Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Top PG in the SEC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Who is your pick for best PG coming this season...I know this will **** you all off but Im saying the man from the gamecocks Devan Downey
Card4life Wrote:Who is your pick for best PG coming this season...I know this will **** you all off but Im saying the man from the gamecocks Devan Downey

I say I will agree actually. He may not be the best athlete or the best future pro, but Downey was the best player in the conference last year and deserves to be recognized as such until another PG proves otherwise.
Pre season it has to be Downey, but by seasons end, it will definitely be Wall.
Hands down Downey, at least until Wall laces them up for his first game......
For now it will have to be Downey. Only because Wall hasnt stepped on the court yet.
Downey most certainly has the experience, but Wall is the better basketball player.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Downey most certainly has the experience, but Wall is the better basketball player.

Based on High School, yes. Don't get me wrong, I believe that Wall will be a great player, but I also thought OJ Mayo would be a great player. Hands down, the best HS player I have ever seen, and plenty have come through Riverfront Colleseum over the years, OJ hands down the best HS player I have ever witnssed was just never a motivated player in college, especailly knowing he was only there because he had to be there. Let's see if Wall maintains that intencity once December hits and he has already secured a lottery pick, just like Mayo shut it down until March, and then it was too late to pick it back up.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Downey most certainly has the experience, but Wall is the better basketball player.

I agree.
I am agreeing with everyone else, Doweny until Wall kicks it in.
Stardust Wrote:Based on High School, yes. Don't get me wrong, I believe that Wall will be a great player, but I also thought OJ Mayo would be a great player. Hands down, the best HS player I have ever seen, and plenty have come through Riverfront Colleseum over the years, OJ hands down the best HS player I have ever witnssed was just never a motivated player in college, especailly knowing he was only there because he had to be there. Let's see if Wall maintains that intencity once December hits and he has already secured a lottery pick, just like Mayo shut it down until March, and then it was too late to pick it back up.

I see your point, but I seen the way Calipari handled Derrick Rose. So I don't believe that Wall will slack off any at all.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I say I will agree actually. He may not be the best athlete or the best future pro, but Downey was the best player in the conference last year and deserves to be recognized as such until another PG proves otherwise.

Best Player In The Confrence Huh? Care To Explain
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Best Player In The Confrence Huh? Care To Explain

He was dominant, plain and simple. South Carolina wasn't expected to ammount to much of anything but they were the front runner in the SEC East for the majority of the season. Downey single handidly carried them in some of their biggest wins. He was a unanimous First Team selection.

As a UK fan it is hard to argue when he led USC to victories over the Wildcats in BOTH games, including a buzzer beater to win a key game at Rupp Arena. Jodie Meeks was a phenominal player, but he at least had Patrick Patterson to help ease some of his burden. Downey had NOONE to support him. Devan Downey simply was unstoppable and unguardable last year.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:He was dominant, plain and simple. South Carolina wasn't expected to ammount to much of anything but they were the front runner in the SEC East for the majority of the season. Downey single handidly carried them in some of their biggest wins. He was a unanimous First Team selection.

As a UK fan it is hard to argue when he led USC to victories over the Wildcats in BOTH games, including a buzzer beater to win a key game at Rupp Arena. Jodie Meeks was a phenominal player, but he at least had Patrick Patterson to help ease some of his burden. Downey had NOONE to support him. Devan Downey simply was unstoppable and unguardable last year.

Sure, but I also don't think he was the best player in the SEC last year.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Sure, but I also don't think he was the best player in the SEC last year.

That's why discussion boards are fun. Who would you say?

Marcus Thornton? He got POY but he also had Tasmin Mitchell, another SEC 1st teamer to help.

Jodie Meeks? Elite player but he had the help of Patterson, another SEC 1st teamer, and despite his stats it happened in the worst season in recent UK history.

Nick Calathes? Florida for all intensive purposes struggled last year and typically it was Calathes who cost the Gators key games.

Jarvis Vanardo? Definately the best defensive player in the league but he can only score on put backs and trash baskets.

Tyler Smith? IMO, the most overrated player in the league. He absolutely was nowhere to be found in several of their key games, let alone Tennessee started the season as the odds on favorite and really was a disappointment.

Downey was unmatched at his position and by far the most important player to his team's success, let alone the fact South carolina was about the only team who actually surpassed expectations in the SEC last season.
I'm going with everyone else. And saying...

Pre-Season: Devan Downey
Post-Season: Jon Wall
EKUAlum05 Wrote:He was dominant, plain and simple. South Carolina wasn't expected to ammount to much of anything but they were the front runner in the SEC East for the majority of the season. Downey single handidly carried them in some of their biggest wins. He was a unanimous First Team selection.

Yes But The Best Player In The SEC Had TO Be Marcus Thornton, Who Clearly Was Dominant By Himself,

And To Say That Downey Was Better Than Nick Calathes Or Marcus Thorton Is a Little BIt Of A Stretch DOnt YOu Think, And lets not forget jodie meeks, Smile
Best returning: Downey

Best incoming: Wall

Best by seasons end: I will go with Wall. Has size, quickness, leaping ability and will be hungry to be the first pick in the 2010 draft.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I see your point, but I seen the way Calipari handled Derrick Rose. So I don't believe that Wall will slack off any at all.

I'm hopeful
John Wall has the potential to be the best but the most proven right now is downey so until Wall proves he is better at the collegiate level I have to go with downey.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Best Player In The Confrence Huh? Care To Explain

who was then....Meeks scorted alot...but Downey beat Uk twice of I am not mistaking....Downey was an incredible player...and i am agreeing downey was the best PG in the SEC
Cat Scratch Fever Wrote:Best returning: Downey

Best incoming: Wall

Best by seasons end: I will go with Wall. Has size, quickness, leaping ability and will be hungry to be the first pick in the 2010 draft.

Has wall not said that he would be there for more than 1 year....Downey had no problem last year wht size....and quickness, downey is just as quick
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Yes But The Best Player In The SEC Had TO Be Marcus Thornton, Who Clearly Was Dominant By Himself,

And To Say That Downey Was Better Than Nick Calathes Or Marcus Thorton Is a Little BIt Of A Stretch DOnt YOu Think, And lets not forget jodie meeks, Smile

I believe thornton was dominant in his own game....but most exciting to watch was downey for me....and nick galathes was third in my book....
EKUAlum05 Wrote:That's why discussion boards are fun. Who would you say?

Marcus Thornton? He got POY but he also had Tasmin Mitchell, another SEC 1st teamer to help.

Jodie Meeks? Elite player but he had the help of Patterson, another SEC 1st teamer, and despite his stats it happened in the worst season in recent UK history.

Nick Calathes? Florida for all intensive purposes struggled last year and typically it was Calathes who cost the Gators key games.

Jarvis Vanardo? Definately the best defensive player in the league but he can only score on put backs and trash baskets.

Tyler Smith? IMO, the most overrated player in the league. He absolutely was nowhere to be found in several of their key games, let alone Tennessee started the season as the odds on favorite and really was a disappointment.

Downey was unmatched at his position and by far the most important player to his team's success, let alone the fact South carolina was about the only team who actually surpassed expectations in the SEC last season.

Great post
I am saying Downey until Wall proves me wrong.
theVILLE Wrote:who was then....Meeks scorted alot...but Downey beat Uk twice of I am not mistaking....Downey was an incredible player...and i am agreeing downey was the best PG in the SEC

I Never Said He Wasnt The Best Point Guard, I Said He Wasnt The Best PLayer, Its Very Close Between Him And Calathes(Cant Spell It)

theVILLE Wrote:I believe thornton was dominant in his own game....but most exciting to watch was downey for me....and nick galathes was third in my book....

Right Thornton Was Most Dominate At His Game Therfore Making Him The Best Player In The Sec, Downey Was Extremely Fun To Watch But That Doesnt Make Him The Best Player
theVILLE Wrote:Has wall not said that he would be there for more than 1 year....Downey had no problem last year wht size....and quickness, downey is just as quick

Downey is an outstanding player, I just believe that Wall will be better. Yes, I do recall John Wall saying that he planned on staying maybe two years but I think that he will go after this season, especially if he is projected to go first in the draft. As a UK fan I would love to see him stay for more than one season but I am not optimistic of that happening.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:I Never Said He Wasnt The Best Point Guard, I Said He Wasnt The Best PLayer, Its Very Close Between Him And Calathes(Cant Spell It)

Right Thornton Was Most Dominate At His Game Therfore Making Him The Best Player In The Sec, Downey Was Extremely Fun To Watch But That Doesnt Make Him The Best Player

was calathes not in the draft???
theVILLE Wrote:was calathes not in the draft???

Former Florida guard Nick Calathes ended up getting drafted after all. Thought as a first-rounder leading up to the draft, Calathes’ draft status was in question after he signed to play with Greek power Panathinaikos. Due to his oversees contract, Calathes slipped to the second round where he was selected 45th overall by the Minnesota Timberwolves (who seemed determined to take every player available listed as a point guard), but he was then traded to the Dallas Mavericks who now hold his rights. Calathes does have the option to opt out of his contract after the first year if he does wish to play in the NBA. Methinks he’ll eventually give the NBA a shot at the very least. Maybe playing elsewhere for a year will help him refine his game.
last year
best gaurd downey best player thornton
only reason uk got beat one of the times is cause SC shot like 74% from the field.