Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Prominent Coaches Records after 20 Games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Urban Myer - Florida

16-4 with Outback Bowl win

Mack Brown - Texas

15-5 with Cotton Bowl win

Bob Stoops - Oklahoma

15-5 with loss in Independence Bowl

Nick Saben - Alabama

14-6 with win Independence Bowl

Jim Tressel - Ohio State

15-5 with Outback Bowl loss

Pete Carroll - USC

12-8 with Las Vegas Bowl loss

Brian Kelly - Cincinnati

16-4 with International Bowl win and Papa John Bowl win

Les Miles - LSU

16-4 with Chick-Fil-A Bowl win

Charlie Weiss - Notre Dame

16-4 with Fiesta Bowl loss

Frank Beamer - Virginia Tech

9-11 with no bowl appearence

Mark Richt - Georgia

16-4 with Music City Bowl loss

BILL STEWART - WEST VIRGINIA

15-5 WITH FIESTA BOWL WIN AND CAR CARE BOWL WIN!!!!
This has to be the most meaningless stat ever. I am more concerned with coach's 2nd 20 games over the first 20. To deny that some of these coaches excelled due to what they inherited, and some had to build from scratch based on what they inherited, it is completely meaningless.

As a prime example lets use your example of WVU's head coach. He won a Fiest Bowl with one of the most talented WVU teams of all-time after RichRod departed prior to it. He also had the luxury of inheriting Pat White and highly touted Noel Devine thanks to Rodriguez's recruiting ability. On the flip side, look at Beamer and Carroll. Beamer built VaTech from scratch and Carroll had to completely overhaul USC.
Additionally, you can't pick and choose your Bowl Results to discuss by cutting a season off early. You have Les Miles listed with a "Chick Fil-A Bowl Win", but you ignore his National Championship that came at the end of his 2nd season? Come on man... you're better than that.
You started a thread about prominant coaches and included WVU's? Doesn't really make sense.
Yeah thats great that he's 15-5 with WVU, but his total collective college record is 23-30 (he was 8-25 at VMI).
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Additionally, you can't pick and choose your Bowl Results to discuss by cutting a season off early. You have Les Miles listed with a "Chick Fil-A Bowl Win", but you ignore his National Championship that came at the end of his 2nd season? Come on man... you're better than that.

What did Brooks do his first 20 games??? Or before that Morriss??? Or before that Mumme??? Or before that Bill Currey??? :flame:
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:What did Brooks do his first 20 games??? Or before that Morriss??? Or before that Mumme??? Or before that Bill Currey??? :flame:

I am not dillusional enough to put UK in the same class the powers you listed.
I posted this on our main football board. My co-worker at the office (WVU grad '77) asked me to post it. He did all the research on this. We both have went around and around about Stewart. My co-worker tried to point out and rightly so, that Bill Stewart is in good company with other coaches of top rank teams at this same 20 game mark at the helm of their respective teams. Another co-worker of mine (WVU grad '99) pointed out that Stewart should be compared to Larry Coker. Coker won a NC at Miami, then went down hill from there. Bill Stewart inheirated Pat White and Noel Devine. Rich Fraud inheirated Rasheed Marshall and Quincy Wilson. Don Nehlen inheirated Oliver Luck and Darryl Talley.
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:I posted this on our main football board. My co-worker at the office (WVU grad '77) asked me to post it. He did all the research on this. We both have went around and around about Stewart. My co-worker tried to point out and rightly so, that Bill Stewart is in good company with other coaches of top rank teams at this same 20 game mark at the helm of their respective teams. Another co-worker of mine (WVU grad '99) pointed out that Stewart should be compared to Larry Coker. Coker won a NC at Miami, then went down hill from there. Bill Stewart inheirated Pat White and Noel Devine. Rich Fraud inheirated Rasheed Marshall and Quincy Wilson. Don Nehlen inheirated Oliver Luck and Darryl Talley.
Never heard of any of these people.
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:What did Brooks do his first 20 games??? Or before that Morriss??? Or before that Mumme??? Or before that Bill Currey??? :flame:
No one here acts like UK is a powerhouse...lol Besides none of WVU's coaches or teams would have done any better in the SEC.
Amun-Ra Wrote:Never heard of any of these people.

Quincy Wilson - RB Cincinnati Bengals. His dad is Otis Wilson who played for the 85 Super Bowl Champion Chicago Bears.

Marshall was a Pat White type QB for WVU

Darryl Talley was a LB for the Buffalo Bills.

Oliver Luck was QB for WVU. He did play for the Houston Oilers and is currently on the WVU Board of Governors. His son Andrew is the starting QB for Stanford.
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:Quincy Wilson - RB Cincinnati Bengals. His dad is Otis Wilson who played for the 85 Super Bowl Champion Chicago Bears.

Marshall was a Pat White type QB for WVU

Darryl Talley was a LB for the Buffalo Bills.

Oliver Luck was QB for WVU. He did play for the Houston Oilers and is currently on the WVU Board of Governors. His son Andrew is the starting QB for Stanford.
My best friend is a Bengals fan and he doesn't even know that Wilson dude. Sorry no one knows these people and you act like they were friggin awesome.
Can someone tell me what in the **** Bill Stewart has ever done?
I don't think I understand the point of this thread. I'd be more impressed if these were records of rookie coaches, but to put a stat out there for coaches with experience who have taken over dominate programs already?????? It tells me nothing. Was it the new coach or the old coach that made the record????
Stardust Wrote:I don't think I understand the point of this thread. I'd be more impressed if these were records of rookie coaches, but to put a stat out there for coaches with experience who have taken over dominate programs already?????? It tells me nothing. Was it the new coach or the old coach that made the record????

Stewart is following the same model that Kelly had at Cincy. That is the only fair comparison on the list. Stoops took over of OU after Blake went 12-22. Tressel took over for Cooper at OSU after Cooper was 2-10-1 vs Michigan. Texas was in the toilet when Brown took over. Even though Zook left with a winning record at Florida, it still was not good enough.

BTW, someone asked what Bill Stewart ever did. Well, I can say without a doubt, that he had done more in 20 game than Brooks has done since he has been at UK.
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:Stewart is following the same model that Kelly had at Cincy. That is the only fair comparison on the list. Stoops took over of OU after Blake went 12-22. Tressel took over for Cooper at OSU after Cooper was 2-10-1 vs Michigan. Texas was in the toilet when Brown took over. Even though Zook left with a winning record at Florida, it still was not good enough.

BTW, someone asked what Bill Stewart ever did. Well, I can say without a doubt, that he had done more in 20 game than Brooks has done since he has been at UK.
MMMM beg to differ on that, Stewart has not move the WVU program any where since he has gotten there. They have kind of been on idel, they have only beaten one ranked team since he has been there and that was a overrated U-Conn program last season, the program has literally moved nowhere. While Brooks has taken a program and built it from the ground up.
[quote=dangerousdaneerfan]Stewart is following the same model that Kelly had at Cincy. That is the only fair comparison on the list. Stoops took over of OU after Blake went 12-22. Tressel took over for Cooper at OSU after Cooper was 2-10-1 vs Michigan. Texas was in the toilet when Brown took over. Even though Zook left with a winning record at Florida, it still was not good enough.

BTW, someone asked what Bill Stewart ever did. Well, I can say without a doubt, that he had done more in 20 game than Brooks has done since he has been at UK.[/QUOTE]

I would argue and say that WVU has taken a step back from where Rodriguez had led them since Stewart took over. Brooks on the other hand has improved Kentucky from where Morris and Mumme left it, IN SPITE of probation.

RichRod's last couple seasons had WVU in the National spotlight and in the conversation of being a National Title Contender..Stewart on the other hand has lost games he should have won and has not recruited to the same level.
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:Stewart is following the same model that Kelly had at Cincy. That is the only fair comparison on the list. Stoops took over of OU after Blake went 12-22. Tressel took over for Cooper at OSU after Cooper was 2-10-1 vs Michigan. Texas was in the toilet when Brown took over. Even though Zook left with a winning record at Florida, it still was not good enough.

Man you are retarded.
A Brooks team did beat the #1 ranked team in the country. I would say that qualifies as something.
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:Urban Myer - Florida

16-4 with Outback Bowl win

Mack Brown - Texas

15-5 with Cotton Bowl win

Bob Stoops - Oklahoma

15-5 with loss in Independence Bowl

Nick Saben - Alabama

14-6 with win Independence Bowl

Jim Tressel - Ohio State

15-5 with Outback Bowl loss

Pete Carroll - USC

12-8 with Las Vegas Bowl loss

Brian Kelly - Cincinnati

16-4 with International Bowl win and Papa John Bowl win

Les Miles - LSU

16-4 with Chick-Fil-A Bowl win

Charlie Weiss - Notre Dame

16-4 with Fiesta Bowl loss

Frank Beamer - Virginia Tech

9-11 with no bowl appearence

Mark Richt - Georgia

16-4 with Music City Bowl loss

BILL STEWART - WEST VIRGINIA

15-5 WITH FIESTA BOWL WIN AND CAR CARE BOWL WIN!!!!

This is highly inaccurate:
Urban Meyer-Bowling Green,OH and Utah before Florida
Mack Brown-Several seasons @ UNC before Texas
Nick Saban- Michigan St. and LSU (National Title) before Alabama
Jim Tressel- Youngstown St. several seasons and multiple national titles
Brian Kelley- Coached at one of the directional Michigan schools several seasons
Les Miles- Oklahoma St. four or five seasons
Bill Stewart- Previous coaching stint mentioned earlier in the thread.
You could be correct with Stoops, Beamer, Richt. I can't remember any previous head coaching stops.
I know you are correct with Weiss ND has been his only head coaching job at any level.
Pete Carroll has coached at least 32 games in the NFL with the Jets and Patriots.
If you are going to start a thread at least be in the ballpark accurate.
Bill Stewart is the Tubby Smith of college football. Hes a decent coach who had a great team fall in his lap and was able to win one BIG game with them. You will see the WVU program gradualy decline over the next few years just like UKs B-ball program did under Tubby. You West Virginians and your inferiority complex LOL!!!
I have never been so lost in a threa din my life. you spend every minute of the day trying to prove that wvu is a powerhouse in football and kentucky is a floormat. i dont understand it really. Noone her acts like uk is a powerhouse in football. we are true blue fans and cheer for are team no matter what the outcome of the game. but you are just insane to think that WVU is this elite program in college football.
Kelly won 2 National titles in DII his first coaching job and won 20 games in a row at one point.
Beamer was the HC at Murry State before moving to VTech (Nutt has a HC there too)
Those were the first 20 games for each coach AT THEIR CURRENT JOB. All it was was how Bill Stewart stacks up after 20 games (and two bowl wins) when compared at the same mile marker against Tressel, Stoops, et al.

One of the previous posters is quite right. I know Bill very well. However, this thing is showing signs of slowing down. A co-worker and I discussed that very thing today at during lunch. WVU will be in Louisville's shoes within two years.