Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Cal: This will be Patterson’s last season at UK
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Kentucky Coach John Calipari told a group of high school coaches on Friday that star big man Patrick Patterson will be playing his final season for the Wildcats in 2009-10.

Speaking to the Kentucky Association of Basketball Coaches, Calipari said his first UK team’s experience consisted of “three seniors and Patrick Patterson, who will leave this year. Hopefully he’ll be a top 10 pick.”

That Patterson would leave after his junior season comes as no surprise. But it was also interesting that Calipari gave himself no wiggle room.
Patterson averaged 17.9 points and 9.3 rebounds as a sophomore last season. He recorded 15 double-doubles, topped the 1,000-poiint career scoring mark and made the All-Southeastern Conference first team.

Although projected as a first-round draft choice, Patterson chose to return to UK for this coming season. He said he wanted to improve his perimeter skills while acknowledging that at 6-foot-9 he would be unlikely to be a consistent scorer in the low post against NBA competition.

Calipari expressed mixed feelings about Patterson as a face-the-basket player.

“I better teach him how to play out (on the floor),” the UK coach said before adding, “But I’m trying to win, too.”

As he had said before, Calipari noted how Patterson would be stationed in the low post at the end of close games.

“I tell Patrick, ‘Play like a guard,’ ” Calipari said. “When the game’s on the line, (his teammates) will all be saying, ‘Get under the goal, Patrick.’ ”
Patterson, a native of Huntington, W.Va., came to UK as the long-sought-after power forward. He was a McDonald’s All-American after leading Huntington High to three straight West Virginia 3A state championships.

Patterson goes into this coming season still seeking to play in a NCAA Tournament. An ankle injury ended his freshman season. He watched from the bench as the Cats lost to Marquette in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

UK failed to receive a bid to the NCAA Tournament last season.
Calipari re-stocked Kentucky’s front line this off-season. He re-recruited Daniel Orton, who originally signed with former Coach Billy Gillispie. Calipari also brought in highly regarded freshman DeMarcus Cousins.

In his talk to the coaches, Calipari suggested that he might have some issues with Cousins regarding the big man being around the basket or on the perimeter.

In a recent scrimmage, Cousins had at least 20 points and 20 rebounds. That prompted Calipari to say he told the freshman, “You were a beast. . . . Are you that good? Because if you are that good, it’s starting to get scary.”

After Cousins thanked the coach, Calipari said he added, “But your body language (stunk).”

Cousins then explained. “It’s how you’re plaing me,” he told Calipari. “You know my skills are out on the floor.”

To which Calipari told the coaches, “He thinks that’s what people want to see from a 6-11, 270 (player).”

Calipari offered a compromise.

The UK coach told his audience, “I may tell him with every 10 rebounds, I’ll let you go to the top of the key and go crazy.”

http://ukbasketball.bloginky.com/2009/09...son-at-uk/
I would love to see PP be a top 10 pick
This is no shocker, Good Luck PP
Patterson will SEC player of the year, no contest, and prolly a top 5 pick. Everbody is gonna miss him after this year.
leecoukfan Wrote:Patterson will SEC player of the year, no contest, and prolly a top 5 pick. Everbody is gonna miss him after this year.

SEC player of the year maybe, but john wall is a contender beside him
Can't wait to see that last season. They are going to be scary good.
I dont think he will be picked in the top 5 but will be picked by the 10th round.
You think?
Just my opinion.
Ill miss him but we will only get better so good luck PP and lets go cats
yea ill miss him to but we now have a coach that can recruit so it wont be as bad it wont take 3 years to find someone to fill his shoes...
I have yet to see Patterson since he returned from San Francisco, but people say he is a BEAST! This is his team. He's the emotional leader who can also lead by example with his play. I really think he will have a season to remember!
I really don't want to know what is going on in there heads. 16 days aways from BBM right?
Patterson is one of the All time greats at UK

3 year starter
All SEC
All America(preseason)
1000 point club
gratuated in 3 years.
Never was involved in off the court problems.
Future lottery pick.

What else could you want from this kid? I happy he's gonna make millions
Patterson is my second favorite Cat of all-time. I actually think he may have worked his way into a tie with Tayshaun Prince in my mind. He has done so much for this program and even though he couldn't turn the program around with BCG as his coach it was the first step. I think he has loved his time spent at Kentucky and how much the fans love him. I am greatly going to miss Patterson in the blue and white but I knew it was going to have to happen eventually. I wish him the best of luck in the NBA next season.
I wish him the best!
He is classy for sure. He is one of the all-time UK greats IMO.
Do you think UK should honor PP Sunday? He is a senior by academic standards even though he has one more year of eligibility.
Which team could benefit the most from him? I say the Thunder could use him a lot.
Who was it last week started a thread saying big CUZ was staying and then on in thread that PP and wall was staying??lol... Good luck to PP, wall, and Cuz, you all will be great Players next season in the NBA
cougarpride08 Wrote:Which team could benefit the most from him? I say the Thunder could use him a lot.

You know you cant pick the thunder as your favorite team on here???Its no an option
washed up Wrote:Do you think UK should honor PP Sunday? He is a senior by academic standards even though he has one more year of eligibility.

thats a good ideal, because he wont be back, is really coming on again after coach worked with him..
Agree, he is a quality young man, he has had to deal with the OJ circus in high school, one mediocre and one bad year at UK, freshman and Cal grabbing the attention this year. I am not aware of discontentment or murmurings, he is graduating early, will be a first round draft pick. WOW Congratulation to his parents for raising such an inspiring young man. I am sure he has his weaknesses and faults like everyone else, but he handles himself with a level of maturity not found in many kids his age.
PP is a class act
The Iceboxx Wrote:Patterson is one of the All time greats at UK

3 year starter
All SEC
All America(preseason)
1000 point club
gratuated in 3 years.
Never was involved in off the court problems.
Future lottery pick.

What else could you want from this kid? I happy he's gonna make millions

Right up there with Mashburn, Hayes, Prince for my favorite players! Oh yeah and Meeks. PPat is all that is right with the college basketball game. He is one of the best players/people I have seen on the team in a long time. I really hope that BECAUSE of the graduation he will be able to be introduced in the senior festivities. I can not wait to hear how loud it gets.
Im not saying PP is the best player ever at UK..but he is one of my favorites...I mean he has always been able to keep his cool and acts very mature on the court and from what i hear off the court...Good luck to PP where ever he may end up at
PP is for sure going to have a future in the NBA