Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Kentucky 31 Louisville 27
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Final.

:Cheerlead
definitely entertaining
Closer than expected but I'll take it.
Closer than I wanted but I agree I'll still take it. Looks like we might have a chance at breaking the streak of whomever wins the FB game losing the BB game. UK will have a great chance at winning both this year.
UK's defensive line got manhandled in this game. Hartline's old self showed up again it seemed, but he did put the winning drive together with TD to Cobb. Our defense needs to step it up though because the Gators are coming to town next week.

Congrats Cats!
Glad we came out with a win!!!
Next week could be really ugly if we don't correct several areas.
The offense needs some work right now. I'd like to see how many times Hartline threw beyond 20 yards from scrimmage (I mean 20 yards IN THE AIR, not short of it and the reciever runs the rest of it). In order for this team to be successful Hartline must extend/stretch the defense. By doing so it will help our run game be even better as we won't have 8 lineman in the box. The improvement I did see from Hartline today was that he threw the ball in the middle of the field, which he didn't do last year. Hartline threw up the middle today but not very far. He threw short crossing routes all day.

As for the 2-minute offense toward the end of the 1st half, the entire blame should go on Hartline as he knows how much time is left and he has to hurry the offense up. Plus, at that juncture when you have no timeouts left, you must either pass to the sideline or to the endzone when you are that close. As most of you saw he didn't do that, and thats what led to us not scoring at the end of the 1st half.

Yet again I reiterate that Hartline MUST extend the defense with some deep throws which he did not do today. If he doesn't, they will stack the box the whole game. Also, I still believe we aren't utilizing Matthews size enough right now in the redzone or on the field in-general for that matter. I think he may have had 2 catches all day and he was only thrown at 3 times. Gotta use him because Cobb can't catch every pass. Gotta have another WR who they defense has to respect so they have to respect both which also opens up our offense.

The Defense wasn't that bad. That stretch of 3 straight turnovers just tired them out as they weren't able to get any rest and I think thats what caused them to give up the points they did. The offense needs to give them more rest and not turn the ball over so they can do their job. I believe we got better pressure on the QB today from our Defensive Ends which is a plus as that didn't happen too much in the Miami(OH) game. Burtke didn't look too much at Trevard Lindley's way today. I believe only one guy caught a pass today that Lindley was defending and it was a one handed catch at that and it was perfectly placed by Burtke just over the shoulder. Other than that Lindley was pretty good. They went at Paul Warford the whole game. Anytime there was a 1-on-1 match up with Louisville targeted him. Warford was getting burned alot today. Hopefully it was just nerves in it being a rivalry game and the opening home game.

Overall, a win is a win, now we need to turn our focus to Florida and shore up the mistakes we made today. If we don't, I could see us losing by 40. If Hartline is able to limit his turnovers and stretch the defense, I think this team could go a long way. Now some of you may think I'm getting on Hartline a bit much here but its because I know he has the potential and he has shown it. He is definitely improved from last year. He just needs to have more confidence to throw the ball down field and not all these short passes he has been throwing. He his throwing down the middle now which is a definite improvement from last year when he only threw to the flat. Basically to sum it up, we need a more vertical passing game than what we showed but Hartline is making improvements little by little. He has promise and I'm sure he will continue to improve as the season progresses.
CatDawg Wrote:Closer than I wanted but I agree I'll still take it. Looks like we might have a chance at breaking the streak of whomever wins the FB game losing the BB game. UK will have a great chance at winning both this year.

I agree.. My dad is a Louisville fan and the first thing he said was oh well that means we are gonna win the basketball game this year.
On a side note, Derrick Locke had a GREAT game today. 300+ all-purpose yards on 23 touches. Can't get much better than that. He and Cobb put this team on their backs today and came away with a win. Lots and lots of things work on next week for the Florida game for sure...
Jimmy Dugan Wrote:I agree.. My dad is a Louisville fan and the first thing he said was oh well that means we are gonna win the basketball game this year.
Normally I would agree with him but this year I still think we can get the sweep.
Louisville def came out to wint it today. They have said all summer that UK was their biggest game and it showed.

Hats off to our defense. Kept us in the game really.

Hartline, you got to hold on to the ball. But Hartline should have never been running the option anyways. Good call Joker. Don't worry about the interception. It was a good play by the corner to jump that route.

And somebody fire that clock manager.
Also looks like our QB Coach Randy Sanders suffered a broken wrist today after a Louisville player collided with him going out of bounds. Looks like he is going to need surgery...
I was more impressed by the weaker Louisville than I was my Cats
BaseballIsLife Wrote:Also looks like our QB Coach Randy Sanders suffered a broken wrist today after a Louisville player collided with him going out of bounds. Looks like he is going to need surgery...

:lmao:
Story of the game being so close:
1. 3rd Quarter... UK had 4 offensive plays and 3 turnovers.
2. I still do not know why Steve Brown REFUSES to blitz on 3rd and Long. In the 3rd and 4th Quarter the UK D-line (which isn't deep anyway) was gassed due to the bove mentioned turnovers. Yet, Brown continued to only rush 4 allowing Burke to have all day to pass or wait for his WR's to clear out so he could scramble.
3. UL's running game success was a mixture of very good running by Anderson and overpursuit time after time by the UK defense.
4. UK's tackling was attrocious... simply sickening to be honest.

People can criticize UK's offense, in particular Hartline all they want, but the offense looked fine to me. The running game produced a ton of yards and the passing game did exactly what it was designed for..move the sticks and let Cobb and Matthews make plays.
Stardust Wrote:I was more impressed by the weaker Louisville than I was my Cats
I too.
Florida will score 60 on us next week if we don't play any better.
Just got back...What a game..I knew when I seen the 14 point spread that UK would not cover...CHA CHING FOR ME! Nice win CATS....Bring on Florida! GOD BE WITH USSmile
Usually I'm the only one in my house who gets really into these games,
but today, I woke up, & both my mom AND dad had UK shirts on.
actually they had got them out of my closet, but still.
We had a UK cake and everything.
Great Time.

I guess the Blue really is contagious.
It was the worst 3rd quarter of football they have played in a while, but I will take the "W".
cougarpride08 Wrote:It was the worst 3rd quarter of football they have played in a while, but I will take the "W".
:1: i really think what happened at the end of the half changed the "big mo". coach probably let them boys have it in the locker room which they deserved. they came out with no heart on offense. good thing our defnese got some rest at half. one question has anyone ever seen a 15 second runoff? i never had!!!
beasy_bo Wrote::1: i really think what happened at the end of the half changed the "big mo". coach probably let them boys have it in the locker room which they deserved. they came out with no heart on offense. good thing our defnese got some rest at half. one question has anyone ever seen a 15 second runoff? i never had!!!

That was bizarre and poor officiating, BUT the blame has to go to Uk for that more than anyone. The play where Hartline wasted the timeout after about 20 seconds ran off the clock was horrible, and the pass for 1 yard in bounds was even worse.
I thought Locke was the one whom it Sanders or at least a UK player.
I am enjoying the win!

Thumbs down: Our lack of tackling ability....jeez! Hartline, still isn't much better at all...

Thumbs up: Derick Locke is a man child! ANd kudos to the Cats after three straight turnovers and losing the lead twice after halftime and still come out with a win ...UK has came along way where in In years past, UK would have folded up and went home in the third quarter.

Congrats Cats, practice your butts off and let's get ready for those Gators!

Oh yeah,....3 Straight vs. the Dirty Birds!
I had been thinking the exact same BP. When we lost the lead after shooting ourselves in the foot we would have collapsed in years past.
Any word on Trevard? How was his bruise leg?
Great game to listen to. Does anyone know where to watch a replay online?
great win for the cats it was way closer than i wanted to be because i have no fingers left now but it dont matter whether you win by a point or 50 points winning is winning GO CATS BEAT GATORS we actually seen they are human vols was a couple good plays from pulling the upset
Sometimes a sign of a good team is win they can win even though they maybe shouldn't. UK tried their best to give this one away but still found a means to come out on top.
Pages: 1 2