Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Kentucky's Outside Shooting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
University of Kentucky has a lot of really good players, but it will be easy to defend against them. All of these great players score close to the basketball goal, so all you would have to do would put all of your players near the paint.

By the way, who's UK's best 3-point shooter? DeMarcus Cousins? (It's known that even though he's a center, he can shoot 3-pointers well)
Miller will have alot of the shots that Meeks got last year.
Even if they put defenders in the paint, these guys, especially John Wall, can make shots for themselves. He can drive and get himself to the free throw line. Or better yet, get the shot to go down and a foul. I'm not really worried about someone packing the middle down with players. With the talent we have, I think we will be able to make plays and score no matter what they throw at us.
Hood kid can shoot also!
Kentucky's best shooter this upcoming season will be Darnell Dodson. He will more than likely be starting at the 2 spot this upcoming season.

Other than Patterson, every other player on the team is a quality threat from behind the arc.
yep hood can shoot it from out there
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Kentucky's best shooter this upcoming season will be Darnell Dodson. He will more than likely be starting at the 2 spot this upcoming season.

Other than Patterson, every other player on the team is a quality threat from behind the arc.

:Thumbs:

Dodson is probably the teams best mid-range and outside shooter from what I have seen in videos and read from UK Assistant Orlando Antigua, who had recruited Dodson to Memphis and then to Kentucky.
Hood who is a great player and a great shooter...I think that he wil be good in a year or two...i think dodson is the biggest threat though
I think Miller will knock down some 3's this year.
I think that anyone can hit a open three...and with the dribble drive offense there will be alot of open looks
I think we are going to be okay. They can knock down the open shots. Its not like they can't shoot good. They just don't awe you with the deep ball.
Without Meeks, we do not have a solid outside shooter. We have guys who can shoot, but are not shooters. Theres a difference! Lot's of posts about Miller being an outside shooter. He can shoot from the outside, but he is not an outside shooter. Watching this kid in 5 years of varsity basketball at Mason County and and the D1 Grehounds AAU teams, I know his ablities. To think he will shoot at the % of Meeks is not a fair estimate.
ttt
Bledsoe is proving he can shoot.
6-12 from 3 point line for the season
Stardust Wrote:Without Meeks, we do not have a solid outside shooter. We have guys who can shoot, but are not shooters. Theres a difference! Lot's of posts about Miller being an outside shooter. He can shoot from the outside, but he is not an outside shooter. Watching this kid in 5 years of varsity basketball at Mason County and and the D1 Grehounds AAU teams, I know his ablities. To think he will shoot at the % of Meeks is not a fair estimate.

And last year we needed that, This year we don't. We have a great inside presence that we can go to. Wall and the guards can create for themselves. and if needed Bledsoe,Miller,Dodson, all can hit the trey. I'm more worried about are defense then us being able to shoot the 3 myself. theres not many people than can shoot like jodie meeks, I guess he kinda spoiled us.

Im not directing my post toward you. Just figured i would comment on the fact that not many people can shoot like meeks did his last season.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:And last year we needed that, This year we don't. We have a great inside presence that we can go to. Wall and the guards can create for themselves. and if needed Bledsoe,Miller,Dodson, all can hit the trey. I'm more worried about are defense then us being able to shoot the 3 myself. theres not many people than can shoot like jodie meeks, I guess he kinda spoiled us.

We have proved that we have an inside game against who? Miami? SHAM Houston State? Rider? We better be able to shoot the three against teams that can defend the interior.

PP was all that we had on the inside last year. Cousins is a great compliment to PP this year, but will be he play a game this year without foul trouble? Will Orton be able to play as well against UConn, UNC, LSU - all teams with big front lines, as well as he did today against a 6-5, 6-6, and 6-7 frontline for Rider????
Stardust Wrote:We have proved that we have an inside game against who? Miami? SHAM Houston State? Rider? We better be able to shoot the three against teams that can defend the interior.

PP was all that we had on the inside last year. Cousins is a great compliment to PP this year, but will be he play a game this year without foul trouble? Will Orton be able to play as well against UConn, UNC, LSU - all teams with big front lines, as well as he did today against a 6-5, 6-6, and 6-7 frontline for Rider????

Patterson always plays well against bigger contenders and he will continue to. Cousins is a beast when hes on the floor, If he can stay on the court look for us to have no problems on the inside. Who has UNC, Uconn, Or LSU proved they have had a great inside presence against? I'm sure are big man will do work against whoever they play. We dont need great shooters, Just guys that can hit the 3 occasionally.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Patterson always plays well against bigger contenders and he will continue to. Cousins is a beast when hes on the floor, If he can stay on the court look for us to have no problems on the inside. Who has UNC, Uconn, Or LSU proved they have had a great inside presence against? I'm sure are big man will do work against whoever they play. We dont need great shooters, Just guys that can hit the 3 occasionally.

All three of those teams have PROVEN inside games, UK has the unproven inside guys. PP is it. We shall see, and likely refer back to this thread again....
Stardust Wrote:All three of those teams have PROVEN inside games, UK has the unproven inside guys. PP is it. We shall see, and likely refer back to this thread again....

I'll Talk to you then, To be continued...........
Personally I think with the combo of players we do have it's going to be hard for teams to match up. Sure we got burnt on the threes. But I haven't seen any teams shoot like that since the cats of the nineties. And it's not goingto happen every nite. Our bigs are going to be fine. With the exp. of Patterson and the size of the other two we are going to be fine inside.the trick will be getting the two bullets to pump the brakes just enough to give evryone time to catch up so they don't run into traffic. But other than that I have no worries
cards_athlete Wrote:Even if they put defenders in the paint, these guys, especially John Wall, can make shots for themselves. He can drive and get himself to the free throw line. Or better yet, get the shot to go down and a foul. I'm not really worried about someone packing the middle down with players. With the talent we have, I think we will be able to make plays and score no matter what they throw at us.

I thinbk anyone who plays ZONE D will give tham a game
cougarpride08 Wrote:Hood kid can shoot also!

after ryder game, coach CAL said HOOD would be a player at KY,didnt know if it would be this year,but also said that HOOD was a ok shooter,not great,i hope he does well since he is from madisonville.......
Dodson and Bledsoe
Stardust Wrote:6-12 from 3 point line for the season
That's shooting 50%. I'll take that.