Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Best College Mascots
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Monte, University of Montana - "Monte" was born in the mountains of Missoula in the Fall of 1991. The 2002-2003 Capital One National Champion Mascot of the Year has evolved into a motorcycle riding, break dancing, back flipping, slam dunking, movie making, crowd surfing, goal post smashing, prank pulling superstar that makes the women of Montana swoon.

Aubie, Auburn University - A popular character among Auburn fans, kids, and one of the most animated mascots in the country, Aubie has been on the job since 1979. Aubie’s began as a cartoon character that first appeared on the Auburn/Hardin-Simmons football program cover on October 3, 1959. In 1979, Aubie came to life at the Southeastern Conference basketball tournament. Aubie proudly marched into the Birmingham-Jefferson County Civic Center and helped lead first-year Auburn coach Sonny Smith’s team to upset wins of Vanderbilt and Georgia in the SEC basketball tournament.

Buzz, Georgia Tech - Buzz is the world-famous and beloved mascot of the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets. Buzz gets Tech fans cheering at nearly all the Institute's intercollegiate sporting events. Although Buzz's origins are rather ambiguous, it is known that Buzz showed up at a game sometime in the early 1980s as an unofficial cheerleader, and was soon adopted by the GT cheerleading squad. Today Buzz is a member of the cheerleading squad, and attends all Football Games, all Home basketball games for the Men's & Women's Team, several Volleyball & Baseball games, as well as pep rallies and appearances throughout Georgia. In Fall 2005 and 2006, Buzz was named to the Capital One All-American Mascot Teams and competed for the title of the Capital One Mascot of the Year. Buzz also competes in the Mascot National Competition in Daytona, FL each April. In 2006 he received 2nd place.

Sparty, Michigan State University - Sparty the Spartan is Michigan State University’s fearless and loveable mascot, a figure known throughout the state of Michigan and recognized across the nation as well. Sparty is the heart of Michigan State, forever supporting its teams, bringing smiles to young and old and continually uplifting all who meet him. Sparty is big and strong, and was judged “Buffest Mascot” by Muscle and Fitness Magazine. Sparty is a two time national champion mascot after competing at the Universal Cheer Association Nationals Competition.

Smokey, University of Tennessee - Named to the 2005 and 2006 Capital One All-America Mascot Team, and was awarded the back-to-back National Champion for UCA Mascots. Smokey also get extra points for being the best dancer.

Big Red, Western Kentucky University - The huge, furry lovable red creature was designed and built by WKU student Ralph Carey ('80) of Cincinnati, and made its debut during the Hilltoppers' 1979-80 basketball season. "Big Red" has become a big hit with fans of all ages throughout the state and the nation. The ultimate fan and supporter of all WKU's intercollegiate sports, "Big Red" won the "Key to the Spirit" award - the highest honor presented to team mascots at the time - at the Universal Cheerleading Association competition in 1980, 1981 and again in 1983.

Cocky, University of South Carolina - Cocky first took action in 1980 when he came in to take over his father (Big Spur's) place. Cocky soon won the hearts off all the Gamecock fans all over and now is one of the most recognizable figures to young and old at USC. Cocky has also captured national attention in the UCA (Universal Cheerleading Association) Mascot Competitions. In 1986, Cocky brought home his first UCA Mascot Championship. He continued his success in the competitions each year and rose to the very top a second time in 1994 bringing home his second Championship.

Hairy Dawg, University of Georgia - Hairy Dawg was conceived in 1980 when Tom Sapp showed sketches of a bulldog(Hairy Dawg) to head football coach Vince Dooley. Dooley loved it so much that he asked Sapp to have a costume rendition of the dog ready in three weeks for the Sugar Bowl. As legend has it, Hairy debuted in New Orleans against Notre Dame, helping the Bulldogs win their second national championship.

Herbie the Husker, University of Nebraska - Herbie the Husker first appeared on the cover of the 1974 summer football media guide, derived from a cartoon character of a Nebraska fan at the Cotton Bowl. In 2003 Herbie went through an extreme makeover. This once heavy husker is now fit and trim, and can be seen at games waving the UN flag or extending a helping hand in the community.

Big Al, University of Alabama - Big Al's debut as UA's mascot came at the 1979 Sugar Bowl, where the Crimson Tide turned back Penn State at the goal line to earn a 14-7 victory and a national championship. Today, the elephant is synonymous with the Crimson Tide and Big Al is one of the nation's most popular collegiate mascots.
Honestly I would rather have something like a Tiger, Wildcat, Warrior, Panther ect. I don't care for the "weird" mascots like the gamecocks or anything, because when I first see a mascot like that I just kind of roll my eyes and make a face.
true_blue221 Wrote:Honestly I would rather have something like a Tiger, Wildcat, Warrior, Panther ect. I don't care for the "weird" mascots like the gamecocks or anything, because when I first see a mascot like that I just kind of roll my eyes and make a face.

That's cool.

Lions, Tigers and Bears, Oh My - and boring. Everybody is a cat or an indian. Give me something that is quniqe and different. I don't like just Vanilla and Chocolate
Univ. of Santa Cruz Bananna Slugs

Now there is a unique mascot.
Amun-Ra Wrote:Univ. of Santa Cruz Bananna Slugs

Now there is a unique mascot.

LOL, what the heck is a bananna slug pray tell???
Still is a pretty cool mascot...
My all time favorite is Ole Smokey.
Stardust Wrote:LOL, what the heck is a bananna slug pray tell???

I'm guessing it's a type of slug?
I may be wrong though.
I'd say among your list, I like Big Red from Western Kentucky University the most. If you want to learn of a unique mascot, how about Williams University's Purple Cow?

Here's a picture of the purple cow. -> http://www.williams.edu/admission/images...ospect.jpg

I personally think the banana slug beat the purple cow, though.
Is he sitting on the "can"???? lol
I like USC's Trojan!!! Still my top vote goes to Old Smokey.
THE BlueDevils are always gonna be #1