Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: UC moves in to top 25
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There's more good news for the University of Cincinnati football program.

After picking up their first conference victory Monday at Rutgers, a 47-15 drubbing, the Bearcats climbed into the Top 25 in both the AP and USA Today Coaches polls.

The conference also announced that UC quarterback Tony Pike has been named the Big East Offensive Player of the Week.

The Bearcats, who were unranked in preseason polls, moved to No. 23 in both the AP and USA Today Coaches polls.

Cincinnati moved into the rankings with Miami and Missouri. Oregon, Florida State and Iowa fell out of the AP poll.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090...test+polls
I think a lot of voters wanted to put them into the preseason top 25, but how do you do that with a team that virtually replaced their entire defense. Pike could play himself into a 1st round pick. What an incredible story of perseverance, fifth string QB to one of the nations best.
They looked good. But Rutgers really looked bad. Is this a sign of things to come for UC, or are they just playing well against weak teams? Only time will tell.
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:They looked good. But Rutgers really looked bad. Is this a sign of things to come for UC, or are they just playing well against weak teams? Only time will tell.
They looked really good. That was the best 1st half of football I've seen so far and Rutgers wasn't supposed to be a cake wake game.
They may be the best football team in Cincinnati. That's including the Bengals. I don't know though, Cincinnati Elder may be the best team.
Warriors23RJ Wrote:They looked really good. That was the best 1st half of football I've seen so far and Rutgers wasn't supposed to be a cake wake game.
I know Rutgers has a good coach, and I was very impressed by UC...Loved the uniforms and helmets also...
Rutgers is no slouch. They returned their entire offensive line from last year and returned several key starters from last years' defense. In their last 9 games, Rutgers is 7-2....both losses are to UC.

UC is just that good this year. They have a new 3-4 defensive scheme that suits their personnel very well. UC has recruited kids that have versatility to play both sides of the ball which is why they didn't miss a beat defensively. They are simply replacing graduated players with their best athletes from other positions that aren't playing. Offensively, they are going to put a lot of points on the board with Pike running that spread offense and throwing to guys like Mardy Gilyard, DJ Woods, and Ben Guidugli. Out of the backfield they have two of the best Rb's in their conference in Jacob Ramsey and highly touted sophomore Isaiah Pead. Scary thing is, their best Rb, John Goeble, didn't even play against Rutgers.

As long as Brian Kelly is the coach, you are going to see UC as a regular in the top 25 national polls. Don't be surprised if they win the BEast again this year. Would have really liked to see a UC-UK matchup at Paul Brown rathern than UK-Miami.
Warriors23RJ Wrote:They looked really good. That was the best 1st half of football I've seen so far and Rutgers wasn't supposed to be a cake wake game.

Rutgers was the favored team going in.