Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Favorites to win State Championships
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
With the Ky Middle School Football Association tournament starting this week who is the favorites to win the division 1, division 2, and 7th grade state titles?
Can someone give a break down on the brackets or even who is in the State Championship
The brackets are posted on the State Association's website.

http://www.kymiddleschoolfootball.com

I would love to pick, but I sorta-kinda better stay neutral and keep my opinions to myself for once!!!!!! ha ha ha
I beleave Johnson county has a great shot.
Well it would be hard to go away from bowling green, but i was wondering who decided the way the playoffs would match up! Why are they 9 teams on one side and 4 on the other in the 7th grade. also how could they put the state champs and runner ups on the same side?? it just dont seem fair. But, the redhounds WILL... make a GREAT run this I promise!!
Believe me when I say that we have fielded your questions several times over the past 2 weeks, Redhoundnation.

First of all, like I said in an earlier post, there are still Regions (the state is divided into 8 in middle school) that do not have that much participation. We are working to change that. This is only the second year our association has existed. Last year, the complaint was that there weren't enough slots (8 8th grade teams made it and 8 7th grade teams made it). This year, we created 2 divisions for 8th grade so that enrollment would allow for some determination on who folks played. We basically TRIPLED the size of the tournament.

As for why some sides of the bracket have more games, the main reason is travel considerations. Playing on Saturday it isn't that big of a deal, but after the first round, the travel distances will most likely get farther away for these teams. Playing during the week (since we can't play on Friday nights) makes it necessary to consider geography more than high school playoffs do. Again, you have to understand that while we do have some similarities in some of our rules, we are not the KHSAA. We can't run this the same way as high school playoffs are run. We don't have enough teams (yet). Also, teams who had played one another in the regular season were supposed to be separated in the first round, if possible.
what about cumberland??? they should have a good oppertunity too
FF40212 Wrote:Believe me when I say that we have fielded your questions several times over the past 2 weeks, Redhoundnation.

First of all, like I said in an earlier post, there are still Regions (the state is divided into 8 in middle school) that do not have that much participation. We are working to change that. This is only the second year our association has existed. Last year, the complaint was that there weren't enough slots (8 8th grade teams made it and 8 7th grade teams made it). This year, we created 2 divisions for 8th grade so that enrollment would allow for some determination on who folks played. We basically TRIPLED the size of the tournament.

As for why some sides of the bracket have more games, the main reason is travel considerations. Playing on Saturday it isn't that big of a deal, but after the first round, the travel distances will most likely get farther away for these teams. Playing during the week (since we can't play on Friday nights) makes it necessary to consider geography more than high school playoffs do. Again, you have to understand that while we do have some similarities in some of our rules, we are not the KHSAA. We can't run this the same way as high school playoffs are run. We don't have enough teams (yet). Also, teams who had played one another in the regular season were supposed to be separated in the first round, if possible.
I understand the traveling its hard for working parents to make all the games in a season, even harder at the playoffs, It just seemed loped sided exspecialy the 7th grade. How will the home field play out threw out the playoffs? will it be determined by record? strenght of schedule? What if they have the same record? oh-well whats done is done! see ya all soon!
In 7th grade the winner of the Jackson Co./Corbin game wil have a strong shot at winning state
Jackson Cofan Wrote:In 7th grade the winner of the Jackson Co./Corbin game wil have a strong shot at winning state

I'm sorry; if that is the only thing stopping Corbin from a state title, start engraving the trophy. Saw both play this year, Corbin more than once and Jackson will have a tough time containing them, as will any 7th grade team.
when did you see Jackson Co 7th play?
FF40212 Wrote:Believe me when I say that we have fielded your questions several times over the past 2 weeks, Redhoundnation.

Am I the only one who finds this a contradiction?
On one hand the Association claims to be worried about "travel considerations" and they claim to be
trying to group the games geographically.

Then on the other hand they admit that
teams which played each other in the regular season are supposed to be seperated in the first round.
Why do we have to seperate teams which already played in the reg season?
Common sense would tell you these ARE teams which are close georgraphically, so if your main goal is reducing travel times,
then why complicate this with not allowing regular season opponents to play in the first round?

This contradiction is indicative of the larger problem with this whole system. There is very little planning or forethought involved. And there is no effort to inform people as to what the criteria is for the decisions which were made.

That is why we have the uneven brackets
with 4 on one side, 9 on the other.
That is why we have some teams getting two byes.
And that is why we have some teams being forced to play on 2 days rest when their opponent has been off for three weeks.

This whole process appears to be arbitrary and mysterious,
at least to someone looking in from the outside.
I have asked three times now for someone to explain how the bye games were awarded, and so far no one has replied.
Once again, how is it that Graves gets 2 byes and Bowling Green gets only one, when BG stomped Graves in the reg season?

I know this whole system is new and the powers that be are probably learning as thet go. And I am sure that they are making an effort to run this playoff as they believe is correct.
But unless they are more transparent as to how certain teams are awarded byes, home field advantage, and bizarre bracket placements,
then people are not going to continue to believe that this system is fair and unbiased, and teams will not want to continue to participate.
Can I have an update bracket from the 8th grade state Championship

Who all won and by what scores if you have them
its not started yet
I got knox middle going all the way :Thumbs:
No matter what, I appreicate everything that these gentleman have done for Middle School Football and appreicate their continued hard work to give middle school teams the same opportunity that high school teams have...

Thank You all that has had some part in the new middle school playoff format....
Bigblue78 Wrote:Am I the only one who finds this a contradiction?
On one hand the Association claims to be worried about "travel considerations" and they claim to be
trying to group the games geographically.

Then on the other hand they admit that
teams which played each other in the regular season are supposed to be seperated in the first round.
Why do we have to seperate teams which already played in the reg season?
Common sense would tell you these ARE teams which are close georgraphically, so if your main goal is reducing travel times,
then why complicate this with not allowing regular season opponents to play in the first round?

This contradiction is indicative of the larger problem with this whole system. There is very little planning or forethought involved. And there is no effort to inform people as to what the criteria is for the decisions which were made.

That is why we have the uneven brackets
with 4 on one side, 9 on the other.
That is why we have some teams getting two byes.
And that is why we have some teams being forced to play on 2 days rest when their opponent has been off for three weeks.

This whole process appears to be arbitrary and mysterious,
at least to someone looking in from the outside.
I have asked three times now for someone to explain how the bye games were awarded, and so far no one has replied.
Once again, how is it that Graves gets 2 byes and Bowling Green gets only one, when BG stomped Graves in the reg season?

I know this whole system is new and the powers that be are probably learning as thet go. And I am sure that they are making an effort to run this playoff as they believe is correct.
But unless they are more transparent as to how certain teams are awarded byes, home field advantage, and bizarre bracket placements,
then people are not going to continue to believe that this system is fair and unbiased, and teams will not want to continue to participate.

First off, no offense taken. I understand where someone looking from the outside may have questions. Heck, I have asked these same questions. I know its hard to project a "tone" on message boards and emails so I won't get all high and mighty and act offended by your post.

First of all, none of this is "mysterious". It was all explained in February at the annual Coaches meeting. It is also available, entirely, on the website (http://www.kymiddleschoolfootball.com) under "2009_Playoff_System_Presentation__Final.ppt" in the State Playoff Information section.

Since I am the one you quoted, I will be glad to re-explain my post. I said that there are areas of the state where schools have signed up to play. That is a good thing. There are areas that have a lot of teams, and there are areas that don't. Those areas that do have a lot of teams, EVERY ATTEMPT was made to keep them from having to play someone they had played already during the regular season. There are several cases where that was not possible (Gallatin v/s Frankfort is one that is involving KMSFA Board Members who will have to re-play one another. That should show you that there is no favoritism).

We understand that we are not high school football. We aren't trying to be. We understand that a lot of schools want to participate, but are limited by transportation budgets. Believe me, we deal DAILY with issues that are boundless. Every area of the state has a school that has some sort of issue on why they can't play in this. We do our best to work things out for everyone involved.

If you have any other questions, I invite you to email me personally. If you have a better way of running this, then I invite you to attend our annual meeting in February 2010 where you can present an alternative "one size fits all model" for middle schools across the state.
Thank for the compliment shondue....we beat jackson 36-16....trying to find out who our next oppenant will be....lex cath or southern paluski...by the way corbin 8th beat southern pulaski 36-14
corbin won the game.....waiting to see who we play next..
i agree w/ the brackets, but i have heard from coaches that bracket have been revised and awaiting to see the who is the winner of the lex. cath./southern paluski game for 7th & meade co./edmomson co. for 8th. if you know please inform.
Yes, i agree that the state is acknowledge middle sports, but i would like to see a better way of making up thed brackets fo rthe playoffs..... i know it probably wont make a difference, but have the a rep. from the the four semi-fianlists of each conference draw to see where they play in the playoff bracket.....because traveling 3+ hr to play a game is crazy....especially if a team from the opposite bracket is only 45 minutes apart....(ei meece vs. glasgow).....(in the oringinal bracket 7th grade had to possibily travel to greenup or lewis co.) but now we are know facing lex. cath. or southern paluski. Can we not come up with another way of making up the bracket????????
redhound93 Wrote:corbin won the game.....waiting to see who we play next..
It will be between Meade Co. and Edmonson co.
Bowling Green in the 8th Grade, Anderson Co runner up.
Divsion I, Neecse and watch out for Gallatin County
Meade County defeated Edmonson County 38-12 this afternoon.

Meade County and Corbin will most likely face one another on Tuesday or Thursday night at a neutral location.

Please check with your respective coach in the next day or so for more information.
This must be something new that they stated. If it have been around a few years. they left out a few teams. A Hazard 7th and 8th grade team that lose one game in 2 years. That one game was in the title game they have again Johnson Co. the next year they won it. This was 5 years back. A PCC 7th and 8th team that won it a few years back.
cj2561 Wrote:This must be something new that they stated. If it have been around a few years. they left out a few teams. A Hazard 7th and 8th grade team that lose one game in 2 years. That one game was in the title game they have again Johnson Co. the next year they won it. This was 5 years back. A PCC 7th and 8th team that won it a few years back.

What are you talking about?
There might be a team in Shelby County that has something to say about who wins the State Championship!!!!
The sleeper team in the larger bracket is CORBIN, go back and read this post over again in November! The 7th grade is almost a gimme!! What happen to this almighty jackson team that corbin did not want a part of?? oh-well.
Corbin is definitely a team that should be watched out for... heard that they are very well coached and have some good athletes...
REDHOUND NATION! Wrote:The sleeper team in the larger bracket is CORBIN, go back and read this post over again in November! The 7th grade is almost a gimme!! What happen to this almighty jackson team that corbin did not want a part of?? oh-well.
ssssssshhhhhhhhhh, I like being a sleeper.
Pages: 1 2