there in MArra and Buckles to "BE" a TWILL...Siva will Knock Sosa out at one point....probably around the UK game and Sosa gets one last chance and we all know what happens when he GETS ONE LAST CHANCE!!!!!!!!!!:rockon:
I think this ranking is sufficient. Even if Wall and Cousins don't pan out there are still players like Hood, Orton, Bledsoe and the transfer to step up. I don't think they will falter but I am just saying that the coaches recognize how much talent UK has.
lwc Wrote:I think this ranking is sufficient. Even if Wall and Cousins don't pan out there are still players like Hood, Orton, Bledsoe and the transfer to step up. I don't think they will falter but I am just saying that the coaches recognize how much talent UK has.

Cousins just looks lazy. Maybe its because its a scrimmage but hes clearly not hustling. But Bledsoe. Hes Got some Skills.
Cannot complain about that ranking at all.
theVILLE Wrote:Worse at the SF and PF spot...care to explain the SG spot...who did theyh loose...sure i am not arguing there is a player on this team with the leadership of TWILL but the talent is there in MArra and Buckles to "BE" a TWILL...Siva will Knock Sosa out at one point....probably around the UK game and Sosa gets one last chance and we all know what happens when he GETS ONE LAST CHANCE!!!!!!!!!!:rockon:

Last year UL had 3 legitimate scorers..guys you knew every night were good for 14+ points that could create their own shots, that was TWILL, Clark, and Samuels. These guys had the physical tools to take a game over, and as diretc result of their offensive ability it opened other players up.

I like Preston Knowles... he is tough and a good outside shooter. But, Knowles does not have the ability to create his own shot and take a game over... he needs someone to draw the pressure and kick to him. Marra didn't impress me, he looked to be overhwlemed at times and forced his shots, he can score points...but he will also cost you points by either taking an ill advised shot or turning the ball over. Jerry Smith is the most complete SG they have, but once again Smith's scoring is predicated on another Wing being able to draw the pressure off him.

For as good as Siva looked.. his role is not to be a big-time scorer yet. Samuels is the only true scorer UL has, and even then, their struggles at PF means teams will be able to constantly help and double him.

UL's best friend will be teams who play zone defense (Syracuse) where they can get good looks at three. Against solid man to man defenenses the Cards are going to really struggle unless someone steps up and becomes a viable scoring threat besides Siva and Samuels.
Villanova not being in the top 5 is an absolute joke as they return practically everybody including their best player in Scotty Reynolds.
theVILLE Wrote:I would change some of the rankings like Tennessee and Louisville...Tennessee should not be ranked...WOW...and Louisville is a top 15 team atleast...but Rankings this early means nothing...So much will change in 4 or 5 weeks...

You're right.. All these polls are pretty much based on potential. A lot will change. But based on potential, Tennessee is a Top 15 team. They brought back too much talent and leadership not to be. Means absolutely nothing though. I would argue some of the rankings too, but it all works itself out.
UT will be a top 10 team but UL will not be a top 20 team anytime during the year IMO. Uk should be around 8-12 range, but as of right now, the rankings are pretty decent.
Its just a preseason poll, but I like it