Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Hartline says he's 'the guy'
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://www.kentucky.com/kentuckysports/f...52667.html

The summer buzz surrounding the Kentucky football camp has almost exclusively been directed at freshman quarterbacks Morgan Newton and Ryan Mossakowski.

The buzz is understandable. It's a rarity for Kentucky to welcome in two highly touted prep quarterbacks to one class.

But while Newton and Mossakowski are on campus getting acclimated to college, Mike Hartline is in the trenches trying to put his stamp on the 2009 team.

Hartline, a junior this fall, knows a lot of Kentucky fans are just counting the days until one of the freshmen takes control of the Wildcats' offense.

But he doesn't sound like someone who's ready to hand over the job.

"My goal is to get everybody to feel that I'm the guy," Hartline said. "I want it to be a situation where there's no doubt I should be the guy."

Hartline's tone and body language didn't suggest any cockiness or disrespect toward Newton or Mossakowski. He acknowledged the tremendous talent of both quarterbacks and admitted he wasn't totally satisfied with his performance in the spring
whoever is best for the team weather it be a freshman so be it..
I can say one thing. He better produce. He has players just waiting for him to make a mistake. He pulls another thing that he did Alabama he will not be the starter.
cougarpride08 Wrote:I can say one thing. He better produce. He has players just waiting for him to make a mistake. He pulls another thing that he did Alabama he will not be the starter.

Agreed
Hartline is the starter until he throws a bad ball and its picked. So we wont have to wait very long lol
I think Coach Brooks will not hesitate to bench him for a game or two.
Hartline might as well give up..lol
If Hartline starts I will laugh the laugh of a thousand jackals.
Yea Hartline you tell 'em, you're the...guy.
thetribe Wrote:Yea Hartline you tell 'em, you're the...guy.
Lol
Hartline is the guy.......who blames his teamates when HE isnt playing well. I cant wait for either one of the two freshmen or Will Fidler to beat him out so he can transfer.
Hartline starting would probably mean transfers from Morgan Newton or Ryan Mossakowski or even both. I'll tell you one thing, neither of them came to UK to take a back seat to Mike Hartline their first year.

I think the best thing to do is run a little combo with Newton and Mossakowski, sort of switch them out a little bit during drives at the first of the season to see what you get from who.

By looking at Newton, it seems like he is more a runner than a passer. He is the third best scrambler in the 2009 class on rivals.com. I think he could be great running the option, something UK doesn't normally do much.

Mossakowski is a pocket quarterback for sure. I think he will be the eventual starter this upcoming season and should have a fine career at UK.
Hartline would be a lot better quarterback if he would just throw the football downfield more often. He was scared all year of doing that. He finally got rid of that year in the bowl game against ECU.

The question is which Hartine will show up?
As long as cobb is not the qb
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Hartline starting would probably mean transfers from Morgan Newton or Ryan Mossakowski or even both. I'll tell you one thing, neither of them came to UK to take a back seat to Mike Hartline their first year.

I think the best thing to do is run a little combo with Newton and Mossakowski, sort of switch them out a little bit during drives at the first of the season to see what you get from who.

By looking at Newton, it seems like he is more a runner than a passer. He is the third best scrambler in the 2009 class on rivals.com. I think he could be great running the option, something UK doesn't normally do much.

Mossakowski is a pocket quarterback for sure. I think he will be the eventual starter this upcoming season and should have a fine career at UK.

Dead on, outdoorsman43.
If true, UK don't make a bowl game.
He really didnt look like 'the guy' last year.
everytime hartline entered the game, I gave up all possibilities of a win
cougarpride08 Wrote:I think Coach Brooks will not hesitate to bench him for a game or two.

Well i mean he let hartline start start to many games, and that was every game he started
I don't think we'll see too much of Hartline this year, but some of you are giving him too hard of a time.
Unbelievable.

You guys better hope Hartline is right. If you have to bank your season on a couple of true freshman QBs you are in for a looooooong season.
I dont have anything against Hartline, he just sucks and cant pass at all and especcially cant run, it better be Newton or we could be in bad shape bc idk if our defense can carry us again this year....
UkFan23 Wrote:I dont have anything against Hartline, he just sucks and cant pass at all and especcially cant run, it better be Newton or we could be in bad shape bc idk if our defense can carry us again this year....

Our best wins came with Hartline under center last year.
I would start Hartline (I'm prepared to receive any criticism, and I'm expecting a lot of it!). Seeing that he's a junior, he obviously has more experience than the two freshman. Hartline also only had 5 sacks the entire season. He did only pass for 151.5 yards per game, and he did have a 9:8 Touchdown-Interception ratio, but the fact is that this offseason, he had that desire to be the best quarterback on the team. Coach Brooks even said at SEC Media Day that he thought Hartline was going to have a breakout year like Woodson did when he went from his Sophomore to Junior year (with improved accuracy and more experience).
Deathstar 80 Wrote:I would start Hartline (I'm prepared to receive any criticism, and I'm expecting a lot of it!). Seeing that he's a junior, he obviously has more experience than the two freshman. Hartline also only had 5 sacks the entire season. He did only pass for 151.5 yards per game, and he did have a 9:8 Touchdown-Interception ratio, but the fact is that this offseason, he had that desire to be the best quarterback on the team. Coach Brooks even said at SEC Media Day that he thought Hartline was going to have a breakout year like Woodson did when he went from his Sophomore to Junior year (with improved accuracy and more experience).

Hartline Is Horrible, i dont see how he started as many games as he did, which the offense that kentucky runs doesnt give him much help, since we run the same plays every drive. also Woodson Played Behind of a great quarterback which didnt really let him show anything his Sophmore season
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Hartline Is Horrible, ... which the offense that kentucky runs doesnt give him much help, since we run the same plays every drive.

If the offense that Kentucky runs doesn't give him much help, then that could be the reason why he's so horrible.

Wildcatk23 Wrote:also Woodson Played Behind of a great quarterback which didnt really let him show anything his Sophmore season

Even though we didn't see him, Coach Brooks did (and he's the one who said Woodson was horrible his sophomore season and improved the next season).
Deathstar 80 Wrote:If the offense that Kentucky runs doesn't give him much help, then that could be the reason why he's so horrible.

Even though we didn't see him, Coach Brooks did (and he's the one who said Woodson was horrible his sophomore season and improved the next season).

The offense doesnt help but he was just horrible, we all know it, we all complained about it whenever football season was going on, the only thing fun to watch was are great defense which became tired ingames because they wa son the field so much do to hartlines turnovers, randall cobb was very exciting to watch play if i do recall though
You guys are crazy.

Hartline is our best option at quarterback right now. The freshman QB's have no experience. I'm sure they'll get their chance in fall practice, but IMO Hartline is the only way to go right now. Remember how many passes where dropped last season by receivers. Don't you all remember how bad Andre Woodson played his freshman & sophomore seasons? Hartline is going to be much improved this season, you all wait and see!

Remember we are KENTUCKY! We are coming off of our 3rd straight bowl game victory. That's something our football program has never done. You just don't go from a Heisman caliber quarterback (Woodson) to a inexperienced underclassmen and expect our offense to put up 35-40 points a game against SEC/D-1 competition. Remember we lost Woodson, Little, Burton, Johnson, and Tamme. Everyone that actually knows football knew that we weren't going to be atop the SEC. Most of you all should be happy with with our performance last season because UK overcome a lot with the graduation of the players above and the season ending injury of Dicky Lyons Jr.

We are going to have a better team this season than last, no doubt. But fans are going to have to get behind Mike Hartline because our players have and so has our coaching staff and I trust them.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:You guys are crazy.

Hartline is our best option at quarterback right now. The freshman QB's have no experience. I'm sure they'll get their chance in fall practice, but IMO Hartline is the only way to go right now. Remember how many passes where dropped last season by receivers. Don't you all remember how bad Andre Woodson played his freshman & sophomore seasons? Hartline is going to be much improved this season, you all wait and see!

Remember we are KENTUCKY! We are coming off of our 3rd straight bowl game victory. That's something our football program has never done. You just don't go from a Heisman caliber quarterback (Woodson) to a inexperienced underclassmen and expect our offense to put up 35-40 points a game against SEC/D-1 competition. Remember we lost Woodson, Little, Burton, Johnson, and Tamme. Everyone that actually knows football knew that we weren't going to be atop the SEC. Most of you all should be happy with with our performance last season because UK overcome a lot with the graduation of the players above and the season ending injury of Dicky Lyons Jr.

We are going to have a better team this season than last, no doubt. But fans are going to have to get behind Mike Hartline because our players have and so has our coaching staff and I trust them.

Great post!:Thumbs:
BlackcatAlum Wrote:You guys are crazy.

Its A Very Touchy a Encouraging Post But If Your Putting Your Faith In All These Incoming Basketball Freshmen Then Why Not Football Freshmen? Morgan Newton Is A 4 Star Recruit With The Number 6 Spot Among 09 Freshmen Quarterbacks
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Its A Very Touchy a Encouraging Post But If Your Putting Your Faith In All These Incoming Basketball Freshmen Then Why Not Football Freshmen? Morgan Newton Is A 4 Star Recruit With The Number 6 Spot Among 09 Freshmen Quarterbacks

Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen was the #1 quarterback a few years back by every recruiting website and what has he accomplished in his two years at ND? Also, basketball & football are totally different sports. Look at it this way, take the #1 football player coming out of high school and put him in the NFL. How do you think he would honestly do compared to the #1 basketball recruit in high school in the NBA? Big difference's huh?

We can be excited about having two of the better quarterback prospects from the '09 class on our roster, but they have a lot to learn before they'll get their shot against some of the best competition college football has to offer.
Pages: 1 2