Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: GJ Vilarino De-commits from UK
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
2009 point guard recruit GJ Vilarino has decommited from the Kentucky Wildcats, per Marc Maggard.

MM also thinks that UK has a very good chance to land John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, and Xavier Henry.
no big loss here IMO...Vilarino would turn into a liabilty it the back court just like Kentucky had this season and would not suite the "Dribble dribble Drive" style of offense that Coach Cal is going to implement.
Any word on Jon Hood? Looks like most of Gillispies recuits are decommiting. I hope Hood still comes to UK.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:2009 point guard recruit GJ Vilarino has decommited from the Kentucky Wildcats, per Marc Maggard.

MM also thinks that UK has a very good chance to land John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, and Xavier Henry.

wasnt he suppose to come here on a scholarship?

it would be nice to land all three of these guys and have orton come in
MVP2 Wrote:Any word on Jon Hood? Looks like most of Gillispies recuits are decommiting. I hope Hood still comes to UK.

There ya go...... http://www.kentucky.com/1034/story/745951.html
Im not upset with this at all. Ill take Henry, Hood, or Cousins over this kid anyday!
Although I suppose it's just semantics, Vilarino can't just "de-commit" from Kentucky, since he already signed his letter of intent. But if Calipari advised him to look elsewhere, I guess it's just a mere formality for UK to release him from the LOI.

Probably best for both parties.
I think this could be the best decison for the kid. Don't thnk he woulda fit well into Coach Cal's system. If BCG woulda stayed then he may have well seen the floor quite a bit.
More Cowbell Wrote:Although I suppose it's just semantics, Vilarino can't just "de-commit" from Kentucky, since he already signed his letter of intent. But if Calipari advised him to look elsewhere, I guess it's just a mere formality for UK to release him from the LOI.

Probably best for both parties.
From what I understand, if the coach that signs them leaves, they can withdraw their LOI.
Ta Ta GJ...Bring on WALL!
Good, I never thought he was UK worthy.
Were any of BCG recruits really UK matterial?
C.Clair Wrote:Were any of BCG recruits really UK matterial?

Besides Orton and Hood....No. JMO. I wish all of them luck though.
MVP2 Wrote:Besides Orton and Hood....No. JMO. I wish all of them luck though.

Is Hood really UK material? Or is he just the best the stated had to offer and it looks good when we recruit our Mr. Basketball? JMO, but Hood is not on the same talent level as the players we need to be bringing in, however he is probably better than some of the players we are stuck with right now.
C.Clair Wrote:Were any of BCG recruits really UK matterial?

Ferguson in next year's class is amazing
goBIGblue82 Wrote:Ferguson in next year's class is amazing

He is basically Tayshaun Prince.
TheRealVille Wrote:From what I understand, if the coach that signs them leaves, they can withdraw their LOI.

No, it's not a given that a recruit can withdraw his LOI. The school reserves the right to release the player or not, although they almost always do.

The whole LOI system is a disadvantage to the recruits, which is why this issue was mentioned in regards to Calipari's Memphis recruits, specifically Xavier Henry. As has been widely reported, Henry's LOI contained a special clause that allowed him to withdraw the letter if Calipari left. Without this clause present in a LOI, the university holds all the cards.