Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: My Rant on "Swagger" and "The U" (LONG)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Alright, I have officially reached a breaking point after today. Let me first preface this by saying I am very happy Miami is back to relevance, they were a dominant program from the 80's to early 200's and I have a ton of respect for Randy Shannon. I think Shannon is a good person and his approach of cleaning house is very respectable.

With that said, here is my rant:

Reading the Atlanta Journal Constitution at lunch today while I sat in my truck listening to Jim Donnan on the radio I was hit by a barrage of irritation. First and foremost the artcile in the AJC outlined how Miami has gotten their "swagger" back and outlined how the most popular shirt being sold in Florida says "The U Invented Swagger".

Now my first complaint is more a reflection on pop culture and the sabotage of the human language nowadays. It started with the saying "it is what it is" and now "swagger" has reached similar proportions. I hear this noun being used everywhere. Teams no longer are confident, they have "swagger". A team who plays aggressive plays with a certain "swagger". The diva wide receiver's in the country no longer are me first players, they just have a certain "swagger" about them. Soulja boy gets his "swag on takes a look in the mirror says what's up". ITS FREAKIN EVERYWHERE! "Swagger", when used as a noun, has the following definition:

–noun 4. swaggering manner, conduct, or walk; ostentatious display of arrogance and conceit.

So for all these kids who think it is cool to talk about having swagger when you play football, it is not. Play confident, but don't play arrogant.

Alright, now for "The U". I hate that hand gesture. I can;t exactly say why, but it irritates me. Maybe, it is because you basically are making the "L" for loser (or Louisville which is definately synonomous) and multiplying it by 2. Maybe it is because in a city notorious for violence, criminal activities, and gangs, with a program notorious for violence, criminal activities, and gangs, to make a gesture eerily resembling a gang sign just doesn't look right. Maybe it is because as they make this gesture they also shout "UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU" and it sounds like a chorus of boos. Maybe it is because now everytime an official measurement is needed in a Miami game and the Canes come up short by 6", the ref will unintentionally do this symbol as well. Either way, it is childish, it is irrelevant, yet it is glorified by ESPN with probably over 200 pans to the crowd doing this gesture over the course of a game. I promise this BGR... if I have a football in my hands and I see a member of this site make that gesture my immediate response will be to try to "split the uprights" liek in paper football as hard as possible.

Then, as I began stewing over the article and the obnoxious Miami fans (which I encountered first hand last year at a Georgia Tech game, a game GT dominated yet the "U" fans would make their stupid gesture and taunt all the GT fans around them even when trailing by 4 TD's), a caller called into the radio. This caller was a Miami fan. Since I have moved to Atlanta I have NEVER heard a Miami fan call in to ANY sports talk radio show. This fan was talking about how Miami was the best team in Flroida and cited the Sagarrin Ratings in which Miami appeared as #1 and Florida State at #2 in the nation. At this point, I was pushed over the proverbial edge.

How in the world is Miami worthy of being #1? Sure, I will credit them with two solid victories over hsitorically talented programs. But, the fact remains they defeated two ACC teams. The same ACC who went 1-2 vs. the Colonial Athletic Conference so far this year (the one win was in overtime). The same ACC, who despite the fact they traditionalyl do not plays a Pc-10, Big 12, or SEC team in their BCS game, that until last year had went nearly a decade without a BCS Bowl win. The same ACC who's top team Virginia Tech got dismantled in Week 1 ona neutral field by Alabama. And Florida State at #2? I'll give them credit for dominating BYU, but this is the same FSU who needed everything n the, to beat Jacksonville State from the OVC and who appeared to have one of the worst secondaries I have ever seen when they lost to Miami.

"The U" plays Virginia Tech this weekend in a gae certainly to be filled with gang signs, "swagger", and inflated National Rankings. If Miami defeats VaTech (who I would consider to be maybe the 6th best team if they were in the SEC) the Canes will be a Top 10 team, gameday will be in Miami for the Oklahoma, game, and rgw program will officially be announced a sbeing back as an ELITE porgram in the nation and National Title Contender (Did I mention how WAKE FRICKIN FOREST WON THE ACC A COUPLE YEARS AGO?!?!?). I think I will be cheering for VaTech and making turkey's with my hands instead.
I feel you, but I - being on the cusp of the Baby Boomer and the G-X generations, grew up during the time of transition from the Hippy - that was about peace and fun, and the yuppy that was about self and attitude. When that is all mixed, it creates swagger and know your S*** doesn't stink. There is no lack of confidence in this group of is who are in our 40's, and the generation of cocksure and defiance, that the "U" most visibly displayed, is a pretty good representation of many of us. I was a fan of Miami, because of their football program that brought a style and speed that no one at the time could duplicate. They knew they were better than you, and they told you so! That ticked the rest of the Notre Dame loving world off, Too Bad! The U and their Camo's dominated like no other era of football. They ushered in a new style of football, but may equally be blamed for the new attitude of athlete.

As for the style: Everyone builds teams with speed first, and power second. The "U" didn't have the biggest or strongest guys in the game, but they had the fastest. Guys like Warren Sapp who ran an absurd 4.6 40 during an era that the backs and receivers in the Big 10 and Big 12 were running. Everyone loved neon Deion when he was blowing by people at FSU, but the Canes had a team of guys like that. Now look at the Big 10. Remember when Miami and OSU played in the BCS championship and it was uttered that OSU have MORE team speed than Miami. Miami created an entirely new brand of football.

As for attitude. Everyone wants to blame it on Hip Hop and put it all on Basketball players. Un-uh, the "U" created that attitude. Self promoting, all about what I do, and I WILL BEAT YOU! All thought of from today's basketball players was first manifested by the Canes when they walked off that plane in full Camo's. Sportsmanship, NO WAY. They were bad for the game from that standpoint, but FUN! Oh Yeah!

Do the Cane's have the swagger - uh - NO! That swagger will not come with the current coaching staff. Where is it now? Where everyone is beginning to HATE. Look out, because if Lane Kiffin ever gets the athletes, there will be a new shade of orange carrying that old-style Cane swagger!
I agree with your EKU. A win by "the U" over VA Tech and suddenly, out of nowhere, they are annoited as National Title contender. Thas because the media wants tradition-rich teams to suceed. They're dying for Notre Dame to come alive. They don't want to see a team like Cincinnati or Boise State crash the "swagger" party of arrogance.

Good post EKU and good story.
Let me say first that I cant stand The (co)Canes. IMO they are the very embodiment of what is wrong with sports. I loved it today when the "U" went down to Blacksburg and a class act guy like Frank Beamer who runs a class program just wore them out from beginning to end. Almost reminds me of 1992 when Miami got embarrased by 'Bama in the Sugar Bowl. Just out of curiosity what is the "U"s record against SEC schools?
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Let me say first that I cant stand The (co)Canes. IMO they are the very embodiment of what is wrong with sports. I loved it today when the "U" went down to Blacksburg and a class act guy like Frank Beamer who runs a class program just wore them out from beginning to end. Almost reminds me of 1992 when Miami got embarrased by 'Bama in the Sugar Bowl. Just out of curiosity what is the "U"s record against SEC schools?
So far all I have found is that they lead UF 28-26.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Alright, I have officially reached a breaking point after today. Let me first preface this by saying I am very happy Miami is back to relevance, they were a dominant program from the 80's to early 200's and I have a ton of respect for Randy Shannon. I think Shannon is a good person and his approach of cleaning house is very respectable.

With that said, here is my rant:

Reading the Atlanta Journal Constitution at lunch today while I sat in my truck listening to Jim Donnan on the radio I was hit by a barrage of irritation. First and foremost the artcile in the AJC outlined how Miami has gotten their "swagger" back and outlined how the most popular shirt being sold in Florida says "The U Invented Swagger".

Now my first complaint is more a reflection on pop culture and the sabotage of the human language nowadays. It started with the saying "it is what it is" and now "swagger" has reached similar proportions. I hear this noun being used everywhere. Teams no longer are confident, they have "swagger". A team who plays aggressive plays with a certain "swagger". The diva wide receiver's in the country no longer are me first players, they just have a certain "swagger" about them. Soulja boy gets his "swag on takes a look in the mirror says what's up". ITS FREAKIN EVERYWHERE! "Swagger", when used as a noun, has the following definition:

–noun 4. swaggering manner, conduct, or walk; ostentatious display of arrogance and conceit.

So for all these kids who think it is cool to talk about having swagger when you play football, it is not. Play confident, but don't play arrogant.

Alright, now for "The U". I hate that hand gesture. I can;t exactly say why, but it irritates me. Maybe, it is because you basically are making the "L" for loser (or Louisville which is definately synonomous) and multiplying it by 2. Maybe it is because in a city notorious for violence, criminal activities, and gangs, with a program notorious for violence, criminal activities, and gangs, to make a gesture eerily resembling a gang sign just doesn't look right. Maybe it is because as they make this gesture they also shout "UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU" and it sounds like a chorus of boos. Maybe it is because now everytime an official measurement is needed in a Miami game and the Canes come up short by 6", the ref will unintentionally do this symbol as well. Either way, it is childish, it is irrelevant, yet it is glorified by ESPN with probably over 200 pans to the crowd doing this gesture over the course of a game. I promise this BGR... if I have a football in my hands and I see a member of this site make that gesture my immediate response will be to try to "split the uprights" liek in paper football as hard as possible.

Then, as I began stewing over the article and the obnoxious Miami fans (which I encountered first hand last year at a Georgia Tech game, a game GT dominated yet the "U" fans would make their stupid gesture and taunt all the GT fans around them even when trailing by 4 TD's), a caller called into the radio. This caller was a Miami fan. Since I have moved to Atlanta I have NEVER heard a Miami fan call in to ANY sports talk radio show. This fan was talking about how Miami was the best team in Flroida and cited the Sagarrin Ratings in which Miami appeared as #1 and Florida State at #2 in the nation. At this point, I was pushed over the proverbial edge.

How in the world is Miami worthy of being #1? Sure, I will credit them with two solid victories over hsitorically talented programs. But, the fact remains they defeated two ACC teams. The same ACC who went 1-2 vs. the Colonial Athletic Conference so far this year (the one win was in overtime). The same ACC, who despite the fact they traditionalyl do not plays a Pc-10, Big 12, or SEC team in their BCS game, that until last year had went nearly a decade without a BCS Bowl win. The same ACC who's top team Virginia Tech got dismantled in Week 1 ona neutral field by Alabama. And Florida State at #2? I'll give them credit for dominating BYU, but this is the same FSU who needed everything n the, to beat Jacksonville State from the OVC and who appeared to have one of the worst secondaries I have ever seen when they lost to Miami.

"The U" plays Virginia Tech this weekend in a gae certainly to be filled with gang signs, "swagger", and inflated National Rankings. If Miami defeats VaTech (who I would consider to be maybe the 6th best team if they were in the SEC) the Canes will be a Top 10 team, gameday will be in Miami for the Oklahoma, game, and rgw program will officially be announced a sbeing back as an ELITE porgram in the nation and National Title Contender (Did I mention how WAKE FRICKIN FOREST WON THE ACC A COUPLE YEARS AGO?!?!?). I think I will be cheering for VaTech and making turkey's with my hands instead.

I hate all teams from Florida... but I cant stand the Canes...never have and never will... and I am with you the "U" sign gets under my skin.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Let me say first that I cant stand The (co)Canes. IMO they are the very embodiment of what is wrong with sports. I loved it today when the "U" went down to Blacksburg and a class act guy like Frank Beamer who runs a class program just wore them out from beginning to end. Almost reminds me of 1992 when Miami got embarrased by 'Bama in the Sugar Bowl. Just out of curiosity what is the "U"s record against SEC schools?

SEC (5 - Tennessee, 1998; LSU, 2003, 2007; Florida, 2006, 2008)
Prior to the 1998 season, the Divsion I-A national championship was awarded, by the AP and various other polling organizations. It was only with the establishment of the BCS that teams actually had to win the national championship, on the field. Since that time, SEC teams have won 5 national championships. No other conference has won more than 2 (Big 12, and ACC, if you include Miami's national championship in the ACC total, even though they were not part of the ACC at that time). The Big 10 and Pac 10 have one each (Ohio State and USC). The Big East has one, but only if you count Miami's national championship, since Miami was in the Big East at the time they won it. So:
If you go with conference affiliation at the time of the championship:
SEC (5)
Big 12 (2)
ACC (1)
Big 10 (1)
Big East (1)
Pac 10 (1)

something to ponder at? i didnt know that they used to pick who the champ was, no wonder USC has so many