Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: What if?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What if the UK boosters and fan base hadn't run off Tubby Smith.

I was thinking while watching the Louisville/Michigan State game.

Draymond Green was committed to be a Wildcat under Coach Smith. Put him with Patrick Patterson and Jodie Meeks. Derrick Jasper would still be here playing point gaurd and UK may have had Jai Lucas or Willie Warren as well.

Just a thought.
I would have love to seen Tubby still as UK's coach.
OLDHOSS Wrote:I would have love to seen Tubby still as UK's coach.

Amen to that
Wow Some Tubby Lovers Here....he Is The Reason Uk Is Where They Are Now.....pitino Left Him With A Dream Team And What Happend He Won A National Championship And Oh Yeah No More.....yeah I Wished He Was Here Too....lol.....
Green would have helped UK tremendously this season. He knows his role, and does it well. He sets good solid screens, rebounds, and controls the paint. Green could have took a huge load off Patterson this season.
Quote:What if the UK boosters and fan base hadn't run off Tubby Smith.

Tubby left on his own and im actually glad he's gone. his last season at UK he knowed he was gonna leave thats why he didnt try coaching very hard like he had been, as soon as the season ended, the very next day he was on Minnesota's door steps.
theVILLE Wrote:Wow Some Tubby Lovers Here....he Is The Reason Uk Is Where They Are Now.....pitino Left Him With A Dream Team And What Happend He Won A National Championship And Oh Yeah No More.....yeah I Wished He Was Here Too....lol.....

Im actually going to agree with you on this one.
theVILLE Wrote:Wow Some Tubby Lovers Here....he Is The Reason Uk Is Where They Are Now.....pitino Left Him With A Dream Team And What Happend He Won A National Championship And Oh Yeah No More.....yeah I Wished He Was Here Too....lol.....

You should probably stick to Louisville.

Put Green and Jasper on this team with Patterson and Meeks. Have Tubby at the helm the last couple of years to provide a much more stable environment and UK may still be playing.

Maybe UK can get Izzo.
Strikeout King Wrote:Tubby left on his own and im actually glad he's gone. his last season at UK he knowed he was gonna leave thats why he didnt try coaching very hard like he had been, as soon as the season ended, the very next day he was on Minnesota's door steps.

Tubby was run out of town on a rail because a good portion of the UK fan base is a bunch of ignorant crybabies with delusions of grandeur and a false sense of entitlement.
FBALL Wrote:What if the UK boosters and fan base hadn't run off Tubby Smith.

I was thinking while watching the Louisville/Michigan State game.

Draymond Green was committed to be a Wildcat under Coach Smith. Put him with Patrick Patterson and Jodie Meeks. Derrick Jasper would still be here playing point gaurd and UK may have had Jai Lucas or Willie Warren as well.

Just a thought.

The one critical thaw in your thinking though is that if you want to hypothetically throw Lucas, Green, and Warren in there. You must also look at the negative hypothetical as well.

Yes, there is a possibility UK could have all these pieces (though I doubt we would have gotten Warren with Green, Jasper, and Lucas all here) and to answer that we would be a definiteSweet 16 team with a legit shot at the Final 4.

But...

We could have very well lost Lucas and Patterson (it was BCG's recruitment that swayed Pat-Pat away from Florida, and Lucas was very high on UF throughout). Green and Warren were tossups as well. Not to mention that even though UK has been one of the front runners for Darius Miller since he was a Soph at Mason County, it was when Webster was hired as an asisstant that made him pull the trigger.

So we easily could have also had a lineup of Jasper, Meeks, Harris, Stevenson, and God knows who would be the Center. A lineup that would have struggled to finish .500

So we couldhave just as easily had a lineup with Jasper, Meeks, Miller/Harris
FWIW, My guess is if Tubby stayed it would all fall somewhere in the middle ground of FBALL's hypothetical and mine.

I think we would have been in the tournament as probably a 7 or 8 seed (the SEC as a whole would have lowered our seed drasically this year) and made a second round exit. An improvement over what BCG accomplished, but mediocrity at it's finest.
FBALL Wrote:Tubby was run out of town on a rail because a good portion of the UK fan base is a bunch of ignorant crybabies with delusions of grandeur and a false sense of entitlement.

:yawn: Or put another way, they insist on excellence. Tubby left on his own, and he is better suited for a school that thinks making the tournament and losing in the first round equals success...
If Tubby was still here I think it would look like this-

In Billys first year-Tubby would have won at least 23-25 games and made an 2nd round exit of the tournament maybe a sweet 16.

In Billys final year-Tubby would have won again 23-25 games like always made the tournament losing in the 2nd round or sweet 16 again.

Overall sure we could have kept Tubby for those two more years but I think the fanbase would have drivin him into a 6foothole by then. Really I thought it was a good move for Tubby to part ways.

Well you got this one right Tubby was done here it was a good move for Tubby and his familey.
If Tubby would have stayed we still would have hit rock bottom w/ him or w/out him. IMO this year was rock bottom from the shape he left this program in.
courtdog Wrote:Your crazy dude Tubby was washed up at UK Patterson would have never signed if Tubby stayed and Jasper was a puss.

:dontthink Crazy????? Im just saying that that is most likely what it would have looked like if Tubby would have stayed and we still signed Patterson. Did you read the end of the post I said it was good for Tubby to leave. Read the entire post before you go crazy:lmao:
EKUAlum05 Wrote:The one critical thaw in your thinking though is that if you want to hypothetically throw Lucas, Green, and Warren in there. You must also look at the negative hypothetical as well.

Yes, there is a possibility UK could have all these pieces (though I doubt we would have gotten Warren with Green, Jasper, and Lucas all here) and to answer that we would be a definiteSweet 16 team with a legit shot at the Final 4.

But...

We could have very well lost Lucas and Patterson (it was BCG's recruitment that swayed Pat-Pat away from Florida, and Lucas was very high on UF throughout). Green and Warren were tossups as well. Not to mention that even though UK has been one of the front runners for Darius Miller since he was a Soph at Mason County, it was when Webster was hired as an asisstant that made him pull the trigger.

So we easily could have also had a lineup of Jasper, Meeks, Harris, Stevenson, and God knows who would be the Center. A lineup that would have struggled to finish .500

So we couldhave just as easily had a lineup with Jasper, Meeks, Miller/Harris

Oh it was purely hypothetical. But Green had verbally committed to UK before Tubby left I believe. Patterson would have signed as well. The big ifs were Warren and Lucas.

I will stick with just adding Green to this group and it is a big improvement on the inside.
FWIW, I checked and Green did in fact commit his Junior season when Tubby was the head coach.
Patterson would not have been a Cat had Tubby stayed, so no we still wouldnt have been in the NCAA.
What IF frogs had wings? Who cares. I'm glad that Tubby is gone. Oh Yeah we dont want IZZO either. We want fast paced, in you face, high scoring offense, intense defense basketball.