Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: WEHT Reporting Izzo as UK's Top Candidate
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
NEWS 25 Sports has learned Michigan State head coach Tom Izzo is the top choice to replace Billy Gillispie as UK head coach.

Sources in Lexington told News 25 late Friday night that Izzo is the target of Kentucky Athletic Director Mitch Barnhart. Those sources also told NEWS 25 Sports Izzo's representatives have said if Izzo is offered the UK job, Izzo would accept.

Izzo has been at Michigan State since 1995 and has taken the Spartans to four Final Fours, including the 2000 National Championship.

http://www.weht.com/dsp_story.cfm?storyi...imeout=500
This is very interesting, I can live with Izzo as the head coach at UK. It seems like his teams are always in the elite eight and final four.

I don't think that he can turn the program around as quickly as Calipari, but I would be satisfied with Izzo.
He would be a solid hire for us. He is proven. A great resume, and seems to be a great individual. Thanks for sharing that info.
Sources also said that Donovan would resign yesterday from Florida and take the same position at Kentucky. We all know how that went.

If Izzo would accept, this coaching thing wouldn't be solved until after the NCAA tournament is over. Would Izzo even speak to Barnhart while his Spartans are still playing?

If he is hired, I would be perfectly content with it.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:This is very interesting, I can live with Izzo as the head coach at UK. It seems like his teams are always in the elite eight and final four.

I don't think that he can turn the program around as quickly as Calipari, but I would be satisfied with Izzo.

And you know Izzo would run a clean program. I am not saying that Cal wouldn't either, but Cal does have a little dirty laundry(not his fault from what I have heard, AGENT?) back at Umass. I would be very happy with either coach.
Well Michigan St. will prlly be getting beat out tomorow anyways so maybe he will start 2 talk with us after that hopefully...I wouldn't mind having Izzo he is a good recruiter and just like someone said wat ago he always has his teams in the elite 8 and final four...
Izzo would be just fine with me. He is a good recruiter but if he comes to UK, its my opinion that he will become one of the best in the nation. No disrespect to MSU, but he cant get any top notch recruits there and with his style of play and his rep as a recruiter, plus being at UK, he would have his pick of recruits. We would be the USC of college basketball.
Those that are singing his praises on here right now, might not do so if he gets the job. He would be an excellent hire, but he DOES NOT play that full throttle, high octane type of offense that UK did under Pitino. That seems to be the big knock on the others that followed Pitino. How long would before the Big Blue faithful start the critcism on that?
torQQue Wrote:He would be a solid hire for us. He is proven. A great resume, and seems to be a great individual. Thanks for sharing that info.

I agree.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Those that are singing his praises on here right now, might not do so if he gets the job. He would be an excellent hire, but he DOES NOT play that full throttle, high octane type of offense that UK did under Pitino. That seems to be the big knock on the others that followed Pitino. How long would before the Big Blue faithful start the critcism on that?

That's an excellent point.

I'm happy as long as we are beating the teams we are supposed to, winning the SEC every other year, and atleast getting to the sweet 16 or elite eight year in and year out.
He isn't my top choice, but I would be happy if we got him. Izzo always does well in recuriting and I think he would do great if at UK. I am not going to get excited until I see just who we have for sure. It appears to me and this is just my thoughts that it looks like UK is going after a proven name this time which I think is a good thing.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Those that are singing his praises on here right now, might not do so if he gets the job. He would be an excellent hire, but he DOES NOT play that full throttle, high octane type of offense that UK did under Pitino. That seems to be the big knock on the others that followed Pitino. How long would before the Big Blue faithful start the critcism on that?

Very true.
:eyerollBig Grinoes anyone remember Izzo is known as a coach who can't win the Big game?
FOX SPORTS Wrote:Does anyone remember Izzo is known as a coach who can't win the Big game?

Sarcasm?

He did win the NCAA Championship in 2000. Wink
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Sarcasm?

He did win the NCAA Championship in 2000. Wink
Yeah....a little sarcasm
As long as he is winning I think the natives will be happy.

He is a white Tubby Smith IMO! I WANT JOHN CALIPARI!
i like izzo and have a lot of props for him. good coach well rounded be a perfect fit at UK IMO. bwe know what to expect from him too cause he is proven.
People on catspause have been giving him crap over his style of play..I can deal with any style of play if we win.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:[SIZE=2]
Sources in Lexington told News 25 late Friday night that Izzo is the target of Kentucky Athletic Director Mitch Barnhart. Those sources also told NEWS 25 Sports Izzo's representatives have said if Izzo is offered the UK job, Izzo would accept.

Are these sources the same sources who said Billy Donovan was coming? :biggrin:

Seems like the Lexington TV sports reporters need to find some new sources.
TomSportsHack Wrote:Are these sources the same sources who said Billy Donovan was coming? :biggrin:

Seems like the Lexington TV sports reporters need to find some new sources.

It was a Orlando Fox news station that reported Donovan to UK.

WEHT is a Evansville, Indiana news station.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:It was a Orlando Fox news station that reported Donovan to UK.

WEHT is a Evansville, Indiana news station.

And those of us in that Orlando station's market routinely laugh at that station's leering, winkish, tabloidy presentation of the news.

Still waiting for any sign of those sources being credible. John Q. Bigbucks, elite booster with no actual input on the decision, is not a credible source.

Does nothing to change my impression of most TV sports reporters as blow-dried idiots with good makeup. With all those years I had in the media, I can only think of a handful of exceptions.

(And one of the good ones also got burned by his UK "sources" this week, sadly.)
My pick would be Calipari but Izzo is a great guy that runs a solid program and is always a factor in the Big 10. I only question his style of play. But if he can win I am all for that.
Jimmy Dugan Wrote:People on catspause have been giving him crap over his style of play..I can deal with any style of play if we win.

Izzo runs the same style as Tubby did. I myself would like Izzo here i think he is a heck of a coach. But, how long would it take for those who wanted tubby out to start calling for Izzo's head.
Playboy5 is partially correct. Izzo would be the same thing style of play wise as Tubby Smith was.

I don't wan't Calipari in anyway.

If we could only turn back the clock and not have been so blind as to run off Tubby.
The good thing with Izzo is this: He runs a clean, clean program.

Calipari has always had naysayers because of his recruiting tactics and standards (look up Marvin Branch sometime, or just ask Lou Carnesecca or anybody at St. John's) and there are still questions about what he knew and when he knew it regarding the Marcus Camby payoff scandal at UMass.
I don't think people would have been calling for Tubby's head if he hadn't been 10 loss Tubby. I would rather win 30 games scoring 70 a game than win 22 scoring 90. It's all about winning games. Sure the full throttle is exciting, but when the three doesn't fall, you're in trouble. Give me a coach that knows how to coach defense and run an offense anyday. I have been an Izzo fan for years. His teams always seem to outwork the opponent. I also don't know much about Jay Wright, but after watching tonight and his post game conference, I am impressed with him. I am not a Donovan fan, Calipari would get caught cheating, plus what has he ever won? Izzo would bring wins and respect to UK. He is a class act. Wright also seems to be very classy. The way he praised Pitt was very admirable. I would be happy with either of these two.
FBALL Wrote:Playboy5 is partially correct. Izzo would be the same thing style of play wise as Tubby Smith was.

I don't wan't Calipari in anyway.

If we could only turn back the clock and not have been so blind as to run off Tubby.

In no way am I trying to be smart or negative, but who exactly would you want to replace Gillispie?
outdoorsman43 Wrote:In no way am I trying to be smart or negative, but who exactly would you want to replace Gillispie?

Pelphrey.
Please no...if true...we have some boring basketball heading our way.
Pages: 1 2