Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Top 50 UK Players of the Post-Probation Era
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
THE GREATEST:
1. Jamal Mashburn (3) — The consensus number one players by all who participated in the conversations. One might argue he is the most important player at UK in modern history. Its easy to forget how great he was, but along with Issel and Walker, the best to put on the uniform.
ALL-TIME LEGENDS:
2. Tony Delk (2) — We started getting differing opinions beginning here. Most agree that numbers 2-6 are very similar and a case can be made for them in varying orders. Delk goes second because he is #2 on the scoring list for this time and was the best scorer on the best team in UK history.
3. Keith Bogans (1) — The most underrated player in UK history, mostly because of his struggles his Junior year. But the facts are in Keith’s favor. The leading scorer in UK history during this period. The best player on the best REGULAR season SEC team since the SEC Tournament restarted in the early 80s. Plus, as Pratt pointed out to me, a very good defender who made others better…not just a scorer. Bogans fits in well here.
4. Tayshaun Prince (4) — Another great four year player. Last UK player to be named SEC Player of the Year. Tay put up a boatload of points and was unfortunate to have his Senior year be the Team Turmoil year. He and Bogans have almost identical careers, but Keith’s last team was great and Tay’s was not. Thus he goes here…but just barely.
5. Ron Mercer (22) — The first of the “what do we do about guys who left early” group. Only 22nd in scoring, but he only played for two years. His two seasons saw two national championship games and one can argue that his performance after Derek Anderson go hurt in 1997 was as good as anything seen at UK during this era. He is also the last player to be a consensus First Team All American at UK. A guy who rose on this list as the conversations went on.
6. Antoine Walker (35) — Another two year guy that initially I had a bit higher. But, he scored fewer points in his career than Mercer, wasnt a very good defender and never led his team in scoring. Still, when at his best, Antoine might have been better than anyone, including Mashburn, offensively. But when considering all-around game, he ends up here.

The rest of the list is odd considering perry stevenson made the list lol

http://new.kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=24582
Wildcatk23 Wrote:THE GREATEST:
1. Jamal Mashburn (3) — The consensus number one players by all who participated in the conversations. One might argue he is the most important player at UK in modern history. Its easy to forget how great he was, but along with Issel and Walker, the best to put on the uniform.
ALL-TIME LEGENDS:
2. Tony Delk (2) — We started getting differing opinions beginning here. Most agree that numbers 2-6 are very similar and a case can be made for them in varying orders. Delk goes second because he is #2 on the scoring list for this time and was the best scorer on the best team in UK history.
3. Keith Bogans (1) — The most underrated player in UK history, mostly because of his struggles his Junior year. But the facts are in Keith’s favor. The leading scorer in UK history during this period. The best player on the best REGULAR season SEC team since the SEC Tournament restarted in the early 80s. Plus, as Pratt pointed out to me, a very good defender who made others better…not just a scorer. Bogans fits in well here.
4. Tayshaun Prince (4) — Another great four year player. Last UK player to be named SEC Player of the Year. Tay put up a boatload of points and was unfortunate to have his Senior year be the Team Turmoil year. He and Bogans have almost identical careers, but Keith’s last team was great and Tay’s was not. Thus he goes here…but just barely.
5. Ron Mercer (22) — The first of the “what do we do about guys who left early” group. Only 22nd in scoring, but he only played for two years. His two seasons saw two national championship games and one can argue that his performance after Derek Anderson go hurt in 1997 was as good as anything seen at UK during this era. He is also the last player to be a consensus First Team All American at UK. A guy who rose on this list as the conversations went on.
6. Antoine Walker (35) — Another two year guy that initially I had a bit higher. But, he scored fewer points in his career than Mercer, wasnt a very good defender and never led his team in scoring. Still, when at his best, Antoine might have been better than anyone, including Mashburn, offensively. But when considering all-around game, he ends up here.

The rest of the list is odd considering perry stevenson made the list lol

http://new.kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=24582

Pretty interesting top 6. I am inclined to go with Mash at #1, but would like to look at this in a little more detail
the Link isnt working to the page atm i guess maybe the site is down or something
I like this. All these players were great.