Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: UK Passing Tournament - June 13th, 2009
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The University of Kentucky has closed registration for it's 2009 Middle School Football tournament to be held at their facilities on June 13th, 2009.

The following 20 schools will be competing -

Bloomfield
Bondurant
Bourbon County
Caldwell County
Clark
Edgewood (Indiana)
Frankfort
Fulton (Tennessee)
Gallatin County
Lexington Catholic
Lexington Christian
Lone Oak
Meece
Owensboro Catholic
Raceland
Scott County
Spencer County
St. Aloysius
Trotwood Madison (Ohio)
Whitley County

Come on out and watch an awesome day of competition. Games begin at 9:45AM!
Looks like a great list and a great competition.
I guarantee it will be!

Bondurant Middle and Trotwood (Ohio) have both dropped out.

Tates Creek Middle School out of Lexington has now joined.

We are looking for 1 more team to get us back to 20!

Anyone interested, please email me personally.
My nephew goes to Raceland he was talking about this the other day, hes so excited. Anyone know if players and coaches from uk will actually be there?
Yes, they will be there. That is one of the best parts!

It was awesome, and I"m not even a UK fan.

Could you imagine being a middle school football player and getting that kind of treatment? I will be honest, UK went out of their way to make it a special day for those boys last year (Raceland played in this last year). The kids that play for me still talk about how much fun they had.

UK opens up their whole facility and lets the kids tour through. Their players were in there working out, lifting, etc. and they chat it up with all the kids one on one. Coach Brooks, Coach Sanders, Coach Phillips, all those guys were milling around, talking with each team and their fans. It was very laid back and personal. All of our folks commented on how great all of UK's staff were to them.
FF40212 Wrote:Yes, they will be there. That is one of the best parts!

It was awesome, and I"m not even a UK fan.

Could you imagine being a middle school football player and getting that kind of treatment? I will be honest, UK went out of their way to make it a special day for those boys last year (Raceland played in this last year). The kids that play for me still talk about how much fun they had.

UK opens up their whole facility and lets the kids tour through. Their players were in there working out, lifting, etc. and they chat it up with all the kids one on one. Coach Brooks, Coach Sanders, Coach Phillips, all those guys were milling around, talking with each team and their fans. It was very laid back and personal. All of our folks commented on how great all of UK's staff were to them.

Thats great.
We are here!

Will try to post some results for you all tomorrow afternoon!
thanks can't wait.
Great time yesterday. This event has grown from I believe 12 last year to 20 this year.
olballcoach Wrote:Great time yesterday. This event has grown from I believe 12 last year to 20 this year.

Great day, lots of fun and some good looking young football players,watched some great games. If anyone knows who won the championship game between Meece and Gallitan County please post it. I had to leave after the semi finales when my team got beat. I was very impressed with Meece they worked well as a team,well coached and didn't make many mistakes. Scott County had a good looking team. Whitley looked good but ran out of gas,this group had only 1 practice together. The team from Knoxville had some great talent but the QB was average at best, would hate to play them in pads.
Congratulations to Meece Middle School from Somerset for winning yesterday. They were able to defeat Gallatin County in the final.

There was some outstanding football played yesterday. No other way to describe it.

Like I have said on here before, if your middle school coach won't take your team to this, you need to ask a serious "WHY NOT????" to him.

Big thank you to UK for offering this opportunity to players from across the state (and even 2 out of state teams).
FF40212 Wrote:Congratulations to Meece Middle School from Somerset for winning yesterday. They were able to defeat Gallatin County in the final.

There was some outstanding football played yesterday. No other way to describe it.

Like I have said on here before, if your middle school coach won't take your team to this, you need to ask a serious "WHY NOT????" to him.

Big thank you to UK for offering this opportunity to players from across the state (and even 2 out of state teams).

Meece has a very good team they never broke down in their coverages and played very solid with the ball. They deserved the win. Congratutions again to their coaches and players.
i wish belfry middle and high school would get in these things but they dont ever throw so i guess they wont,lol
If you only knew how many times we've heard that, cuppett!!!!

I will be honest, the biggest difference these 7 on 7s have made for us is in our defense (mainly) and QB play.

Our pass defense used to consist of us either getting lucky and intercepting the ball or us basically letting the other team catch it and then tackling them. Because of the work we get to do in 7 on 7s, we get to focus our coaching on specific skills. Our kids actually learn press coverage, jamming, zone defense, and how to defend against a receiver - and all at full speed. Our QBs learn to read defenses and recognize coverages.

If you think of the logic behind it, and if your team doesn't normally throw much, shouldn't that be even MORE reason to participate in these?

Don't take this as a slight. You have no idea how many times I have heard coaches (both middle school and high school) say those exact same words. I always shake my head. If you were at UK yesterday, or if you were lucky enough to have had a team there yesterday, you would certainly understand how grateful every single one of those young men who played was. It was definitely very cool.....
Thanks for the info, and maybe the cougars will be there next year.
Meece had a great run on Saturday. I thought after we played Scott Co. that they would come back and they made it to the Quarter Finals. Their coach came over and talked to our players before the championship telling them how well they worked together, real class act. Thank you coach.:Clap:
Shondue,

That was Coach McKee from Scott County High School. He is definitely a class act (BTW, Scott County is who beat my team to put us out). I have always admired the way he handles his kids and coaches. Just an all around great man.

Glad he took the time to talk with the Meece fellows. Excellent gesture, I agree.
Meece middle school was the best team in the 20 team field saturday. I watched them man handle a very talented Scott Co. team in their first game and noticed how much better they looked compared to when our Lexington Catholic team had beaten them twice the weekend before at Frankfort. We were unbeaten after 4 games at UK when we met them in the quarter finals, which included our 47-12 drubbing of a very good Galantin team in pool play. My hats off to their coach for making the adjustments on defence to shut our offense down and allowing us to score but 1 touchdown. In my opinion they had the best defensive game plan in the tourney. I do hope to play them again at the Western University tourney in July. Good job Meece!
I agree with a lot of what knighted just said. What really surprised me about Meece was that they didn't have a really overwhelming player on their team. They were truly that - a team. Granted, their #22 did a great job of going after the ball (high, low, short, in traffic, etc.) and he made some really great catches. Other than him, I say their biggest strength was their discipline on defense. They seemed to run a lot of zone, but I rarely saw them caught out of position. That is good coaching and players executing.

Other than that, I liked how their players (even the ones on the sidelines) were always in the game. They were focused and supporting of one another. That helps when you play that many games in one day.
This sounds like it was a great day of football. I wish our conference rules would allow us to play in 7 on 7's.
You bring up an issue that we have heard from time to time. There are a handful of conferences out there who won't allow any activity outside of the regular football season.

To me, the reason is that there has never been anything legitmately going on outside of football. Until now. Those conferences probably had good reasons for that rule, with the main one being that coaches would actually start practicing way too soon. I certainly respect that.

These events are meant to provide opportunities for teams to get their players out and about and get some early work in. It promotes competition, fundamentals, and they are offered in places that as a middle school coach most of us could only dream of.

I would suggest that at your conference meeting (most have them after the football season) each coach present the idea of adjusting this rule to allow participation. I think if it is presented with good logic it is something that most coaches will allow, even if they don't chose to participate themselves.
And here I thought we were the only ones. Are issue is that we are not allowed any team activites once school is out for the summer. We can start back up one week after the high school teams do. Are there any more of these planned this summer, Id like to come watch one and meet other coaches.
Middle School 7 on 7 to be held at Western Kentucky University on July 11th.
This will be the final KYMSFA sanctioned 7 on 7 of the summer.:thanks:
Again, my advice is to work within your conference to have that rule changed. I think most coaches would want this. It is a good thing for football in our state.

Also, Shondue is correct that on July 11th there will be a middle school 7 on 7 at WKU. This will be the last KYMSFA 7 on 7 for 2009.

For more information, please email me privately. If your team is interested, it is not too late to register.
Talked to Whitley Countys coach and they have scheduled a game with Fulton, the team from Tenn. They played each other in the U.K. 7 on 7 with Whitley winning in the last seconds. This is great, we can gauge our kids by playing good teams from other states. Fulton was the team that made contact first,their coach was impressed with Whitley and the 2 teams are about an hour from each other.
Very cool. Coach Jones from Knoxville seems to me to be a great fellow. We went down there for the "Battle Over Rockytop" Tournament they host every year. He was very accomodating and the competition was outstanding.

Whitley ought to get a good contest with that one!
Has anyone heard if the conference LCC Middle and New Harlan is in if they will rule on the changes?