Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: UK Walk On's
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I curious as to the status of the UK walk on's. Can the walk on's transfer to another D-1 school and have eligibility immediately? Since they haven't signed anything to bind them to UK, it seems to me their eligibility would be immediate on transfer to another school. Just a question.
kyrifle Wrote: I curious as to the status of the UK walk on's. Can the walk on's transfer to another D-1 school and have eligibility immediately? Since they haven't signed anything to bind them to UK, it seems to me their eligibility would be immediate on transfer to another school. Just a question.
I'm pretty sure if you are on scholarship you have to sit out a year before playing at another D-1 college. I would actually think that walk-on's could go and do whatever they want because they have no ties to the University. I would also think if a player were cut from the team they could go to another school possibly without sitting out. It seems like the rules change from year to year and I feel like I'm a little behind on them.
how many walkon's do we have?
cougarpride08 Wrote:how many walkon's do we have?

There were 7 to start the year but one got canned leaving 6 walk on's.
Wildcat Blue Wrote:I'm pretty sure if you are on scholarship you have to sit out a year before playing at another D-1 college. I would actually think that walk-on's could go and do whatever they want because they have no ties to the University. I would also think if a player were cut from the team they could go to another school possibly without sitting out. It seems like the rules change from year to year and I feel like I'm a little behind on them.

Hunh? No ties to the school? If they were enrolled, they are tied directly to the school.

NCAA Rules dictate if you have played for a school and transfer to another, you must sit out a year - regardless of Scholarship status.
Stardust Wrote:Hunh? No ties to the school? If they were enrolled, they are tied directly to the school.

NCAA Rules dictate if you have played for a school and transfer to another, you must sit out a year - regardless of Scholarship status.

Where can I find this rule? I can't find anything concerning walk-on's and transfers with regard to eligibility.
kyrifle Wrote:Where can I find this rule? I can't find anything concerning walk-on's and transfers with regard to eligibility.
NCAA.ORG Go to eligibility and Recruiting

Enjoy reading...It's written by lawyers
FOX SPORTS Wrote:NCAA.ORG Go to eligibility and Recruiting

Thanks......
FOX SPORTS Wrote:NCAA.ORG Go to eligibility and Recruiting

lol that will be "REAL" fun to read....
kyrifle Wrote:Where can I find this rule? I can't find anything concerning walk-on's and transfers with regard to eligibility.

Do a general google search, that's how I found it. Not too hard.
Only walk on I would really like to see stay is Slone, the other no offense, can hit the road.
Mark Krebs is the only walk-on that has got any real amount of playing so far in the 3 of Coach Cal's practices. Slone has been on the side watching a lot and hasn't seen a fair amount of time, primarily because he doesn't fit in well with Cal's system. From comments that I have heard and read, Cal has basically said that only 10 players will play and the others will watch, that goes for games and practices. When the newbies arrive to camp this fall most likely the walk-ons will be cut from the team or welcomed to stay without any possible chance to play.
DALE Wrote:Mark Krebs is the only walk-on that has got any real amount of playing so far in the 3 of Coach Cal's practices. Slone has been on the side watching a lot and hasn't seen a fair amount of time, primarily because he doesn't fit in well with Cal's system. From comments that I have heard and read, Cal has basically said that only 10 players will play and the others will watch, that goes for games and practices. When the newbies arrive to camp this fall most likely the walk-ons will be cut from the team or welcomed to stay without any possible chance to play.

I read this this morning and I will echo you on this. I would love to see Landon Slone be a 4-year player for Kentucky, but I don't see him ever getting any real playing time under Calipari. It would be in his best interest IMO to transfer to a mid-major school and work his way up on that depth chart.

Mark Krebs don't have any legitiment chance either once all of UK's recruits arrive this fall. Like you said, Kentucky's current walk-ons have no shot at playing under Coach Cal and should find a smaller school that is better for them.
feel bad for them. Do have a question though. I thought we had a kid who sit out this year. Do that mean if he transferred he has to sit out another year?
cougarpride08 Wrote:feel bad for them. Do have a question though. I thought we had a kid who sit out this year. Do that mean if he transferred he has to sit out another year?

The player that sat out was Matt Pilgrim. If he transferred he would have to sit out another year. But, he is not transferring and will be productive this year for Kentucky.
that is good to know. Hate those kinds of rules.