Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Porter Makes Decision on Future
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just read it on Cats Pause, he is giving up his final year to enter the workforce.
I wish the young man all the best. For all the hate that he received, he lived up to being a true Cat by giving all that he had. He did not have the talent, but he sure had the heart.
Good luck to him on his future endeavors.
I wish him the best of luck with everything he does.
Wish the best of luck to him.
Good luck Porter.
I was just reading this as well. Best of luck to him.
I never was a big fan of Porter but he played his hardest every game. I'm sure he has a bright future outside of basketball tho.. good luck!!!
Well spoken..great post:Thumbs:
Stardust Wrote:I wish the young man all the best. For all the hate that he received, he lived up to being a true Cat by giving all that he had. He did not have the talent, but he sure had the heart.
Good luck Porter. Wish him and his family nothing but the best. Looks like we have another scholarship that we can give a player.
having a family sometimes overrides your dreams,wish him the best..
Stardust Wrote:I wish the young man all the best. For all the hate that he received, he lived up to being a true Cat by giving all that he had. He did not have the talent, but he sure had the heart.

Well Said. :Thumbs:
I may not have been the biggest Porter fan out there, but he did play as hard as he could for us, and he passed up a scholarship from USC football to play for us. I wish you well Porter.
Good luck porter
Will he get a degree?
allseasonfan Wrote:Will he get a degree?

Last I heard was that he earned his degree in 3 years which would mean that he will graduate in May. But I am not 100% shure though.
allseasonfan Wrote:Will he get a degree?

He was only a junior, so I don't know if he completed enough credit hours. I would imagine this well rounded young man will finish his education from his hometown.
Porter Makes Decision on Future

Conventional wisdom suggests Kentucky's roster may look entirely different by the time Big Blue Madness rolls around next October. With a new coaching staff, a recruiting class in flux and decisions on professional careers looming there is a great deal of uncertainty right now.

One player has apparently already made his decision just one week after John Calipari was hired as the Cats' new coach. The Cats' Pause has learned Michael Porter intends to give up his final season of eligibility to focus on personal matters, including the upcoming birth of his first child with wife, Bryana.

Porter came to the decision on his own and was not forced out by Calipari, who has a dribble drive style of offense that doesn't appear to be well suited for Porter's skill set. Barring any unexpected change of heart the junior intends on graduating this summer with a degree in Business-Finance and entering the work force.

UK basketball spokesperson DeWayne Peevy could not confirm or deny Porter's decision.

The junior point guard started all 36 of UK's games this season, averaging 4.1 points, 1.7 rebounds and 2.6 assists per game. He played 23.5 minutes per game and shot 33.0 percent from three-point range (32-of-97) while also producing 31 steals on the year.

Through little fault of his own Porter became a lightning rod for criticism from fans that preferred to see the more naturally gifted - but also more erratic - DeAndre Liggins and Kevin Galloway get the bulk of the minutes at point guard. Porter certainly not flashy but he played much better down the stretch, hitting 39 percent from long range over the Cats' final 13 games. He also had two or fewer turnovers in each of UK's final nine games.

Porter appeared in 90 games at UK, starting 45 of those under former coach Billy Gillispie. He totaled more assists than turnovers for his career and connected on 54 three-pointers over that span.
Good Luck!!
I just want to say thank you to Michael Porter for the three years he gave this program. He was nowhere near as talented as some of his teammates, but he poured his blood, sweat, and tears into his team.

In the end, hopefully Porter will be remembered for the heart he showed on the court, not for being the whipping boy for a frustrated fan base. I hope everyone realizes that he was recruited to UK as a shooter, not a point guard, yet was forced to play PG this past season out of necessity. He never should have played the point, much less be the starting PG, but that was something out of his control. The coach told him to play point, and he did it without question, even though it was obvious that he was not entirely comfortable there. I still say he would have been a fine backup shooting guard, and his senior leadership could have been as asset to next year's team.

Good luck Porter in all your future endeavors. You will be missed.
good luck to Porter and his family.
Good luck Porter....
I know how ya feel with the being married and in school situation
Very respectable decision
NIKE2010 Wrote:Last I heard was that he earned his degree in 3 years which would mean that he will graduate in May. But I am not 100% shure though.

That's what I heard as well.
Good for him, playing basketball at Kentucky and earning a degree in three years speaks for itself... I wish him the best in the future
Good Luck to Porter. I hope he enjoyed being a wildcat.
Good Luck Mike.
Stardust Wrote:He was only a junior, so I don't know if he completed enough credit hours. I would imagine this well rounded young man will finish his education from his hometown.
He had a Bachelors degree in business, I read somewhere. I wish him and his new family all the luck in the world.
Good luck you the young man, and his new family!
That is a man who is thinking about his family. Good Luck to a UK Alumni.
He always had the biggest heart when he stepped out on to the court everyday!