Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Shelby Valley 5th/6th Pike Co. Champs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Shelby Valley 22 Belfry 12
Shelby Valley, Pike County 5th/6th grade CHAMPS!!! Has a great sound to it.... Shelby Valley dominated most of the game. Belfry scored on a play after the ref should have called a dead ball, because SV player jumped off sides and touched a Belfry OL. Belfry ran a 80 yard TD without Valley trying to stop them until they were across line of scrimmage. The only other TD for Belfry was a long pass on 4th down and long.... Outside that Valley's Defense dominated...
Valley scored on 3 long drives that ate the clock. The OL did great and Luke,Justin,Elswick,Jordan ran the ball hard. Way to go Valley!! Great D was played by Lucas,Layne,Justin,Luke,Trevor,Jordan,Elswick,Webb,Perkins,Robbinson,PB,Stalker. Congrats on the County Championship and a big THANK YOU for all the coaches that helped the team.... Get ready for the tourn in Mt. Sterlin next week.
congrats on your win,well be back nxt yr and if you watched the 5th grade game we got some gammers coming up. congrats to the PIRATE 5th graders for dismantling shelby valleys 5th
We know you guys looked good, but don't jump to fast... a lot of the kids in the 6th grade game are 5th graders.... they will be back. Should make for some good football next year!

We did not play the 5th graders that start for the 6th grade team in the earlier game... because we were saving their legs for the last.
Heard there were no official ref's for this game. Is that correct? If so, WHY in the world would you host a tournament and NOT have officials there?

Oh, Congrats SV
Congrats Big Cats!!!!!!!!!!This is the team that we knew we had all year long. We dominated this game and except for the ref's mistake(and by the way, the one in the yellow shoes is a high school(official)ref) and a momentary breakdown in secondary coverage, this game would have been a shut-out.But we'll take 22-12 any day. Belfry is a good team, as usual, and will be tough for years to come.....but the future is really looking bright in the "Big Valley".
JIMLEE58 Wrote:Congrats Big Cats!!!!!!!!!!This is the team that we knew we had all year long. We dominated this game and except for the ref's mistake(and by the way, the one in the yellow shoes is a high school(official)ref) and a momentary breakdown in secondary coverage, this game would have been a shut-out.But we'll take 22-12 any day. Belfry is a good team, as usual, and will be tough for years to come.....but the future is really looking bright in the "Big Valley".

The white hat was mr looney who does high school games...he has done some of valleys high school games this year. great game to watch by both teams. #21 and #70 for belfry are really good players. valley looked impressive with the power running game. #44 and #49 are beasts n the backfield. The o-line for valley was dominate upfront which surprised me but good job guys...#88 at ng fo r valley was small but tough.. I think valleyhad several 5th graders playing in the 6th grade game...future looks bright in the valley....

Also I was told that they played this game without their fastest back due to injury. If so, that makes it more impressive congrats valley and keep your head up belfry because I think from the high school to youth league that these are the best two programs in pike county and I am sure belfry is glad someone can finally compete with them so they aren't bored playing in county
By no means am I taking anything away from Valley's win by saying this BUT..... If there had been no "official" (I mean in proper attire/registration cards accessible) referee's I would have refused to play this game. This is a county championship and both teams should have refused. We have played at Valley 3 different times this year and in 1 game we had 1 referee (dressed that is)..... Why is it that there never seems to be any available to go to Valley to call a game? I really hate this for the kids as they have ALL (both teams) worked very hard all season. It just seems very unfair to the children that they are treated as if they aren't worthy of real officials for their game.

AND... a high school student calling the game??? NEVER heard of that one before!!!
If alot of the kids playing in the 6th grade game were 5th graders please send your growth formula over to belfry.Those were the biggest kids ive seen this season.and again congrats to you guys
phs1986 Wrote:By no means am I taking anything away from Valley's win by saying this BUT..... If there had been no "official" (I mean in proper attire/registration cards accessible) referee's I would have refused to play this game. This is a county championship and both teams should have refused. We have played at Valley 3 different times this year and in 1 game we had 1 referee (dressed that is)..... Why is it that there never seems to be any available to go to Valley to call a game? I really hate this for the kids as they have ALL (both teams) worked very hard all season. It just seems very unfair to the children that they are treated as if they aren't worthy of real officials for their game.

AND... a high school student calling the game??? NEVER heard of that one before!!!

There were no high school students calling any of the games....there were two assistants from the high school team,but no students.....and one of those assistants played for ........guess who???? Belfry.
Guys, come on, don't try to take it away from the kids by complaining about officials. I could have complained every game this year about the calls, but why should we. Anyone who knows anything about football and 5th/6th graders... you could call something on every play. But last nights game was called fair. If you go look most of the calls were in favor of the pirates. I talked to the line judge who made a mistake by not blowing the whistle on the dead ball fowl which lead to 6 points for Belfry. He hated that he made the mistake, but it was just that, a mistake. Those guys were filling in due to the original refs not showing because they were sick. Mr. Looney came with very short notice and done a great job, even though I still don't agree with him making valley taking a timeout just to get an explanation of the the mistake call. But he kept both side in line in a highly emotional game. Great Job Refs!!

I did not see any other UNBIASED people volunteering to call the game.

Both teams had some outstanding young men, and the future looks pretty good for both schools. You never can tell, but wouldn't it be great to see two State High School Champions come back to Pike Co. in the same year! It is a long time off for these little guys, but no one knows what the future holds. And it is looking better and better each year!

Way to go Valley!! Now go down to Mt. Sterling and show them what the Pike Co football is about!
Congrats to SV !!!
You must be talking about your head coach's brother-in-law or are you talking about his son the other line judge. Either way the county championship deserve licensed officials and we would not be having this conversion.
OlmannSV Wrote:Guys, come on, don't try to take it away from the kids by complaining about officials. I could have complained every game this year about the calls, but why should we. Anyone who knows anything about football and 5th/6th graders... you could call something on every play. But last nights game was called fair. If you go look most of the calls were in favor of the pirates. I talked to the line judge who made a mistake by not blowing the whistle on the dead ball fowl which lead to 6 points for Belfry. He hated that he made the mistake, but it was just that, a mistake. Those guys were filling in due to the original refs not showing because they were sick. Mr. Looney came with very short notice and done a great job, even though I still don't agree with him making valley taking a timeout just to get an explanation of the the mistake call. But he kept both side in line in a highly emotional game. Great Job Refs!!

Both teams had some outstanding young men, and the future looks pretty good for both schools. You never can tell, but wouldn't it be great to see two State High School Champions come back to Pike Co. in the same year! It is a long time off for these little guys, but no one knows what the future holds. And it is looking better and better each year!

Way to go Valley!! Now go down to Mt. Sterling and show them what the Pike Co football is about!

**See highlighted part::::

Again, I'm not taking anything away from those SV players on their win....

BUT!!!! WHY does it always seem that either the ref's are sick, they just didn't show up, they weren't called due to the game being short notice, etc? This has happened in HIGH SCHOOL JV games 3 times this year, not counting the freshmen and Jr. high games. IMHO, they the officials at the SCHOOL level need to step in and assure that game officials are on hand so that there is no question as to who is calling a game. I agree also with the above poster... for a county championship game..... OFFICIAL ref's IN UNIFORM needed to be there!!!! Sorry if this offends but it's just my opinion....
phs1986 Wrote:**See highlighted part::::

Again, I'm not taking anything away from those SV players on their win....

BUT!!!! WHY does it always seem that either the ref's are sick, they just didn't show up, they weren't called due to the game being short notice, etc? This has happened in HIGH SCHOOL JV games 3 times this year, not counting the freshmen and Jr. high games. IMHO, they the officials at the SCHOOL level need to step in and assure that game officials are on hand so that there is no question as to who is calling a game. I agree also with the above poster... for a county championship game..... OFFICIAL ref's IN UNIFORM needed to be there!!!! Sorry if this offends but it's just my opinion....

It was not your guys night... just like the first game we had over there was not our night, though in OUR OPINION, we won. But it was not to be on the score board at the end of the night.

The officials had no baring in this game... other than giving Belfry 6 points. Our boys kept possession of the ball and ran it right at your guys. Our defense kept your backs in their own backfield. Please stop trying to take away from what OUR BOYS accomplished! We had more penalties in this game... Mr. Looney is a high school ref. and the other two loves football and children and would not do anything to hurt one, so please tell me where the officials cheated you. They didn't. So stop insinuating anything else!

I am sure both teams will battle again next year and I for one can't wait!
Okay, it's evident that I've stepped on some toes here. Basically, I've NOT said Valley didn't deserve this win.... NOT ONE TIME!!!! I congratulated them earlier in the thread....

Secondly, for those of you who seem to NOT understand what I'm trying to get across is this:::::

Those young men (5th or 6th graders it doesn't matter) had earned their time on the field that day.... BOTH TEAMS..... They deserved what every other team deserves and that's REAL officials for a county championship title. They worked hard all season to get the chance to play for this and from what I've read, there were SEVERAL mistakes made. Granted, officials could have made the same mistakes BUT, I doubt it.... Giving BOTH teams fairness and a little respect was the least that should have been done! I'm sorry but I feel these little fella's are just as important as any other team playing for a championship!! HOPEFULLY you will all understand now that I'm NOT knocking Valley's win..... Just stating that they need officials over in that part of the county for their games!!!!
Again, congrates Wildcats on the win.... I think Belfry should be happy with how the refs called the game, they spotted Belfry 6 points. I watched the video of the game and I think Belfry got a good called game... Less penalty yards then Valley. No matter who would have ref the game, Valley was ready and dominated the game. I guess Belfry would like to have the refs used at Belfry last year when we had over 200 yards of penalties called againts Valley.
Shelby Valley keep up the hard work, this is a special group of young men who play well together and put forth a lot of effort.. I look for a bright future for these kids. Valley is working hard to close the gap between Belfry and Valley.

Belfry is the standard for football in Pke County and in the mountains/State. They have proven it for a long time. I give them the respect they deserve. Congrates on a great season.
Again congrats Valley Boys,keep your mind focused,and your hearts in the game.Now lets get ready for Mt. Sterling!
FINAL POST IN THIS THREAD:::::

CONGRATULATIONS ONCE AGAIN VALLEY!!

BUT, I still think these "little fellas" deserve the same treatment as any other group or team that hits the court or field!! Sorry if that offends but they ARE the same kids who will be playing varsity ball in the next 4 or 5 years!!! BE it a game played at Valley, Phelps, Belfry, Johnson Central, Paintsville, East Ridge, Pike Central or whereever!!!!!!
phs1986 Wrote:FINAL POST IN THIS THREAD:::::

CONGRATULATIONS ONCE AGAIN VALLEY!!

BUT, I still think these "little fellas" deserve the same treatment as any other group or team that hits the court or field!! Sorry if that offends but they ARE the same kids who will be playing varsity ball in the next 4 or 5 years!!! BE it a game played at Valley, Phelps, Belfry, Johnson Central, Paintsville, East Ridge, Pike Central or whereever!!!!!!

They were treated like everyone else. Mr. Looney is a CERT OFFICIAL who wore his uniform, so until someone can show where it was not done right... this is a moot point in the wrong thread.
OlmannSV Wrote:Guys, come on, don't try to take it away from the kids by complaining about officials. I could have complained every game this year about the calls, but why should we. Anyone who knows anything about football and 5th/6th graders... you could call something on every play. But last nights game was called fair. If you go look most of the calls were in favor of the pirates. I talked to the line judge who made a mistake by not blowing the whistle on the dead ball fowl which lead to 6 points for Belfry. He hated that he made the mistake, but it was just that, a mistake. Those guys were filling in due to the original refs not showing because they were sick. Mr. Looney came with very short notice and done a great job, even though I still don't agree with him making valley taking a timeout just to get an explanation of the the mistake call. But he kept both side in line in a highly emotional game. Great Job Refs!!

Good post. :Thumbs:

Sounds like the tournament organizers did the best they could under the circumstances. There are a lot of people sick around the area right now, and it does not surprise me that the scheduled game officials were sick and had to no-show. That is unforeseen and unavoidable, and it sounds like the organizers did well to get at least one certified official to come on short notice. As for the other two officials not being actual officials, again, I think they did the best they could. Their options were either play the game with just one official (obviously not feasible), play with the one certified ref and the other men who were willing to help out, or cancel the entire tournament. I think they made the right call.

Congrats to both teams.
Please dont defend the ref he is the worst i have ever seen in 40 years of being around football. He hates belfry and wil do anything he can to make sure belfry loses. Four yaers ago when belfry played johnscreek at phelps for the 5th 6th grade championship he made a laughing stock of himself. The coach for johnscreek who is a respected white hat rref for ky highschool said he ahd never seen nothing like it. As far as th game i think sv would have won with or without him they were on a mission. If he stays around he will be a black eye on your program. My name is tim may and i am the 5th grade coach at belfry
How many kids for Shelby Valley were held back from last season. I coached the 6th grade team for Belfry up until this season and it seemed alot of kids looked familiar. I know some of them were listed on the roster from last year as 6th graders.
Chainman09 Wrote:How many kids for Shelby Valley were held back from last season. I coached the 6th grade team for Belfry up until this season and it seemed alot of kids looked familiar. I know some of them were listed on the roster from last year as 6th graders.

Interesting post...I would be curious to know the answer to that.
Congrats to Valley on there win.
Chainman09 Wrote:How many kids for Shelby Valley were held back from last season. I coached the 6th grade team for Belfry up until this season and it seemed alot of kids looked familiar. I know some of them were listed on the roster from last year as 6th graders.

Sorry, but again more sour grapes.

We do not have as many youth in our system as Belfry, so we have some younger kids that played last year that were on this team (like most this is a 5th/6th grade team). None of them were 6th graders last year. And the 5th graders from this years team will be on next years 5th/6th grade team as 6th graders.

If ur talking about #44 he is 11 years old. That is only one listed as a 6th grader last year and it was a mistake.He was # 60 last year.
congrats on the win.
Listen folks, no reason to complain about the refs.we are none perfect,I coached in the 5th grade game,these young men did a good job,remember these are young kids out there.Yes the have to learn but a lot could have been called both ways let them play ,and these young men did just that good job .In the 6th grade game u have to hold these kids to a little higher standard but remember they are kids to,the only thing i can say is it would have been a better called game if the only certified offical had not shown up.Shelby Valley took it to our kids on both side of the ball,their ol took it to our def. line and blew them off the line all game.i dont care what mistakes were made in the officating it would have not mattered,that night belonged to sv,it was clear from the start and i for one congratulate the 6th grade players of sv.But come on folks this one official was really pittyful,and in my opinion should not be allowed on a field with young kids,sorry if it offends but it was so obvious,Shelby valley has a good solid program and a classey program and ya'll do not need that kind of problem.Looking forward to seeing ya'll again next year
SPORTS FAN 101 Wrote:Shelby Valley 22 Belfry 12
Shelby Valley, Pike County 5th/6th grade CHAMPS!!! Has a great sound to it.... Shelby Valley dominated most of the game. Belfry scored on a play after the ref should have called a dead ball, because SV player jumped off sides and touched a Belfry OL. Belfry ran a 80 yard TD without Valley trying to stop them until they were across line of scrimmage. The only other TD for Belfry was a long pass on 4th down and long.... Outside that Valley's Defense dominated...
Valley scored on 3 long drives that ate the clock. The OL did great and Luke,Justin,Elswick,Jordan ran the ball hard. Way to go Valley!! Great D was played by Lucas,Layne,Justin,Luke,Trevor,Jordan,Elswick,Webb,Perkins,Robbinson,PB,Stalker. Congrats on the County Championship and a big THANK YOU for all the coaches that helped the team.... Get ready for the tourn in Mt. Sterlin next week.
WE SHOULD HAVE WON!!!!! you can give all your thanks too the refs. for the win,,--From ZACH LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO BIG RED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How do you think SV 6TH grade will be next year.
Belfry's is going to be even better next year then
this year.
Pages: 1 2