Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Elliot Williams leaves Duke
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
DURHAM, N.C. -- Elliot Williams, whose move into the starting lineup provided Duke with a late-season spark, is leaving the Blue Devils after one season because of unspecified family medical reasons.

School officials said Wednesday that Williams plans to transfer closer to his hometown of Memphis, Tenn., to be near family. He is expected to ask the NCAA to waive its transfer rule that would require him to sit out this season, Duke officials said in a statement.

"We fully support him in his efforts to be closer to [his family] during this trying time," coach Mike Krzyzewski said. "He is a good young man with an opportunity to become an outstanding player. We wish him well as he determines his future. He will always be a part of our program and we will always be in his corner."

Williams' late-season emergence was one of the reasons the Blue Devils won the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament and reached the regional semifinals of the NCAA tournament.

The high-energy guard spent most of his freshman season as a reserve. His late-February move into the starting lineup seemed to spark the Blue Devils; he started 11 of the team's final 12 games and Duke finished 10-2 during that stretch. He averaged 4.2 points and 2.3 rebounds.

His departure leaves senior Jon Scheyer and junior Nolan Smith as the only returning guards on the roster.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4283176
I guess he waited for Cal to leave now he wants to go to Memphis.....
So, he wants to go to Memphis?
I didn't know he wanted to go to Memphis.
I don't think that he wants to go to Memphis, he wants to move closer to his family, but I think that he's from Memphis and very well may end up at Memphis... However, I do think that Cal wants him at Kentucky with our 13th scholarship
Would be a nice addition!
I dont remember watching this kid play. Did Coach Cal recruit him before he signed with dUKe?
Coach Calipari did recruit him to Memphis, but he wanted to go away to school and now his mom becomes very sick... Coach Pastner at Memphis could very well be sitting pretty with this kid due to health issues with his mom
What are UK's chances that we could land him? Or would he even consider coming to UK?