Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Landon Slone out at Kentucky.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Saw this on catspause that Landon Slone will not be aloud to walk on again next year.Slone wanted a meeting with Calipari to discus this but Calipari would not.
devilhorns05 Wrote:Saw this on catspause that Landon Slone will not be aloud to walk on again next year.Slone wanted a meeting with Calipari to discus this but Calipari would not.

Here is a link....http://ukbasketball.bloginky.com/2009/05...r-from-uk/
Cal is a very busy man, it isn't like he wouldn't meet with Slone, he doesn't have time. Seems like this article was more of a shot at Calipari than about Landon leaving.
Slone plans to visit with Morehead St. sometime this week.
Morehead would be a good fit for him.
Wouldnt that be cool. We play Morehead ST this year. If they had Landon on the team, would be a cool game to watch.
Slone can't play at MSU. He needs to go to a NAIA division ll school if he want's to play basketball on the college level.
kyrifle Wrote:Slone can't play at MSU. He needs to go to a NAIA division ll school if he want's to play basketball on the college level.

Landon could most definitely earn some playing at MSU. I really think the Eagles would be a great fit for him. Slone may not be the most athletic player out there but the man can shoot, play defense, and has about as much heart as anyone he's playing with on the court.

I wish Landon the best of luck wherever he goes. He is a fine young man.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Landon could most definitely earn some playing at MSU. I really think the Eagles would be a great fit for him. Slone may not be the most athletic player out there but the man can shoot, play defense, and has about as much heart as anyone he's playing with on the court.

:Thumbs:
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Landon could most definitely earn some playing at MSU. I really think the Eagles would be a great fit for him. Slone may not be the most athletic player out there but the man can shoot, play defense, and has about as much heart as anyone he's playing with on the court.

Then tell me why Msu wasn't interested in him as a senior in high school. Donnie said he wasn't interested in anyone in the 57th district when Slone was a senior. Bill Mike tried to get a package deal with Slone, VanHoose and Bundy but Donnie said no.

Great post !!!!!!!!!!!!!
kyrifle Wrote:Then tell me why Msu wasn't interested in him as a senior in high school. Donnie said he wasn't interested in anyone in the 57th district when Slone was a senior. Bill Mike tried to get a package deal with Slone, VanHoose and Bundy but Donnie said no.

Well my friend, why was the University of Kentucky interested in him? Maybe because he can actually play basketball as I already said. You may not like Slone, but you cannot question his heart and effort. Scoring 8 points on two different occasions and playing somewhat frequently for the Kentucky Wildcats is something to be proud of. I don't know what you have against him.

As for the "package deal", where in the world did you hear that? I know people close to the Paintsville basketball program and not once did I hear anything of that nature.
Good Luck to Landon!!!
I wouldnt mind seeing Slone playing on Morehead this year. Slone has a huge heart and that alone will get you places in life, basketball related or not.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Well my friend, why was the University of Kentucky interested in him? Maybe because he can actually play basketball as I already said. You may not like Slone, but you cannot question his heart and effort. Scoring 8 points on two different occasions and playing somewhat frequently for the Kentucky Wildcats is something to be proud of. I don't know what you have against him.

As for the "package deal", where in the world did you hear that? I know people close to the Paintsville basketball program and not once did I hear anything of that nature.
Outdoorsman, I'm not particulatly trying to get into this debate, but just share a little FYI with you. There may not be anyone more "in the know" that posts on here than the rifleman. What he is saying may not be exactly what you are wanting to hear, but I can promise you that whatever he says is accurate.

Just thought I would give you the heads up.

BTW, he kinda knows people close to the Paintsville basketball program too.Confusedhh:
I hate to see him go but it's understandable why. Personally I think that I would sit on the bench in this upcoming season than start for MSU. Just my preference though. I don't know if it's up to Landon to even stay. It's awesome to see a kid from the area wearing the uniform but you do what you have to do. Calipari won't be giving him a scholarship but I think that he would be great to keep around as a walk-on. Best of luck to him wherever he goes.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Outdoorsman, I'm not particulatly trying to get into this debate, but just share a little FYI with you. There may not be anyone more "in the know" that posts on here than the rifleman. What he is saying may not be exactly what you are wanting to hear, but I can promise you that whatever he says is accurate.

Just thought I would give you the heads up.

BTW, he kinda knows people close to the Paintsville basketball program too.Confusedhh:

Well, that's fine. He may know what he is talking about. I'm just saying Landon could play at MSU and that I hadn't heard anything about a "package deal".

Thanks for the heads up though. You're always watching out for me. :biggrin:
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Well, that's fine. He may know what he is talking about. I'm just saying Landon could play at MSU and that I hadn't heard anything about a "package deal".

Thanks for the heads up though. You're always watching out for me. :biggrin:
Haha, I feel it's my duty to tuck you under my wing.:biggrin:
Calipari's response to people who are about to kill him over Landon being gone.

Via Twitter: Sorry to Landon Slone. Heard he waited to speak to me in my office but I didn't know. Really sorry. We are still trying to get organized!!
TheCandyManIsBack Wrote:Calipari's response to people who are about to kill him over Landon being gone.

Via Twitter: Sorry to Landon Slone. Heard he waited to speak to me in my office but I didn't know. Really sorry. We are still trying to get organized!!

In a way, I think that is a load of bull. Coach Cal should at least give his player 15 minutes of time talk about the situation. I know Cal has a very busy schedule, but I am somewhat disappointed that he didn't even meet with Landon.

Most of us can agree that Slone wasn't a great fit for this Cal lead Kentucky team. But, I don't think he was treated properly by Coach Calipari.
He's been here a month, is he really supposed to know these walk-ons that good that when they leave he gives them a 15 minute talk? I think some of us UK fans are getting ridiculous about this situation.
I don't know if Slone could play at Morehead.............DT likes athletes as much as Cal does.......Slone might have a hard time getting PT at a top NAIA school........
NEXT Wrote:I don't know if Slone could play at Morehead.............DT likes athletes as much as Cal does.......Slone might have a hard time getting PT at a top NAIA school........
If you remember Bill Mike was quoted by the media time and time again about how he was not getting offers from anyone.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:In a way, I think that is a load of bull. Coach Cal should at least give his player 15 minutes of time talk about the situation. I know Cal has a very busy schedule, but I am somewhat disappointed that he didn't even meet with Landon.

Most of us can agree that Slone wasn't a great fit for this Cal lead Kentucky team. But, I don't think he was treated properly by Coach Calipari.
That, I will agree with you on. If he had time to "twitter" a response, he had time to at least pick up the phone to say " Oh, by the way Landon............". Not exactly handled very professionaly .
TheCandyManIsBack Wrote:He's been here a month, is he really supposed to know these walk-ons that good that when they leave he gives them a 15 minute talk? I think some of us UK fans are getting ridiculous about this situation.

All I'm saying is that I'm sure he could have squeezed in a little time to wish Landon luck in person and so forth. It was a classy act to apologize publicly though.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:All I'm saying is that I'm sure he could have squeezed in a little time to wish Landon luck in person and so forth. It was a classy act to apologize publicly though.
Classy? It was probably more like trying to not make himself look so bad to the UK fan base. What would have been more classy would be to go ahead and give him his 5 minutes.
I heard from someone close to Landon as well, that he would be visiting Morehead State. But like someone mentioned above, they really like players that are extremely athletic.

I hope that Landon gets a good shot at a D-1 school.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Classy? It was probably more like trying to not make himself look so bad to the UK fan base. What would have been more classy would be to go ahead and give him his 5 minutes.

That may be a little closer.:biggrin:
Good luck to Landon wherever he may end up.
I have watched Landon play since he was in the 6th grade and there is no doubt he has the heart of a lion and wants to compete at a high level. I think the kid is a solid player and played well during his minutes in a Kentucky uniform. However, his minutes mostly came pre-SEC season and most can agree that the SEC was down this year. Slone had problems in games against bigger, quicker players even in high school. UK has gone from a subpar SEC team that bearly made the NIT to loaded with talent and becoming a major force in the NCAA and thus no room left on the bench. I do think Coach Cal could have handled that a little better. I hope he can make the MSU team and get minutes but I think MSU has also started to make a move up in their talent level and this years team not only made the NCAA tourny field but competed for a big part of the game so I think it will be tough for Slone there as well. I love to watch the kid play, he is a fine young man and hope nothing but the best for him no matter where he goes.
Pages: 1 2