Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Break down the rules for state! Is there a bracket?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Please clear up the rules anyone!! brackets anywhere?
Brackets were posted on the High School and Middle School Coaches Listservs today.

Should be on the website (hopefully tonight).

What do you want to know?

Corbin plays Jackson County in the 7th grade bracket with the winner playing the winner of Greenup County v/s Lewis County.

In the D1 8th Grade bracket Corbin plays Southern Pulaski and the winner plays the winner of the Meade County v/s Edmonson County.
FF40212 Wrote:Brackets were posted on the High School and Middle School Coaches Listservs today.

Should be on the website (hopefully tonight).

What do you want to know?

Corbin plays Jackson County in the 7th grade bracket with the winner playing the winner of Greenup County v/s Lewis County.

In the D1 8th Grade bracket Corbin plays Southern Pulaski and the winner plays the winner of the Meade County v/s Edmonson County.
The web site middle school sports . com ?? Thanks for clearing up some issues that a few parents around corbin needed to know.
What is the website?
You have to pay to obtain a copy of the brackets? What kind of rip-off is that?
Not sure what you mean about paying for a copy of the brackets???

I posted them on this site earlier today.......for FREE!
Can anyone please explain to me how the 8th Grade Div 1 Playoff brackets were determined?

Both sides of the bracket have ten teams each,
but in Region 1 and 2 there are 6 teams playing in the first round,
while in Region 3 and 4 there are only four teams in the first round?

Also Graves County has two bye games in a row???? How is that possible?
No one else in the entire bracket has more than one bye.

It just seems to me that there ought to be more consistency in how the brackets were prepared. No team in my opinion has earned the right to two consecutive bye games.

It seems especially unfair in this case, because Bowling Green actually beat Graves County earlier this year, and yet they only get one bye to Graves Co's 2?
It is not a perfect science by any means. There is a few problems unique to MS playoffs.

In HS you KNOW you are going to get a certain amount of teams in the playoffs. They wanted 32 teams this year but they did not get it. Since teams are not playing in districts and the such its tough to do. Its more like making a playoff of the BSC teams or something. You also get tems that do not do what they are suppose to do in order to play.

Travel expenses. MS teams do not pull in the money like HS teams to pay for travel. The Graves Co game will be played on a neutral site due to travel. Unless your boosters pay for some or all of it, then it is very tough for MS teams to be able to pay for the travel to these games.

Now if some of these confrences would get on board as a group it would make a ton of difference. You could use the confrences as almost districts.
Who is in charge of this debacle anyway?? is this a fly by night operation? judging by the way the 7th grade brackets were set up it is?. I can see why nobody else joins......9 teams in the east and only four in the west. Play one game in the west and you are in the Semifinals. Lex Cath and Southern Pulaski already in the quarter finals in the east. lewis wins their confrence....Greenup comes in third in theirs yet Lewis has to go to Greenup. What was the thought process behind this bracket?
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:Who is in charge of this debacle anyway?? is this a fly by night operation? judging by the way the 7th grade brackets were set up it is?. I can see why nobody else joins......9 teams in the east and only four in the west. Play one game in the west and you are in the Semifinals. Lex Cath and Southern Pulaski already in the quarter finals in the east. lewis wins their confrence....Greenup comes in third in theirs yet Lewis has to go to Greenup. What was the thought process behind this bracket?

Before I comment, let me qualify a couple of things: I have no part in setting up the tournament, nor do I even know any of the people/coaches that are responsible. With that being said, your comments are way off base and totally unfair. I suggest that you read the rules and guidelines of the state association. They are located on the website under the heading "State Championship Information". http://www.digitalsports.com/article/typ...28185.aspx There are six links at the bottom of the page. If you read the attachments, everything is clearly explained.

Also, most middle schools do not have the budget or administrative support to travel to games that are 4+ hours away. This thing has to make geographical sense. Do you think that Raceland or Greenup would travel to Lone Oak (or vice versa) for a first or second round game? Whose to say that there won't be 16 teams in the west and only 4 in the east next year? Would you still feel the same way??? Let's just face reality, when money is tight, the 7th grade teams will receive less support...that is why you have less participation. Plus, a lot of the conferences in the west did not schedule accordingly as to allow their teams to participate. I know that Bowling Green will have to skip out on their conference tournament to play in the state or they will have to play 2 games in one day...which they probably could do (LOL!).
barrel Wrote:It is not a perfect science by any means. There is a few problems unique to MS playoffs.

In HS you KNOW you are going to get a certain amount of teams in the playoffs. They wanted 32 teams this year but they did not get it. Since teams are not playing in districts and the such its tough to do. Its more like making a playoff of the BSC teams or something. You also get tems that do not do what they are suppose to do in order to play.

Travel expenses. MS teams do not pull in the money like HS teams to pay for travel. The Graves Co game will be played on a neutral site due to travel. Unless your boosters pay for some or all of it, then it is very tough for MS teams to be able to pay for the travel to these games.

Now if some of these confrences would get on board as a group it would make a ton of difference. You could use the confrences as almost districts.

I agree that it is expensive to travel long distances at this level.
But you know what? That is part of it.
If a school cannot bear the expense and if their boosters wont pay for the trip then they can opt out of the playoffs.
Last I checked it is not mandatory to participate.

What is NOT ok is for a school to benefit from being in a remote location by being given fewer games to play to make it to the title game.
How is that fair to the other teams who have to play a full slate of games?

As another poster metioned, in the 7th grade brackets they have 4 teams on the left side and NINE on the right side.
This is patently unfair!
It is also easily fixed.
Just move Corbin and S Pulaski from the east to the west, and there would be 6 teams in the west and 7 in the east. Problem solved!
You will notice that Corbin and S Pulaski are already in the west side of the 8th grade bracket.
Thanks to those who replied to my prior post, but I am still not understanding how it was determined which teams received bye games.

In the 8th grade bracket Graves County gets two byes. No other team in the entire 8th grade bracket gets 2 byes. Bowling Green, who actually beat Graves earlier this year, only gets one bye.

When Graves finally does play a game, after 3 weeks of prep time, practice, and rest, it will be against an opponent that is coming off a game just 3 days before!
It does not make sense that Graves would get this tremendous advantage when they actually lost to Bowling Green during the regular season.

As stated by another poster, in the 7th grade bracket both Lexington Catholic and S Pulaski get double byes as well.
What is the thought process that goes into this decision? Are these rules written down anywhere where they can be checked?
How does a school qualify for a double bye?

Why was the 8th grade west bracket not laid out like the east? In the east they had the same number of teams but no one gets more than one bye.
If someone can explain this to me so that I can understand it I would be very grateful.
11hdcp Wrote:Before I comment, let me qualify a couple of things: I have no part in setting up the tournament, nor do I even know any of the people/coaches that are responsible. With that being said, your comments are way off base and totally unfair. I suggest that you read the rules and guidelines of the state association. They are located on the website under the heading "State Championship Information". http://www.digitalsports.com/article/typ...28185.aspx There are six links at the bottom of the page. If you read the attachments, everything is clearly explained.

Also, most middle schools do not have the budget or administrative support to travel to games that are 4+ hours away. This thing has to make geographical sense. Do you think that Raceland or Greenup would travel to Lone Oak (or vice versa) for a first or second round game? Whose to say that there won't be 16 teams in the west and only 4 in the east next year? Would you still feel the same way??? Let's just face reality, when money is tight, the 7th grade teams will receive less support...that is why you have less participation. Plus, a lot of the conferences in the west did not schedule accordingly as to allow their teams to participate. I know that Bowling Green will have to skip out on their conference tournament to play in the state or they will have to play 2 games in one day...which they probably could do (LOL!).

Looks like you just stated all of the reasons we shouldn't have a Jr. high state tournament. If it can't be split up the right way then why do it. I would feel the same way if there were more teams in the west than in the east. I'm from Raceland by the way. We will have to play 3 games just to get to the quarter finals of the 7th grade but if we were in the west we could play one game and be in the semifinals....Does that sound fair to you? If we can't do it right and make it fair then why do it at all? Personally I think a jr. high state tournament is rediculous. For example: We play a confrence Championship game on oct. 17th 2 days later we start play in the state tournament on the 19th, and if we win there we play again 3 days later. Now I'm no football Guru or anything but isn't that a little hard on jr high kids bodies playing games that close together. It all seems a little much to me. I thought we were trying to make highschool players.....Not kill them before they get there.
That Corbin/Jackson Co 7th grade game is going to be lights out. Winner of that will go a long ways
The 17th date was set as early as Feb of this year. Your confrence and the teams in it decide to make the championship fo your confrence on the 17th even though Raceland should have known in Feb when the first date of the state playoffs is. The focus is not on the 7th grade like it is on the D1 and DII schools.

There are a number of teams in the eastern part of th estate that play crazy amount of games in short periods of time. I do not agree with it but part of this falls on the schools themselves in planning correctly.

They tried to cut down on travel. The kids love being a part of it and that is who it is about. If more confrences and schools would take part it would eliminate much of this.
I'm from Jackson Co. and as long as we are playing we don't care how many games or how far away the game is. We've only had football for 4 years here and the county is in buzz for us making the playoffs
FF40212 Wrote:Not sure what you mean about paying for a copy of the brackets???

I posted them on this site earlier today.......for FREE!

And, if I want to print them, it's $9.99 for an 8X10
I went to this thread

[ame="http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72114"]State Playoff Brackets - Kentucky Sports Forum - BlueGrassRivals[/ame]

clicked on the thumbnail and hit print. It did not cost me a thing.
barrel Wrote:The 17th date was set as early as Feb of this year. Your confrence and the teams in it decide to make the championship fo your confrence on the 17th even though Raceland should have known in Feb when the first date of the state playoffs is. The focus is not on the 7th grade like it is on the D1 and DII schools.

There are a number of teams in the eastern part of th estate that play crazy amount of games in short periods of time. I do not agree with it but part of this falls on the schools themselves in planning correctly.

They tried to cut down on travel. The kids love being a part of it and that is who it is about. If more confrences and schools would take part it would eliminate much of this.

Football......contrary to what many of these nuts around here think....Is not a tournament sport. At least at the highschool level they wait at least a week before playing again. "The kids love being a part of it". I'm sure they do. My kid would love to drive my car at the age of 12 too but that's not going happen. Bottom line is these kids will play until somebody breaks their neck.
Now that I've ranted on and on about this......My son will be out their playing when the time comes to play. he quarterbacks Racelands 7th grade Not a high impact posistion in the spread offense. Now if he were a reciever or a running back I'm not so sure I would let him play 3 games in a 6 day period.