Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Windows 7
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Who all is updating from a previous microsoft operating system to windows 7.
I refused to waste my time with Vista but I will be moving to Windows 7 on at least one of my PCs. I am running Windows XP Pro on my desktop, Windows XP Home on one laptop, and Linux Mint on the other one. If I did not need Windows for work, I would install Linux on all of them.
I've pre ordered the windows 7 home premium 32 bit family pack upgrade for 3 pcs for 150$ off of tiger direct.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I refused to waste my time with Vista but I will be moving to Windows 7 on at least one of my PCs. I am running Windows XP Pro on my desktop, Windows XP Home on one laptop, and Linux Mint on the other one. If I did not need Windows for work, I would install Linux on all of them.
/Agree
Not yet, I'll wait till the bugs are out
Stardust Wrote:Not yet, I'll wait till the bugs are out

Thats what all the nurmerous betas and release candidates are for. There won't be many bugs in the rtm.
Since my mom bought a laptop after June of this year, she can automatically upgrade to Windows 7 so I guess I'll experience it once she does that. I probably won't be upgrading this laptop, just buy a new one later on in 2010.
I got my laptop for Christmas and I plan on updating it to 7 after I make sure there are no problems with it.
after all the bugs with vista.....probally not... i took every pc i have and put XP back on them
I have it on my laptop and i love it
CardinalAlum Wrote:I have it on my laptop and i love it

Are you running one of the pirated release candidates or one of the early pirated rtm copies that got out through one of those torrent sites?Confusedhh:

The reason I ask is I know windows 7 isn't out until Thursday and the only way I know anyone could get it that early is through a torrent site or some kind of download.

I did it with Vista a pirated release candidate on mine but I actually paid for my oem version of vista when it came out.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:Are you running one of the pirated release candidates or one of the early pirated rtm copies that got out through one of those torrent sites?Confusedhh:

The reason I ask is I know windows 7 isn't out until Thursday and the only way I know anyone could get it that early is through a torrent site or some kind of download.

I did it with Vista a pirated release candidate on mine but I actually paid for my oem version of vista when it came out.

I actually got it through Windows when they offered it awhile back as a tester and i get my official key when they release them.
http://windows.microsoft.com/upgradeadvisor download that to see what is compatible(programs & hardware) on your pc and which version to upgrade to.
For those who have already updated to windows 7 what do you think about it?

For me it seems to be even faster than xp and vista. Seems pretty much like vista updated to move faster.
After working with Windows 7 for a few weeks I have decided that I like it much better than Vista and even more than XP. I especially like Windows Media Center.

However, my favorite OS is Ubuntu and it is free. The hotel where I stay has been having internet connection issues. Using Windows 7 or XP, I am rarely able to connect to the internet, so I have been connecting with Ubuntu instead. I have even been able to connect to the VPN at work using Ubuntu and operate my Windows XP workstation remotely. I have installed Ubuntu on a bootable flash drive so that I can connect to the VPN from any PC.

My advice is to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional if you must use Windows. Ubuntu is not suitable for gamers or people who require specific programs that are not available for Linux, but for many people it would serve them well. Open Office allows you to create Microsoft Office compatible word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation documents in Ubuntu and there is very little difference using Firefox or Opera to web browse in Windows or Ubuntu.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:After working with Windows 7 for a few weeks I have decided that I like it much better than Vista and even more than XP. I especially like Windows Media Center.

However, my favorite OS is Ubuntu and it is free. The hotel where I stay has been having internet connection issues. Using Windows 7 or XP, I am rarely able to connect to the internet, so I have been connecting with Ubuntu instead. I have even been able to connect to the VPN at work using Ubuntu and operate my Windows XP workstation remotely. I have installed Ubuntu on a bootable flash drive so that I can connect to the VPN from any PC.

My advice is to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional if you must use Windows. Ubuntu is not suitable for gamers or people who require specific programs that are not available for Linux, but for many people it would serve them well. Open Office allows you to create Microsoft Office compatible word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation documents in Ubuntu and there is very little difference using Firefox or Opera to web browse in Windows or Ubuntu.
For most casual users windows 7 home premium is the way to go.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:For most casual users windows 7 home premium is the way to go.
I went with Windows 7 Pro to get the XP compatibility mode. I also decided to buy a PC with the 64-bit version because it supported up to 16GB of RAM. Most new PCs sold today, other than netbooks, have 64 bit processors, so IMO, the time has come to move to a 64-bit OS to match the new processors.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I went with Windows 7 Pro to get the XP compatibility mode. I also decided to buy a PC with the 64-bit version because it supported up to 16GB of RAM. Most new PCs sold today, other than netbooks, have 64 bit processors, so IMO, the time has come to move to a 64-bit OS to match the new processors.
well i've not had any problems with any thing that was for xp so far on home premium knock on wood.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I went with Windows 7 Pro to get the XP compatibility mode. I also decided to buy a PC with the 64-bit version because it supported up to 16GB of RAM. Most new PCs sold today, other than netbooks, have 64 bit processors, so IMO, the time has come to move to a 64-bit OS to match the new processors.
Not all have 64 bit but many do. Still yet because 32 bit is the most common still they get support first before 64 bit and I expect it will be that way untill they do away with a 32 bit os.
For instance I bought a program to kill yahoo chat spam and stop booters and they didn't even have 64 bit available untill 3 years after I bought it.
I like being able to access more memory than a 32-bit OS allows. Being able to set up multiple virtual servers running Linux while still having Windows 7 is not very practical without accessing more than 4 Gb of RAM. I know that is not a common application, but for a programmer needing to simulate a network of servers or somebody who just needs to run a couple of different operating systems without running two or more PCs (or rebooting to switch between systems), it is a big advantage.

So far, I have not had any compatibility problems but I have not transferred all of my programs over to the new PC.
A note to anybody who is going to switch from one operating system to another, DONT DO IT. I did it on my laptop and my wireless card, webcam, usb ports, cd drive, and anything that came built in to the computer wouldnt load. I tryed the cd that came with the computer and it didnts work, tryed to switch it back to xp and didnt work. I took it to the shop and they said my Hard drive was fryed????
not a good experience
Ptp71 Wrote:A note to anybody who is going to switch from one operating system to another, DONT DO IT. I did it on my laptop and my wireless card, webcam, usb ports, cd drive, and anything that came built in to the computer wouldnt load. I tryed the cd that came with the computer and it didnts work, tryed to switch it back to xp and didnt work. I took it to the shop and they said my Hard drive was fryed????
not a good experience
I did the upgrade from vista to 7. I formated the vista oem put it back on got service pack 1 then upgraded with no problems.
whats the link to windows 7????
Strikeout King Wrote:whats the link to windows 7????

I guess you mean link to download windows 7?
Ptp71 Wrote:A note to anybody who is going to switch from one operating system to another, DONT DO IT. I did it on my laptop and my wireless card, webcam, usb ports, cd drive, and anything that came built in to the computer wouldnt load. I tryed the cd that came with the computer and it didnts work, tryed to switch it back to xp and didnt work. I took it to the shop and they said my Hard drive was fryed????
not a good experience

That's a hard drive issue, not a changing-OS issue.
windows 7 is about the best or best os microsoft has ever released
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:windows 7 is about the best or best os microsoft has ever released

****ing with faint praise.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:http://isohunt.com/release/310845/windows+7
I hope none of those copys have serial keys or cracks because that is promoting pirating and is illegal and i'm sure qq wants no part of promoting pirating on here if I was guessing. I mean it's not a big deal if you have a legit key and need a replacement copy of 7 but if you don't have a key and are trying to crack it its illegal
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:I hope none of those copys have serial keys or cracks because that is promoting pirating and is illegal and i'm sure qq wants no part of promoting pirating on here if I was guessing. I mean it's not a big deal if you have a legit key and need a replacement copy of 7 but if you don't have a key and are trying to crack it its illegal

its just a link for the download...... but they can delete it if they would like..
Pages: 1 2