Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: UK's New Arena?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What is the word now on a new arena? I know Louisville will open soon, and I know that Calipari will have a say so in a new arena, but how long are we going to wait until we have a bigger arena?
What's it going to be named?
Whats the Lville arena going to be named?
don't know, but I heard they spent 40 million dollars on the place. theville should know.
cougarpride08 Wrote:What is the word now on a new arena? I know Louisville will open soon, and I know that Calipari will have a say so in a new arena, but how long are we going to wait until we have a bigger arena?

The contract between the University and the city runs to 2017. I wouldn't look for a new one until then. The new arena will seat about 24,000 just about 500 or more seats than Rupp, but will have box suites..
cougarpride08 Wrote:don't know, but I heard they spent 40 million dollars on the place. theville should know.

The $40 million you heard is just the price tag for the naming rights of the arena. The actual cost is around $238 million.
DeuceUL Wrote:The $40 million you heard is just the price tag for the naming rights of the arena. The actual cost is around $238 million.

238 million for a basketball areana! Th:lmao: :lmao: ats crazy!
wow. 238 million
Aslan Wrote:What's it going to be named?
Whats the Lville arena going to be named?

yeah of course I know...this the next place for the kittens to fall....lol
No really it is called the Louisville Waterfront Arena (unoffically named)
Here is a link..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisville_...ront_arena
It is part of the $252 million..22,000 seated arena to be finished in the Fall of 2010....:Thumbs:
Pond creek nation Wrote:238 million for a basketball areana! Th:lmao: :lmao: ats crazy!

Wow louisvilles new arena is $252 million.....I guess the extra 14 million of UKs went to the new coach...lol:biggrin:
I don't see the University building a new arena with only 500 more seats than Rupp, kinda defeats the purpose. I'd like to see about 32,000 seats, lower the ticket prices a little bit and make the student section a lot bigger because we might have the worst in the SEC.
i thought we were talking about UK's new arena? then y are we talking about Louisville's new arena? shouldnt there arena be under "Louisville's New Arena" instead of UK's new arena!
blackcat Wrote:I don't see the University building a new arena with only 500 more seats than Rupp, kinda defeats the purpose. I'd like to see about 32,000 seats, lower the ticket prices a little bit and make the student section a lot bigger because we might have the worst in the SEC.
yeah thats true but them extra 500 are luxury boxes that cost $1000 a pop and we both know they'll be gone.
blackcat Wrote:I don't see the University building a new arena with only 500 more seats than Rupp, kinda defeats the purpose. I'd like to see about 32,000 seats, lower the ticket prices a little bit and make the student section a lot bigger because we might have the worst in the SEC.

Thats whats been said in the Lexington Herald.. what will help, is to free up some of the lower level seats, seeing the big money boosters will be in boxes instead of floor seats.. so "real fans" get closer to the action, and make comin to kentucky to play tough again
the reason Louisville was brought up is we should have the best arena in the state, and the fact that Louisville's arena is going to be bigger than ours. This might cause us to loose things such as the sweet 16, and other venues that we might loose due to small seating.
cougarpride08 Wrote:the reason Louisville was brought up is we should have the best arena in the state, and the fact that Louisville's arena is going to be bigger than ours. This might cause us to loose things such as the sweet 16, and other venues that we might loose due to small seating.

Why?
For one, we're the state school, but if theVille is right about it seating 22,000, it won't be bigger than ours.

I'd love to see them build an arena that would seat 30,000+ and have around 5,000 student seats. I couldn't imagine what the atmosphere would be like.
blackcat Wrote:For one, we're the state school

That doesn't mean you're entitled to having the better arena...
DeuceUL Wrote:That doesn't mean you're entitled to having the better arena...

Yeah, but that's just my opinion. When U of L builds their new arena, it will only be a matter of time before Kentucky does.
DeuceUL Wrote:That doesn't mean you're entitled to having the better arena...

Well, besides the obviosness of us just flat out being the better school historically, we also have smart kids that play sports, unlike U of L's athletes ACT scores...haha

After we hired Calapari I was like well, I guess we'll be dominating them in Football AND Basketball now. haha...

That answer your question? Big Grin
I read not to long ago that UK wouldn't have a new arena built until 2015.
its got 22,000..not more than rupp
blackcat Wrote:For one, we're the state school, but if theVille is right about it seating 22,000, it won't be bigger than ours.

I'd love to see them build an arena that would seat 30,000+ and have around 5,000 student seats. I couldn't imagine what the atmosphere would be like.

Yeah Really...lol but I had a link for it too incase you havent read it...
Jshort5 Wrote:Well, besides the obviosness of us just flat out being the better school historically, we also have smart kids that play sports, unlike U of L's athletes ACT scores...haha

After we hired Calapari I was like well, I guess we'll be dominating them in Football AND Basketball now. haha...

That answer your question? Big Grin

Wow thats probaly what you said when Billy G came....lol...not happening...Tzhe cards dominate the cats
It will be finished by the time our contract with the rupp arena runs out. Heard they was going to turn rupp into a concert arena and other things. As to the question about why we should, I really think as the #1 wins, and the story history we should have a new arena. I just don't know how far they have gotten with the plans, and the bid to build.
Imsure we will have a great arena built to replace Rupp. Look at our practice facility and how nice it is, now just imagine what the new arena will be like.
it will just take time and patience.