Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Greenup County 7th Grade Football Regional Champs!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
After combining the two middle school's football teams, Greenup has had a great year. The 7th grade Musketeers beat Ashland last night to win their region and will be playing in the semi-finals next weekend in Lexington.

They will play the winner of last night's Corbin/Southern Pulaski Game. On the other side of the Bracket will be Meade County and the winner of the Lone Oak/Bowling Green game.

The 7th grade Musketeers are coached by Bruce Hunt.

These boys are the future of Greenup County Football and we are very proud of them!

Congratulations Musketeers on your Regional title. Now go and win and State!
congrats
My son played jr high football at wurtland, he is 30 now and back then i always said that by both schools being split was why the high school didnt have teams like they should. they competed against each other all the way up to high school then expexted to be thrown together with starting players from booth schools and who wous gons start and who wasnt. even at jr high level friendly grudges against each other hurts. I was excited to see the schools combine this year and told my son that greenup will start having better seasons. I went to russell and remember what a power house we thought greenup would be when it opened. But i think the mckell/wurtland rivalry always hurt. Congrats to the 7th gaders and lets hope them sucsess as future high players. Smile
Way to go 7th grade Greenup County Football,
:Thumbs::Thumbs:
Way to get it done boy's good luck against Corbin.:Clap:
Was a great defensive game in the mud last night. Verity 7th has a really good football team. GC 7th isn't the biggest team around but were fairly athletic and the whole team is quick, especially defensively.

This win puts us at 10-3, our losses being at Raceland, at JC and at Verity.

It's just great to even make it this far with such a young team (only 4 are currently 13, the rest are 12 year olds). Just being in the playoffs is awesome.

Going to the semi's in Lexington is just stunning. Everyones excited and the boys will represent GCMS football well. :Thumbs:
Congrats I hope they stick together into high school I would like to See future Greenup-Russell games get more competitive.
Musketeer Wrote:After combining the two middle school's football teams, Greenup has had a great year. The 7th grade Musketeers beat Ashland last night to win their region and will be playing in the semi-finals next weekend in Lexington.

They will play the winner of last night's Corbin/Southern Pulaski Game. On the other side of the Bracket will be Meade County and the winner of the Lone Oak/Bowling Green game.

The 7th grade Musketeers are coached by Bruce Hunt.

These boys are the future of Greenup County Football and we are very proud of them!

Congratulations Musketeers on your Regional title. Now go and win and State!
Are they 6th & 7th???
redhound93 Wrote:Are they 6th & 7th???

The combined team is the 7th graders from McKell and Wurtland Middle Schools. The 7th has no 6th graders playing up. We also had a combined 8th grade team. We dressed alot of our 7th grade team up on our 8th grade team this year (both have same coaches) and about 4 or 5 got significant minutes on the 8th.

In the past, both schools had their own 7th and 8th grade teams. Both feed into Greenup County HS at 9th grade.

Our 6th graders are in our JFL program and combine to play other local schools 6th grade teams.
They have beat two undefeated teams. The game last night was a great game. The goal line stand by Greenup was the best I've seen all year the D was great last night. I just thought there would be more fans supporting them in the stands.:1:
Also give credit to Coach Bruce Hunt and his assistant coach's, for the job he has done with this team, good luck at Lexington.:Clap:
old warrior Wrote:Also give credit to Coach Bruce Hunt and his assistant coach's, for the job he has done with this team, good luck at Lexington.:Clap:

:Cheerlead An awesome job!
Congrats GC
redhound93 Wrote:Are they 6th & 7th???

7th grade, however if you start school at the correct age and not doing the holdback thing you should turn 13 during your 7th grade year, they just haven't had to many have birthdays yet. I do have a question thuogh how much rain did greenups football field get before saturday it seemed that the areas around there didn't get the same amount, parking lot , baseball field, practice field, ect.
GO GREENUP :rockon::Thumbs:
Good luck Greenup in the state.
Greenup will face Corbin on Saturday morning in Lexinton. Best of Luck to these young men and their coaching staff. We support you 100% and are very proud of what you have already accomplished!
Greenup will not beat Corbin. Corbin is to fast. Greenup hasn't faced a team as good as Corbin is. In all my years of being around football Corbin is the fastest team I've seen. They tackle well and have a high football IQ as a team. Prediction Corbin 45 Greenup 6.
Jackson Cofan Wrote:Greenup will not beat Corbin. Corbin is to fast. Greenup hasn't faced a team as good as Corbin is. In all my years of being around football Corbin is the fastest team I've seen. They tackle well and have a high football IQ as a team. Prediction Corbin 45 Greenup 6.
Really how do you know Greenup won't beat Corbin. I would bet you have never even seen Greenup play seeing as how it looks like you're from Jackson County.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:Really how do you know Greenup won't beat Corbin. I would bet you have never even seen Greenup play seeing as how it looks like you're from Jackson County.

Thanks for getting GC's back. Your exactly right.
Jackson Cofan Wrote:Greenup will not beat Corbin. Corbin is to fast. Greenup hasn't faced a team as good as Corbin is. In all my years of being around football Corbin is the fastest team I've seen. They tackle well and have a high football IQ as a team. Prediction Corbin 45 Greenup 6.

That could very well happen or we could play a good game, hang in there and surprise some people. Being our first year with a combined middle school program, the planning and work getting that all together and actually winning a bunch of games was a huge accomplishment. Coach Hunt and his staff have done a good job.

I do know the GC boys will come to play, have fun and enjoy the experience. Getting to this point has been a huge boost to GC's MS program, something the jfl players coming up behind this group can continue to build upon.
Win or Lose they have went above and beyond our expectations. For the first year playing together. As far as Corbins speed I dont know but i do know this you dont make it to the final four by luck. Greenup will be ready to play. We don't have no superstars just a good solid team. If the D plays like they did vs Verity we will have a chance. I'm sure Corbin is a good team but Greenup will take the field PROUD with there heads helds high and ready for some pigskin.

Go GREENUP
Greenup is not very big but they are fast also, and play good defense, should be a good game.:biggrin:
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:Really how do you know Greenup won't beat Corbin. I would bet you have never even seen Greenup play seeing as how it looks like you're from Jackson County.

Just a fan trying to justify his team getting beat out, although Jackson Co. had a very good team and could have made a good run if they had beaten Corbin. I expect Greenup Co. to give Corbin all they want, should be a very good game.
told ya Greenup wouldn't beat Corbin. But I will put then in my top five.....
1. Clay Co (beat Corbin 20-12 this year)
2. Corbin
3. Lone Oak
4. Greenup Co.
5. Jackson Co.
Jackson Cofan Wrote:told ya Greenup wouldn't beat Corbin. But I will put then in my top five.....
1. Clay Co (beat Corbin 20-12 this year)
2. Corbin
3. Lone Oak
4. Greenup Co.
5. Jackson Co.

Now the big question is had Greenup won would you have came back to this post to give Greenup props. Its easy to say told ya when things go the way you want them. Most of the time you can't give a true reason as to why a team will win if you haven't seen both teams play or if they don't have any common opponent.

In reality you just got lucky that Corbin won and that you didn't have to eat crow.
There may be another team in that top 5 for that grade and SteelerMatt knows who that would be!!!
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:Now the big question is had Greenup won would you have came back to this post to give Greenup props. Its easy to say told ya when things go the way you want them. Most of the time you can't give a true reason as to why a team will win if you haven't seen both teams play or if they don't have any common opponent.

In reality you just got lucky that Corbin won and that you didn't have to eat crow.

Well Corbin was just to big and to fast for everyone else is the reason why I thought they would win the game. There was no luck to it and I'm not a Corbin fan either. In my opinion Greenup played Corbin tougher than Lone Oak did. When a team dominates it opponents as bad as Corbin has that says one thing..Alot of held backs. As one event staff member said "Corbin is just to physicially big for everyone else, something is not right" For a 2A school I can see maybe having 2-3 big players but 8-10 like they had for their size of school no, no way are they all true 7th graders. If Greenup played Meade in the semi finals Greenup would of won. If Greenup played Lone Oak it would be a toss up
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:There may be another team in that top 5 for that grade and SteelerMatt knows who that would be!!!

Who are they? My top 5 was based on teams I've seen play
Its hard to rank the 7th grades because so many schools have kids playing up to 8th at least part time or in some cases 8th only.

In Greenup Co.'s case, we had 6 or so players that played major minutes in the 8th grade games then would play a complete 7th grade game afterwards. When the 8ths season ended you could tell a difference in them not having to play that 1st game every night and we played better ball toward the end of the season.

There is no doubt from what i've seen Corbin is best 7th in the state. They flat out earned it with hard nosed smash mouth football and they played a brutal tournament schedule and defeated them all. Big Congrats to them!!

A bit below them i would have Lone Oak based on there number of highly skilled players. They are very explosive but Corbins line size and defensive pressure were just too much for them.

After that there are perhaps a dozen teams were pretty high level teams throughout the season, some peaked early and others got better towards the end of the season. Johnson County's 7th had a fine team. Ashland Verity also. I would also throw from the teams i'd seen from Greenup County, Raceland, Lewis County and some others i've just heard about into this mix. These teams were all pretty interchangable and depending on when and where they played were and would all have been competative.
Pages: 1 2