Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Russell JFL
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
The Russell JFL has voted to bring all the kids in 6th -8th grade back in to the JFL style of program and make 4 teams that will play each other instead of playing area schools at this level. All kids are encouraged to play and sign ups will be Saturday morning from 9am -12 noon. The next sign up will be Saturday the 18th from 9am-12 noon. Sign ups will be held at the high school on both days.
why dont they want them to play other schools
cuppett777 Wrote:why dont they want them to play other schools

Because playing in this format provides for more playing time for all of the kids who want to play football. It developes more kids and you have greater numbers and more depth when these kids get to high school instead of running some of them off before they have matured.

Russell never fielded a middle school team until 2002. The JFL is simply going back to a format that in the past has always proven to be successful in teaching kids how to play football and allowing them to learn and love the game.

The last group that went through the JFL in this format was the 2005 class.
Has anyone contacted the conferance, that Russell was in, and let them know that they won't be fielding a team this year. Has anyone offically contact the coach and let him and his asst. know.
pitchfork Wrote:Has anyone contacted the conferance, that Russell was in, and let them know that they won't be fielding a team this year. Has anyone offically contact the coach and let him and his asst. know.

Yes.
I mean someone from the school like the Principle, Asst Principle, A D , Site Base, League President the answer is NO they have not. It seems like he should be the first one to contact since he was the Head Coach. Not hearsay from disgruntled parents, nad players. He should be the first one asked. I'm sure that if Ivan was to loose his team that he would be the first to find out, or if Coach Morris, Smith, Jones, Locey and m any of others they would be the first to know. This is a bunch of bull and you know it to just appease a hand full of whining parents.
pitchfork Wrote:I mean someone from the school like the Principle, Asst Principle, A D , Site Base, League President the answer is NO they have not. It seems like he should be the first one to contact since he was the Head Coach. Not hearsay from disgruntled parents, nad players. He should be the first one asked. I'm sure that if Ivan was to loose his team that he would be the first to find out, or if Coach Morris, Smith, Jones, Locey and m any of others they would be the first to know. This is a bunch of bull and you know it to just appease a hand full of whining parents.

Sorry, but you are wrong.
FBALL, you are talking in recent years when you talk about Russell never fielding a middle school team aren't you?? Russell did field a middle school team in the mid-70's...Dave Collins was the coach...Not sure when that ended but we definitely had a school team...

I only brought that up to say that we did have a school team once upon a time...I don't have a dog in this fight but i do know we need to do something to reverse the downward cycle we are currently in...I know that you go through ups and downs and our #'s aren't what they once were but hopefully we will see a change on the horizon...The JFL format has worked in the past so its not like we are going into uncharted waters...Our best football teams in the last decade were a product of the system we are returning to so we will see what happens...
devil58 Wrote:FBALL, you are talking in recent years when you talk about Russell never fielding a middle school team aren't you?? Russell did field a middle school team in the mid-70's...Dave Collins was the coach...Not sure when that ended but we definitely had a school team...

I only brought that up to say that we did have a school team once upon a time...I don't have a dog in this fight but i do know we need to do something to reverse the downward cycle we are currently in...I know that you go through ups and downs and our #'s aren't what they once were but hopefully we will see a change on the horizon...The JFL format has worked in the past so its not like we are going into uncharted waters...Our best football teams in the last decade were a product of the system we are returning to so we will see what happens...

OK. The school system has not fielded a middle school team in over three decades.

As you noted this is not something radical . It is simply a return to something that has been very successful in the past. The JFL only went to middle school teams due to a desperate situation following the departure of Ashland Oil's coorperate offices from the area.

Anybody that is close to the football program at Russell can tell that the number of kids that stick with football all the way to the high school level has dropped. I don't think anyone would deny that.
pitchfork Wrote:I mean someone from the school like the Principle, Asst Principle, A D , Site Base, League President the answer is NO they have not. It seems like he should be the first one to contact since he was the Head Coach. Not hearsay from disgruntled parents, nad players. He should be the first one asked. I'm sure that if Ivan was to loose his team that he would be the first to find out, or if Coach Morris, Smith, Jones, Locey and m any of others they would be the first to know. This is a bunch of bull and you know it to just appease a hand full of whining parents.

And who would be whining. The board members or the thirty some parents watching their kids stand the sidelines watching the other 11 boys play. When we could have 4 teams and everybody plays and we can develop more players for each position.
devil58 Wrote:FBALL, you are talking in recent years when you talk about Russell never fielding a middle school team aren't you?? Russell did field a middle school team in the mid-70's...Dave Collins was the coach...Not sure when that ended but we definitely had a school team...

Would this be the same Dave Collins that coaches in Lewis Co?
Facts: The 1978 Russell State Champs were seventh graders when the Middle School first fielded a team and the 1977 runners up were eight graders.
They continued the program for some 5 yrs and went back to the JFL.
Then 9 -10 yrs ago the numbers were falling off and the 11- 13 yrs old were getting slimmer every year. It got down to 3 teams with about 14 - 15 players per team and then we started the 8th grade team about 6 - 7 yrs ago. They were not part of a conferance yet but was playing the area schools. This would be the class of 2005, again STATE Champs. About 5 yrs, after going to the school and asking there permission to represent the school and be named Russell Middle School to be in the conference to play for a title. This would be this years Senior class, I think, that they were first reconized as a Middle School team. But it seams that it was a very good success cause each State Champs and Runners up teams were a product of the Russell Middle school program. And the High school benifitted from it.
Ivan has never been a part of the JFL decision making until just the last few years. But it looks like a few has tickled his ear and with him and his staff not really knowing the whole story has let him make decisions for the league. All in all the Middle School program was a success cause the kids made it that way. Some of the kids realize to be on the football field they have to step there game up and break suction. The problem is that parents won't take off there maroon colored glasses and put a foot were it belongs. But would rather whine about the coaching and playing time. The kids want to play for the Middle School and the few sqeeky wheels won't let it happen. Mark it down the same ones that whine now will be whining when they get to high school. This may seam a little harsh but it is the fact.
The Russell JFL has never in the past let the parents or kids dictate the decisions of the league. They went by the By - Laws and the board, some times very distasteful, had to make the hard decision, even if it went against the select few of the JFL.
But the decision has been made, I will continue to support the JFL, and this arguement will come up again when down this group of parents gets out of the JFL and on to high school.
I would like to thank the Russell Middle School for there support in the past, and the coaches and there asst. for the time spent away from there families and to the progress to the football program.
And who is the one whining? Someone sounds like they didn't get their way and now want to cry and moan instead of be a part of the solution.

The 2005 class was the last class to go all the way through the JFL instead of playing on the middle school team. And yes they did win a state championship.

Ivan and his staff were notified about every move that had been made. Coach McGlone came to some of the meetings and told everyone at the very least the 7th and 8th graders needed seperate coaching staffs. Changes had to be made. Things were not good.

There will be another sign up day and physicals on Saturday the 18th. 9:00 AM - 12TongueM.

Yes that is the same Dave Collins that is now at Lewis County.
I believe this football season will be a great one. I like the 4 team JFL system for the 6th,7th, and 8th graders. One's from around here were brought up on it and it worked great. FBALL is correct when saying that the departure of Ashland Oil's coorperate offices really took a hit on all of us and that was the major reason for going to grades. Also the option of more Soccer leagues IMO didn't help matters either. With AKSteel getting hit hard right with loss of orders we could very well go back to graded teams and I am fine with that but I believe this is the best thing for our youth right now. I have friends that love the 4 added teams. I have friends that hate it also. I believe its just one of those situations where you just have to agree to disagree. I know I learned alot in my JFL years especially in the later years. The early years were blurry. I think I was chasing butterflies on the field, but I believe going back to the old ways will benifit us overall.
Why can't the school have an 8th grade team and the rest play JFL. They do the same in basketball, baseball, soccer, why can't football be on the same format. Have there own booster's and the school support it. Or even have try outs and take the best 18 and the rest play JFL. I'm sure the conferance that they were in has made it's schedule already. This appears to be a rushed decision: devilflam :devilflam :devilflam
pitchfork Wrote:Why can't the school have an 8th grade team and the rest play JFL. They do the same in basketball, baseball, soccer, why can't football be on the same format. Have there own booster's and the school support it. Or even have try outs and take the best 18 and the rest play JFL. I'm sure the conferance that they were in has made it's schedule already. This appears to be a rushed decision: devilflam :devilflam :devilflam

There was nothing wrong with the coference they were in. But it is impossible to have a seperate middle school team as well JFL at the same time. The numbers are there to have intraleague play but not both.

This is not something that was just rushed into. It has been debated ever since the JFL was forced to go away from this format. If the JFL is A feeder system for the high school program and develop as many players as possible then this is the best way to keep kids involved and provide more playing time for all of them IMO.

Some of these kids you know will be players but some have yet to develop either physically or mentally. These are the kids that we have been losing and many of them are good athletes that need a chance to learn the game. To me you just don't start weeding out kids in middle school. If you start pulling weeds to early you just might pull out a few flowers.
To me you just don't start weeding out kids in middle school. If you start pulling weeds too early you just might pull out a few flowers. I love that one FBALL. I am taking that all of us have played little league football. This is just my assumption since we all seem to be a little bit knowledgable about this situation. I bet there are tons of kids we have played against when we were younger that played awesomely in JFL. There were also a few that didnt develop until later years that became great High School players. I feel having the 4 expanded JFL teams will help in providing these kids with what they need. As concerned adults you have to think of the weakest players as well as your better players. It has been rumered that if your child is in 8th grade and above skill level or just a plain monster that he possibly would be moved up to Frosh Football, but that would just account for maybe 1 or 2 moving up. Also many of the kids I played with changed their position by time they reached High School. Your best linebackers,QBs,Running Backs and linemen(ok..maybe not linemen,,,if your big,your big and need to be there...lol) will be switching to fit the needs of the High School team so the 4 added teams will help in letting more kids develop in different areas. I am just rambling so I don't have to clean house and the wife thinks I am doing something important....LOL Lets just get the season started and crack some skulls. LOL
FBALL Wrote:To me you just don't start weeding out kids in middle school. If you start pulling weeds to early you just might pull out a few flowers.

Very good point.
I think its great but my brothers kids say they love playing agaisnt other schools(they go to raceland)
I hear Racelands numbers are up this coming year too. I have friends at church and they seem to think the numbers will continue to improve and help the program at Raceland in the future!!
I know the Raceland coaching staff would love to be able to do this. They do believe that they will have enough kids to field a seperate 7th & 8th team. That is great for them but I really couldn't care any less about another school or league and what they have to do. Sign ups and physicals for the Russell JFL are Saturday morning from 9-12 at Russell High School.
Hear that 7th & 8th grade kids want a middle school sign up day to play school ball. If they get 15 per class then what would the school do? Would this seperate them from the JFL and would the school look at having a school team? Funding this would be very little and the school would make money by playing all the games on Ivan McGlone field. Middle school draws a good croud.
Understand that no one from the school or the JFL has contacted the head coach yet. Anyone with clout behind them. So that being. What would keep them from having sign ups for the middle school. And NO he has not been contacted from any one with clout.
pitchfork Wrote:Hear that 7th & 8th grade kids want a middle school sign up day to play school ball. If they get 15 per class then what would the school do? Would this seperate them from the JFL and would the school look at having a school team? Funding this would be very little and the school would make money by playing all the games on Ivan McGlone field. Middle school draws a good croud.
Understand that no one from the school or the JFL has contacted the head coach yet. Anyone with clout behind them. So that being. What would keep them from having sign ups for the middle school. And NO he has not been contacted from any one with clout.

I don't really have a clue as to what you are talking about. Every coach in the JFL knows exactly what is going on. The school is also well informed and the high school coaching was informed and gave their input on the matter as well.
Pitchfork,
I could not agree more with you. You should run for President! If I were a betting man, and I am, I guarantee you, that the ones that made this happen did it for their own kids. Their own kids not getting enough playing time in the past and their kids not playing in the positions that they wanted them to play in, or thought they could or should. ESPECIALLY with this rule I heard about "THIS YEAR ONLY BRING BACK A COUPLE 14 year olds, what the heck is that!! Sounds like someone in power made their move, and their sons back in. Best part is, they have added a tag line like, More development!, HOG WASH, how can you develop an 8th grader playing against 6th graders, WHEW, when they go on to 9th grade, if they do, they will have a rude awakening. Playing against 6th and 7th graders for the past year sure won't help. Pitchfork, Good Luck! Like I said before, I dont have a dog in this fight either, but from what I have seen from the past three weeks the writing is on the wall. I am involved in a program that plays middle school ball and a very successful one at that, I am truly thankful!
Sports Junky Wrote:Pitchfork,
I could not agree more with you. You should run for President! If I were a betting man, and I am, I guarantee you, that the ones that made this happen did it for their own kids. Their own kids not getting enough playing time in the past and their kids not playing in the positions that they wanted them to play in, or thought they could or should. ESPECIALLY with this rule I heard about "THIS YEAR ONLY BRING BACK A COUPLE 14 year olds, what the heck is that!! Sounds like someone in power made their move, and their sons back in. Best part is, they have added a tag line like, More development!, HOG WASH, how can you develop an 8th grader playing against 6th graders, WHEW, when they go on to 9th grade, if they do, they will have a rude awakening. Playing against 6th and 7th graders for the past year sure won't help. Pitchfork, Good Luck! Like I said before, I dont have a dog in this fight either, but from what I have seen from the past three weeks the writing is on the wall. I am involved in a program that plays middle school ball and a very successful one at that, I am truly thankful!

I'm glad you are thankful. You don't know anything about this bit I am glad you are happy.

Let me fill you in on a couple of things though. The 8th graders will not be playing against many 6th graders. Maybe one or two but most 6th grade kids will play on B team and play their own game.

There are actually three kids that will be 14 before August 1st that are in 8th grade that are being allowed to choose between playing freshman and playing JFL. One of them only weighs about 85lbs. This is why it was brought up and it was voted on to give them their choice. I can see how terrible this is. None of these kids fathers brought up this matter. But it was voted on and passed unanimously. God forbid we use common sense and do what is right. Also that is something that is going to be looked at every year, not just this one.
By the way sign ups went very well. We thank you for your support.
To have an A and a B team, with 4 teams (from what I have seen from other posts), you would at least have to have 90-100, 6th, 7th and 8th graders to sign up. That is, so you could truly "develop" them. Have there been 100 sign up? That would be a lot more 6th, 7th, and 8th graders than we have in our system.
Sports Junky Wrote:To have an A and a B team, with 4 teams (from what I have seen from other posts), you would at least have to have 90-100, 6th, 7th and 8th graders to sign up. That is, so you could truly "develop" them. Have there been 100 sign up? That would be a lot more 6th, 7th, and 8th graders than we have in our system.

We expect to have that many. I believe there were 93 kids in that age group that played last season. There was also a survey taken at the end of the school year where over 100 kids signed a sheet that they were interested in playing football. I'm sorry your system doesn't have those kind of numbers.
That is great! I'm glad that you Should have the numbers. Just make sure that the "decision makers" for your league have all kids at heart. Not just the ones that need to develop, but the ones that need competition as well. You see, FBALL,
as Bill Gates said, "Competition is always a fantastic thing, and the computer industry is intensely competitive. Whether it's Google or Apple or free software, we've got some fantastic competitors and it keeps us on our toes."
and even Simon Cowell said,
"The object of this competition is not to be mean to the losers but to find a winner. The process makes you mean because you get frustrated. Kids turn up unrehearsed, wearing the wrong clothes, singing out of tune and you can either say, "Good job" and patronize them or tell them the truth, and sometimes the truth is perceived as mean.
As long as it is done correctly, there is a way to develop, coach, nurture and COMPETE! As long as the coach is good enough.
Sports Junky Wrote:That is great! I'm glad that you Should have the numbers. Just make sure that the "decision makers" for your league have all kids at heart. Not just the ones that need to develop, but the ones that need competition as well. You see, FBALL,
as Bill Gates said, "Competition is always a fantastic thing, and the computer industry is intensely competitive. Whether it's Google or Apple or free software, we've got some fantastic competitors and it keeps us on our toes."
and even Simon Cowell said,
"The object of this competition is not to be mean to the losers but to find a winner. The process makes you mean because you get frustrated. Kids turn up unrehearsed, wearing the wrong clothes, singing out of tune and you can either say, "Good job" and patronize them or tell them the truth, and sometimes the truth is perceived as mean.
As long as it is done correctly, there is a way to develop, coach, nurture and COMPETE! As long as the coach is good enough.

COMPETE is just what we expect them to do. I really don't understand all of this nonsense about this not being competetive.

But then again Bill Gates never played football and he did just fine.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9