Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: SEC officials blown calls - AGAIN!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
1. Florida fumble - Florida escaped with the victory saturday even though the INT TD return should have been overturned. It was clear that Doe lost the football prior to it crossing the goal line, thus the TD should not have stood.

This is the "Leon Lett" play that cost the Cowboys a few Thanksgivings ago and could have cost the Gators the game if called properly Saturday.

2. Alabama personal foul no call - Terrence Cody, upon blocking the UT FG, had already removed his helmet and threw it halfway down the field almost three seconds before the official blew his whistle blowing the play dead.

This exact same thing happened last year to the Cleveland Browns after a blocked field goal, the player removed his helmet and was yelling into the crowd. He received a 15 yard personal foul, setting up what wound up being the game winning field goal and a loss for the Browns.
I wondered about the AL one. I think that one is not called in part because of all the talk of blown call in the SEC they are gun shy. It should of been called with no question.
I agree, that should have been 15 yards and a first down, which UT would have tried for another rekick.
From a personal standpoint, if those refs would have called a personal foul on Cody after blocking the kick, resulting in Tennessee rekicking and beating the Tide, then I seriously doubt they would have gotten out of Tuscaloosa alive, lol..I would dare say thats why they didnt call it..
Bad year so far for SEC officials.. The obvious ones being the Florida-Arkansas game and the LSU-Georgia unsportsmanlike penalty on Georgia. The call on Cody for Alabama could've been called, but thats a hard call to make in that situation. I would also add the Florida-Miss. St. game. The Florida guy was stripped outside the goal line after that interception and even after a review, they still gave him a touchdown. I couldn't believe they didn't get that one. Could see more officiating crews missing some games if things don't get better. The SEC is too good of a conference to have games in question due to officials.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:From a personal standpoint, if those refs would have called a personal foul on Cody after blocking the kick, resulting in Tennessee rekicking and beating the Tide, then I seriously doubt they would have gotten out of Tuscaloosa alive, lol..I would dare say thats why they didnt call it..

But here is the thing. That is what they get payed to do. Now I don't know if he would have made the fg or not but he should have gotten the opportunity to. If you are afraid to make a call no matter what the situation then it is time to find a new profession. I have also seen more no calls this year in big games that has cost one team or the other.