Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: How important is winning?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
how far should you go, what are you willing to sacrifice to walk off the field with a win. a 5th grade football coach was in a bad spot earlierthis week, he told his team if they showed up for practice, worked hard they would play. since practice started he had planned and practiced two offensive units to rotate drives. in their first game earlier this week, his team got the ball first, a couple first downs and the drive stalled, or it might have been a turnover, the other team took the ball and scored, second series coach elects to keep the first team back on the field, they hit paydirt off a great run. two more times hey got the ball first half. first team all half. at the half the score was tied. during halftime coach asked who hadnt played yet about five hands went up. after the d got them the ball back. with good field position, the first team came back on the field. with first and goal from the four they couldnt punch it in. the other team scored on the next drive on a run of at least 80 yards, on a play the d had praciced for and seen at least a dozen times the last practice. with six minutes left in the fourth coach had to make a decision, to be true to his word to his players or try to tie the game, HOW IMPORTANT IS WINNING, coach brought his second unit on the field, they were driving but one botched play and an offsides proved to be to much to overcome. they lost the game. what do you think coach should have done. some of the parents that usally meet coach at the gate and walk with him all the way to his car, shunned him and slurred him, but coach left the field with his integrity and his players trust what do you think
At that age, having fun and instilling the love for whatever sport you are coaching is the most important.
MADJACK75 Wrote:how far should you go, what are you willing to sacrifice to walk off the field with a win. a 5th grade football coach was in a bad spot earlierthis week, he told his team if they showed up for practice, worked hard they would play. since practice started he had planned and practiced two offensive units to rotate drives. in their first game earlier this week, his team got the ball first, a couple first downs and the drive stalled, or it might have been a turnover, the other team took the ball and scored, second series coach elects to keep the first team back on the field, they hit paydirt off a great run. two more times hey got the ball first half. first team all half. at the half the score was tied. during halftime coach asked who hadnt played yet about five hands went up. after the d got them the ball back. with good field position, the first team came back on the field. with first and goal from the four they couldnt punch it in. the other team scored on the next drive on a run of at least 80 yards, on a play the d had praciced for and seen at least a dozen times the last practice. with six minutes left in the fourth coach had to make a decision, to be true to his word to his players or try to tie the game, HOW IMPORTANT IS WINNING, coach brought his second unit on the field, they were driving but one botched play and an offsides proved to be to much to overcome. they lost the game. what do you think coach should have done. some of the parents that usally meet coach at the gate and walk with him all the way to his car, shunned him and slurred him, but coach left the field with his integrity and his players trust what do you think

These are the parents that have kept me out of coaching little league sports.
That is the problem a bunch of parents who are trying to relive their "glory days" through their kids at any cost. If the parents would let the coach be the coach their kid would either adjust or not play. The kids will play together and develop teamwork if the parents would stay out of the huddle, the kids adjust well and just enjoy their time playing a sport they play because they like it.

But in all fairness to every child, the playing field is not equal. The competition of the sport has been taken away by allowing every child "fair and guaranteed" playing time just because they are on the team. What happened to the days when if little johnny wanted a spot on the team he worked his butt off in practice and games to earn or keep the spot. Coaches are afraid to coach the game the way it should be coached for fear of parents coming out of the stands and demanding that their child play, even if they are not the right individual for the position!
That is the most important thing at this age. And they need to have a love of the sport instilled in them, not just the fact that mom and dad wants them to play.
One thing that my little league coaches, especially football, was good at was playing everybody without taking away from the competition of the sport. We had first, second, and third team offense and defense everyone got to play at least one series in the first half, then towards the end of the first half and second half, only the best played. If you wanted more playing time, then you worked your little butt off to get better.
lakelover Wrote:that is the problem a bunch of parents who are trying to relive their "glory days" through their kids at any cost. If the parents would let the coach be the coach their kid would either adjust or not play. The kids will play together and develop teamwork if the parents would stay out of the huddle, the kids adjust well and just enjoy their time playing a sport they play because they like it.

But in all fairness to every child, the playing field is not equal. The competition of the sport has been taken away by allowing every child "fair and guaranteed" playing time just because they are on the team. What happened to the days when if little johnny wanted a spot on the team he worked his butt off in practice and games to earn or keep the spot. Coaches are afraid to coach the game the way it should be coached for fear of parents coming out of the stands and demanding that their child play, even if they are not the right individual for the position!
the playing field is not equal, but in 5th grade a great player may still be timid or lack confidence, or maybe a lineman hasnt found his feet, or they just havent matured as fast, no playing time might discourage a potential, great player from going to the next level. And some of tour best players now might not even play in highschool
I think you should be able to work all kids in, maybe not in units but rotate on or two at a time
Winning is very important. If my teams do not produce wins or play competitively I am sure that our supt. will replace me with a coach that does win. I do not think that winning is the only thing that matters, we need to teach sportsmanship and love of the game but yes I do think that winning is very important. If our athletes do not have a winning mentality what will they play like in high school?
Coach Howard Wrote:Winning is very important. If my teams do not produce wins or play competitively I am sure that our supt. will replace me with a coach that does win. I do not think that winning is the only thing that matters, we need to teach sportsmanship and love of the game but yes I do think that winning is very important. If our athletes do not have a winning mentality what will they play like in high school?

I agree with coach howard. If we dont teach winning then why do we play games why not just play with in our own school an not other teams. Alot of teams have a winning tradition an it has to start at this level of play.
Absolutely right. That is a great post. We can still teach our kids, and it is not fair for the ones that does it right. The ones who do it wrong is the ones who ruin it for the kids.
My advice as a former 3rdand 4th grade coach is to rotate kids in 2or3 at a time. I usually rotated them in on defense. I realize we're always told defense wins games but at that age executing an offense is difficult. Unit rotations tend to sit kids up for failure.
common sense Wrote:My advice as a former 3rdand 4th grade coach is to rotate kids in 2or3 at a time. I usually rotated them in on defense. I realize we're always told defense wins games but at that age executing an offense is difficult. Unit rotations tend to sit kids up for failure.
That would be the best time to rotate players with a team this young.
common sense Wrote:My advice as a former 3rdand 4th grade coach is to rotate kids in 2or3 at a time. I usually rotated them in on defense. I realize we're always told defense wins games but at that age executing an offense is difficult. Unit rotations tend to sit kids up for failure.
My thoughts exactly. And if you rotate from the start of the game you can get everyone in several times and even though the less talented don't get to play as much it isn't as noticeable to them or anyone else if you are rotating throughout the game.

As someone above said this is also why I've stayed away from coaching anything.
I believe that teaching fundamentals and sportsmanship is top priority through elementary school. Once a kid gets in to middle school a lot of the "not so gifted athletes" have found other pursuits and it's time to start letting the cream rise to the top. Winning becomes more important (that's why we have scoreboards). All of the kids should still have an opportunity to perform though. By high school, winning is the priority and by that time, if kids were taught well in elementary and middle school, the sportsmanship is automatic. Playing time is earned in practice.
Teaching fundamentals is the biggest thing at that age(8th grade and below). But tobe honest the better kids normally play more. I agree with what Coach Howard said about winning. As a coach I reward try to reward my players with playing time depending on the situation.

Absolutely excellent post. This is what I have alwasy subscribed to. The 1st team 2nd team is bogus and works bad for all.
Glory days are involved with parents and their sons at this level often.
Jarons Wrote:These are the parents that have kept me out of coaching little league sports.

I know what you are saying. Every year there are always 2 or 3 parents that try to ruin it for everybody.
I have heard parents lie and try to get others to join them in some sort of destructive of the team.

It only hurts the kids of the parents.
MADJACK75 Wrote:how far should you go, what are you willing to sacrifice to walk off the field with a win. a 5th grade football coach was in a bad spot earlierthis week, he told his team if they showed up for practice, worked hard they would play. since practice started he had planned and practiced two offensive units to rotate drives. in their first game earlier this week, his team got the ball first, a couple first downs and the drive stalled, or it might have been a turnover, the other team took the ball and scored, second series coach elects to keep the first team back on the field, they hit paydirt off a great run. two more times hey got the ball first half. first team all half. at the half the score was tied. during halftime coach asked who hadnt played yet about five hands went up. after the d got them the ball back. with good field position, the first team came back on the field. with first and goal from the four they couldnt punch it in. the other team scored on the next drive on a run of at least 80 yards, on a play the d had praciced for and seen at least a dozen times the last practice. with six minutes left in the fourth coach had to make a decision, to be true to his word to his players or try to tie the game, HOW IMPORTANT IS WINNING, coach brought his second unit on the field, they were driving but one botched play and an offsides proved to be to much to overcome. they lost the game. what do you think coach should have done. some of the parents that usally meet coach at the gate and walk with him all the way to his car, shunned him and slurred him, but coach left the field with his integrity and his players trust what do you think

You play to win...Here in bold is where the coach messed up. If you have to bribe kids to come to practice, fold the team. A kid is supposed to show up to practice EVERYDAY to EARN a spot on the field, and his PARENTS should KNOW that is what is EXPECTED of EVERY KID on the FOOTBALL TEAM. The kids who show up to rpactice EVERYDAY and EARN their position have the right to be on the field as long as it takes to SECURE the WIN. Until that is done, those that haven't came to practice or EARNED a spot in the starting lineup should be on the sideline....period!!

Hint.....capatilized words are of utmost importance.
THE 8th MULE Wrote:the playing field is not equal, but in 5th grade a great player may still be timid or lack confidence, or maybe a lineman hasnt found his feet, or they just havent matured as fast, no playing time might discourage a potential, great player from going to the next level. And some of tour best players now might not even play in highschool

Then they should learn discipline, integrity, heart, work ethic, and all of the things that come with beating the man in front of you to earn a starting spot, instead of all this everybody should play crap.

THE 8TH MULE Wrote:I think you should be able to work all kids in, maybe not in units but rotate on or two at a time

You earn the spot in practice...see above.
you play your best,no excuses
:
Leonidas Wrote:You play to win...Here in bold is where the coach messed up. If you have to bribe kids to come to practice, fold the team. A kid is supposed to show up to practice EVERYDAY to EARN a spot on the field, and his PARENTS should KNOW that is what is EXPECTED of EVERY KID on the FOOTBALL TEAM. The kids who show up to rpactice EVERYDAY and EARN their position have the right to be on the field as long as it takes to SECURE the WIN. Until that is done, those that haven't came to practice or EARNED a spot in the starting lineup should be on the sideline....period!!

Hint.....capatilized words are of utmost importance.

You r exactly right kids should show up 2 practice no matter what
and u do play 2 win ...if u dont then u should not be playing football or
any other sports....
THE guy that said it dosent matter weather u WIN or LOSE probably lost....
...u play 2 win no matter what...:rockon:
WOW! Personally, I"ve coached something for about the last 15 years, some good years, some not so good, but , none bad, any time spent with these young people has been a positive in my life ! My personal opinion is throw 95 percent of the parents out and we'd have a much more pleasent environment, but , these folks bring the kids that makes us succesful as coaches , or unsuccesful in some cases , you can't win the kentucky derby without a great horse ! I'm a big component of playing time is earned not given ( I dispise the word spots ) nothing in life is a given (but, death and taxes ) if you have 20 young people working hard day in day out , play , all 20, but, playing time is earned not given, the pressure on coaches , even, at a younger level to win is unbeleivable, created by parents, supt., high school coaches, etc. , don't try to tell me different, you can be a good guy, teach fundamentals, and be a people pleaser, but, if you go 0-10 you're gone! I tip my hat to anyone who volunteers his or her time for the betterment of youmg people, let the players play, coaches coach and everyone else support what's going on in a positive way , I, personally tip my hat to this coach for being a man of his word. Set rules, and standards, and follow them, no exceptions, and you'll sleep better at night ! Keep them playing football , it's , the greatest team sport known to mankind !
pretty important!