Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Go easy on the Fundraising... please?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How many people out there feel as though their local squads are fundraising things into the ground? I have noticed that our community has been deluged by various squads and what seems to be endless knocks @ the door by countless squads trying to raise funds. Now do not get me wrong, I understand the need for fundraisinging since the schools behave as if cheerleaders are their red-headed step-children where $ is concerned... but I have also noticed cheer car washes, cheer begging @ red lights, cheer candle sales, cheer garbage bags, cheer doughnuts, cheer stadium seats,cheer umbrellas & blankets, cheer pizzas, cheer cookie dough, cheer knives, and on & on. I realize there's camp, camp clothes, uniforms, shoes, and a zillion other items needed and the cost is NEVER minimal, but for the love of all that's fair and decent, could we try to space this crap out a bit... it would be easier to adopt one of them... or take a 2nd mortgage...
We paid for our cheerleader and we sold when we were asked and paid the difference when we didn't meet quota, but a person has to ask... when is enough?
Surely the "girl's night out", "cheer clinics" and other types of fundraising like this would help people more!(there has to be plenty of 30-something parents out there begging for a place to put their kids on a Friday night so they can have dinner out!) With as many little girls seen out @ games and fundraising, there is a market for "cheer slumber parties", "cheer dances", and the aforementioned "night out" and "clinic".... Give those of us, who can't say "no" to these sweet little girls a break for a week or two. ~Thanks:Cheerlead
IISnakE Wrote:How many people out there feel as though their local squads are fundraising things into the ground? I have noticed that our community has been deluged by various squads and what seems to be endless knocks @ the door by countless squads trying to raise funds. Now do not get me wrong, I understand the need for fundraisinging since the schools behave as if cheerleaders are their red-headed step-children where $ is concerned... but I have also noticed cheer car washes, cheer begging @ red lights, cheer candle sales, cheer garbage bags, cheer doughnuts, cheer stadium seats,cheer umbrellas & blankets, cheer pizzas, cheer cookie dough, cheer knives, and on & on. I realize there's camp, camp clothes, uniforms, shoes, and a zillion other items needed and the cost is NEVER minimal, but for the love of all that's fair and decent, could we try to space this crap out a bit... it would be easier to adopt one of them... or take a 2nd mortgage...
We paid for our cheerleader and we sold when we were asked and paid the difference when we didn't meet quota, but a person has to ask... when is enough?
Surely the "girl's night out", "cheer clinics" and other types of fundraising like this would help people more!(there has to be plenty of 30-something parents out there begging for a place to put their kids on a Friday night so they can have dinner out!) With as many little girls seen out @ games and fundraising, there is a market for "cheer slumber parties", "cheer dances", and the aforementioned "night out" and "clinic".... Give those of us, who can't say "no" to these sweet little girls a break for a week or two. ~Thanks:Cheerlead

Cheering has got way to expensive.

No need for 8 uniforms, 5 pairs of shoes 37 hair bows etc.

4 unis, 2 pairs of shoes.

The extras is what gets you.
NEXT Wrote:Cheering has got way to expensive.

No need for 8 uniforms, 5 pairs of shoes 37 hair bows etc.

4 unis, 2 pairs of shoes.

The extras is what gets you.

I agree about the expense. I could almost agree with the uniform thing... In this day and age, folks can get uni's that can be mixed and matched... sticking with their school colors as well. I agree on the shoes... and will add... there is no excuse to see cheer leaders in dirty shoes. All of these expensive bows are just a waste as are cheer curls and hair pieces. Hand tied ribbons are still very pretty.

Now... if a squad has members, who are unable to make the camp costs and extra expenses, then fundraising is the option, if there are members, who do not need to fundraise and wish to pay their way, that's fine too... annnd if those, who can cover the costs want to fundraise to help the other members, that is really nice... I just can not see taking camp voyages for squads, who (a) are not able to cover costs w/o mega fund raising (b) do not have the talent to take in the first place © could get the same benefit closer to home @ camps.

If the squad wants to fund raise to cover competition fees, choreography fees, stunt coaching fees and the like, that's fine... but let me interject this one morsel for thought... IF THOSE SAME CHEER LEADERS ARE REPRESENTING THE SCHOOL SYSTEM AND ARE USED FOR THEIR TITLE 9 AUDITS AND ARE PRESSED TO CHEER FOR EVERY TOM **** AND HARRY WHO WHINES FOR CHEER LEADERS... BE IT FOOTBALL, BASKETBALL, SOCCER, VOLLEYBALL... STRAIGHT UP AND DOWN THE LINE, THEN BY GOLLY THE DOG-GONED SCHOOL SHOULD COVER UNIFORM EXPENSES FOR ALL OR AT LEAST A MATCHING TYPE DEAL!

And back to my main point, HEY PEOPLE, STOP HAVING ONE CONTINUOUS FUNDRAISER AFTER ANOTHER... SPACE IT OUT, SO WE, THE CONSUMER/SUPPORTER. CAN REPLENISH THE "CHEER SUPPORTER KITTY" SO WE CAN HELP YOU OUT!
IISnakE Wrote:I agree about the expense. I could almost agree with the uniform thing... In this day and age, folks can get uni's that can be mixed and matched... sticking with their school colors as well. I agree on the shoes... and will add... there is no excuse to see cheer leaders in dirty shoes. All of these expensive bows are just a waste as are cheer curls and hair pieces. Hand tied ribbons are still very pretty.

Now... if a squad has members, who are unable to make the camp costs and extra expenses, then fundraising is the option, if there are members, who do not need to fundraise and wish to pay their way, that's fine too... annnd if those, who can cover the costs want to fundraise to help the other members, that is really nice... I just can not see taking camp voyages for squads, who (a) are not able to cover costs w/o mega fund raising (b) do not have the talent to take in the first place © could get the same benefit closer to home @ camps.

If the squad wants to fund raise to cover competition fees, choreography fees, stunt coaching fees and the like, that's fine... but let me interject this one morsel for thought... IF THOSE SAME CHEER LEADERS ARE REPRESENTING THE SCHOOL SYSTEM AND ARE USED FOR THEIR TITLE 9 AUDITS AND ARE PRESSED TO CHEER FOR EVERY TOM **** AND HARRY WHO WHINES FOR CHEER LEADERS... BE IT FOOTBALL, BASKETBALL, SOCCER, VOLLEYBALL... STRAIGHT UP AND DOWN THE LINE, THEN BY GOLLY THE DOG-GONED SCHOOL SHOULD COVER UNIFORM EXPENSES FOR ALL OR AT LEAST A MATCHING TYPE DEAL!

And back to my main point, HEY PEOPLE, STOP HAVING ONE CONTINUOUS FUNDRAISER AFTER ANOTHER... SPACE IT OUT, SO WE, THE CONSUMER/SUPPORTER. CAN REPLENISH THE "CHEER SUPPORTER KITTY" SO WE CAN HELP YOU OUT!

Well, we all have to remember that cheerleading is very expensive in the first place, secondly very few schools pay for anything to do with cheerleading. Now with that being said, I know for a fact that our Varsity squad has had the same fundrasiers for several years now, and I have never heard anyone complaining until now. Seems kinda funny to me. We give each cheerleader opportunities to fundraise for everything they do. This is only fair to the parents and the girls.

Now about the camp voyages, these camps are no more expensive that those closer to home, but you do have to pay for the transportation, and I feel that they have abit more to offer at them. Also, Im sure you can remember IISnake, that some children never get a chance to go any where in state yet alone out of state. These so called voyages gives them the chance to see other parts of our country.

Our squad has 2 pairs of shoes one which is used the previous year for basketball and then a new pair, 4 hair bows, and quiet a few uniforms but none that are new, in fact we havent bought any in several years. Our funds are budgeted every year and we know what its going to take (money wise) from the beginning. I think that everyone probably wishes that everything their child did for school was free but wishing and 1.69 will get you a coke. So if you can give great if you can't give then don't.
watergirl.... am well aware of what the varsity does...

want to give when possible and help all... always have no matter who or what...

let's agree on this.... there's way more than one squad to support in our town and area for that matter..... this was not about your particular squad.... geeze... :yawn:
IISnakE Wrote:watergirl.... am well aware of what the varsity does...

want to give when possible and help all... always have no matter who or what...

let's agree on this.... there's way more than one squad to support in our town and area for that matter..... this was not about your particular squad.... geeze... :yawn:

I know that this is not about my particular squad but everyone else on here doesn't.
I just thought I would make it clear for anyone.
PHS Watergirl Wrote:I know that this is not about my particular squad but everyone else on here doesn't.
I just thought I would make it clear for anyone.

Holy Moly.....:eyeroll: