Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Kentucky Middle School Football Association
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since someone moved our other post, I figured we could continue to discuss the benefit of having such a great organization available for the developement of our kids... I feel that the organization has the best intentions in mond as a group,, and unlike other groups there are representation from all over the state. Great to call when you have an issue,, great that they care about programs around the state and have safe guards in place that reduce the number of chances to have to play kids that are 2-3 years older in a game,,, we have all seen that.. " He is an eigth grader yes,,, but he is driving to school and parking in the admin spots and getting tickets!"
The KYMSFA is new and a change for alot of people,, and like change,, people sometimes are resisitant to it. From watching for a couple of years the program has done what it has promised to do,, it has brought school systems together into larger conferences and now give the kids something to play for at the middle school level. I applaud the efforts of the KYMSFA and the plan to are trying to produce... I can see others who wish to not compete and thats their choice,, but it is NICE to have a choice rather than not have a choice...... I still feel that this is the way of the future and that the KYMSFA will try to make it fair for all teams,,,,,,,,who want to compete at a higher level......
So once again I Applaud your efforts..........
Could the Mods not just delete the posts thatwere an issue? The original thread had contact information along with other important pieces of imformation that coaches would need if they wanted to join.

I do not personally need the information but it is a shame that information was removed along with the thread.
I agree, we had these same sort of issues when we started the state wrestling association, but over time we have managed to get things inline, and everyone on the same page. Now, I do think that with all the different teams and different conferences with in the state that it will be very difficult to get all the school teams for middle school into the association. I know in our case (NKY) that some of the schools in our conference are more about the development of the system as directed by the High School Teams than wins/losses. Teams still try to be as competitive as they can, but its more about development.

All in all I think its a great opportunity for those that choose to join to play other teams with in the state in a highly competitive manner.
I agree with programs who have the numbers to play inter-league, and we had that when we had the numbers.. We had 1200 kids in high school and we had enough to do teams,, but we also had a 2nd quarter rule that only the weeker kids got mandated playing time. 6 Minute quarters. now our schoo has 650 kids in the high school.. 420kids or so in 6-8th grade, less than 150 boys in the 7-8th grade and we now have a soccer team,swim team, golf team, cross counrty team, AAU sports and now fall baseball around the area,, MORE opportunities, with less kids.. Better selection for kids to find their sport.
History being correct in our area,, we lost alot of people due to Ashland Oil leaving, CSX downsizing and now Armco is shutting down again,, not knowing what the future holds,, stores are closing in our area and you get the picture.. ANYWAY to get back on topic here!!!!
I feel that if you have the numbers to play inter-league and can develope everykid that wants to play,, that is great,, and I know some school can do that....AWESOME for them... but when you start getting into 20 8th graders, -20 7th graders and 30 6th graders,, then you start looking at 15-17 kids on a team.. Makes it tough to practice when you have that many,,. Thats why I feel that the KYMSFA has the support of most schools who want to play on a level playing field,, playing kids that are the same age,, making sure that a kid is passing school,, and providing opportunities for those who want to face competition. So once again I applaud the KYMSFA for attempting to provide ground rules for schools to follow... YOu know we always hear about the KHSAA having no say in what happens in Middle School and that there should be some kind of regulation to make sure that schools play by the rules.... Well here they are!!!
Good Points! I agree if you have the numbers for inter-league then it can work. That is what Highlands does with its Middle School Teams, and it works well for them.

The number of kids a team has is a huge issue for us in NKY, our team 2 years ago had 75 kids 6-8, last year we only had 38.
I found this site when I was searching for information on middle school football leagues in Northern Kentucky. Does anyone know if Northern Kentucky is involved in a football league such as the "KYMSFA" mentioned in a posting above? I tried to google the KYMSFA and did not have any luck finding an official site.
The official site is http://www.kymiddleschoolfootball.com

There are over 65+ schools from across the state that are members of the KYMSFA.

The KYMSFA has provided many opportunities to programs across the state (both member and non-member schools have participated) including 7 on 7s, combines, the state playoffs (member schools only), and overall general direction and accountability for the sport.

We are actively seeking more members to participate. This year's playoffs will consist of up to 32 Division 1 teams and 16 Division 2 teams (determined by male population of each respective school). Also, there is a 16 team 7th grade playoff system as well.

For more information, please see the site or feel free to email me personally.
sportswife Wrote:I found this site when I was searching for information on middle school football leagues in Northern Kentucky. Does anyone know if Northern Kentucky is involved in a football league such as the "KYMSFA" mentioned in a posting above? I tried to google the KYMSFA and did not have any luck finding an official site.

Boone Co has a completely different league they play in. They do not have MS football.

Schools in Kenton, Campbell and a few other counties play in the Northern KY league which all you need to do is contact your childs MS.

FT Thomas has their own 4 team league.

There is another NKY football league that is a youth league for kids in Kenton and Campbell. This is the Erlanger Lions, Campbell Co Red Devils etc group.

None of these leagues take part in the KYMSFA.
Has anyone found out if the big sandy winner will be in the state tournament?
I believe the Big Sandy's playoffs will not be finished in time. Its a shame and I wished more confrences would get on board.
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:I agree with programs who have the numbers to play inter-league, and we had that when we had the numbers.. We had 1200 kids in high school and we had enough to do teams,, but we also had a 2nd quarter rule that only the weeker kids got mandated playing time. 6 Minute quarters. now our schoo has 650 kids in the high school.. 420kids or so in 6-8th grade, less than 150 boys in the 7-8th grade and we now have a soccer team,swim team, golf team, cross counrty team, AAU sports and now fall baseball around the area,, MORE opportunities, with less kids.. Better selection for kids to find their sport.
History being correct in our area,, we lost alot of people due to Ashland Oil leaving, CSX downsizing and now Armco is shutting down again,, not knowing what the future holds,, stores are closing in our area and you get the picture.. ANYWAY to get back on topic here!!!!
I feel that if you have the numbers to play inter-league and can develope everykid that wants to play,, that is great,, and I know some school can do that....AWESOME for them... but when you start getting into 20 8th graders, -20 7th graders and 30 6th graders,, then you start looking at 15-17 kids on a team.. Makes it tough to practice when you have that many,,. Thats why I feel that the KYMSFA has the support of most schools who want to play on a level playing field,, playing kids that are the same age,, making sure that a kid is passing school,, and providing opportunities for those who want to face competition. So once again I applaud the KYMSFA for attempting to provide ground rules for schools to follow... YOu know we always hear about the KHSAA having no say in what happens in Middle School and that there should be some kind of regulation to make sure that schools play by the rules.... Well here they are!!!
AM Steel (what many refer to as Armco) is NOT shutting down it's Ashland works.
barrel Wrote:Boone Co has a completely different league they play in. They do not have MS football.

Schools in Kenton, Campbell and a few other counties play in the Northern KY league which all you need to do is contact your childs MS.

FT Thomas has their own 4 team league.

There is another NKY football league that is a youth league for kids in Kenton and Campbell. This is the Erlanger Lions, Campbell Co Red Devils etc group.

None of these leagues take part in the KYMSFA.

Barrel is correct I do not believe that any of these leagues as a whole are affiliated with the state assocaition, but I do believe some of the teams individual in the Northern Kentucky Middle School Football Conference are in the association.
FBALL Wrote:AM Steel (what many refer to as Armco) is NOT shutting down it's Ashland works.

As you would know....... And I am glad to hear that, my reference was to parts of the plant that I have other friends who work there discuss. Apparent lay-offs at the end of the month.. Now granted there are many parts to AM Steel, so I must have mis-spoken and not been clear.
My point is that the economy is changing again and not looking up in our area... thats the point I was trying to make. BUT thnaks for clarifying for me and I appreciate it.
AK Steel

Typo. Still not used typing on the Iphone.

D the outage is off. The whole plant will continue to run but finishing is still shut down from the previous shutdown.
FBALL Wrote:AK Steel

Typo. Still not used typing on the Iphone.

D the outage is off. The whole plant will continue to run but finishing is still shut down from the previous shutdown.

Thats good to hear,, glad to hear that my friends will not be out of work.
Great idea, way past time and will be valuable for all programs who participate.
joedix1 Wrote:Great idea, way past time and will be valuable for all programs who participate.

Thanks. We think so too. Over 70 member schools (of all sizes) from all across the state have joined.
Does anybody know why they haven't updated the website recently? I know there are some conference re-alignments and several new programs. It would be nice to see the standings as well.
Great question on the website.

We had a small glitch that Digital Sports was able to correct for us within the last week. Teams are now able to post their scores and stats on there with no problem.

As for the site itself, we are still an all-volunteer effort with the KMSFA. Keep in mind that we all have our own teams to coach throughout the season. The main site will get updated periodically.

All Middle School coaches are encouraged to subscribe to the UK listserver for middle school. There are over 170 coaches on there already. It is used more for information exchange.

Thanks again for your interest. Always good to have conversations going about the KMSFA. Applications for teams wishing to participate for this season will close on September 1st.

For more information, please email me privately.
FF40212,

Thanks for the reply. I sent you a private message. In the message, I forgot to ask about how to access the UK listserver for middle school coaches? Thanks.
Has anyone talked to the conference to see if they are willing to change the big sandy tournament so the winner can play in the state tournament?