Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Meeks Father Welcomed News of Firing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The father of UK's leading scorer, Jodie Meeks, welcomed the news of Gillispie's departure.

"It clearly didn't look like it was working," Orestes Meeks said.
The elder Meeks suggested that Gillispie made it difficult for UK to maximize its potential.

"You don't want to throw gasoline on the flames, but, clearly, a lot of things happened behind the scenes that made it difficult for the kids to play basketball and focus on winning," the elder Meeks said.

http://www.kentucky.com/881/story/741229.html
I think this speaks volumes on how tough he was on the players.

We've all heard rumors about the rough practices, but I think that a lot of the players may be relieved that Gillispie is gone.
Should we assume that Meeks will stay now?
cougarpride08 Wrote:Should we assume that Meeks will stay now?

I'm pretty sure that Meeks & Patterson are both staying.

Neither are ready for the NBA, although I believe Patterson will test the waters, but he will not sign an agent in case he does decide to return to UK.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I'm pretty sure that Meeks & Patterson are both staying.

Neither are ready for the NBA, although I believe Patterson will test the waters, but he will not sign an agent in case he does decide to return to UK.

I agree. The talent is returning to Kentucky it looks like. If UK gets the right guy (hopefully Calipari) to run the show, then next years Cat's will be elite.
cougarpride08 Wrote:Should we assume that Meeks will stay now?

I believe that are are. I definitely think they should. Not NBA material just yet.

But both definitely have the potential to be good NBA players.
I think Meeks was gone if BCG stayed but I do think he will return with Patterson next year. Patterson going now would be a mistake similar to Morris. Another year improves their draft spot and money.
Meeks father not really liking how BCG was doing there does not mean that Meeks didn't like BCG. Patterson really liked BCG and was always a big proponent of the man.
I think it is funny that everyone complains about how tough he was on the players. Come on people these guys are getting their college paid for by playing ball and are playing for the most "prestigous" program in the nation. They signed a contract and are expected to work as hard as the coach asks of them. People complain about him not treating the program like the high standard it should be held to but training your kids as hard as you can is apart of that. I played college soccer for one of the best programs in the NAIA and we had practice before games and practices were just as hard before a game that they were during preseason. This isnt a cake walk if you cant live up to the standards of the coach IMO then hit the door and find some where else where it is easier on you.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:I think it is funny that everyone complains about how tough he was on the players. Come on people these guys are getting their college paid for by playing ball and are playing for the most "prestigous" program in the nation. They signed a contract and are expected to work as hard as the coach asks of them. People complain about him not treating the program like the high standard it should be held to but training your kids as hard as you can is apart of that. I played college soccer for one of the best programs in the NAIA and we had practice before games and practices were just as hard before a game that they were during preseason. This isnt a cake walk if you cant live up to the standards of the coach IMO then hit the door and find some where else where it is easier on you.

:Thumbs:

For anyone to possibly take the context of BCG's comments to the players has never heard Bobby Knight or Bob Huggins. Good God, they have probably never played HS football as well as HS Basketball where the kids are berated. I'm not condoning it, but please, a Coach that berates his players, and thats soemthing new. Ever hear Jay Bilas talk about a dUKe practice and how Coach K is??????
I wounder now that Coach G is gone that others will speak up? (Pattersons Mother, you know the one who had a meeting with the coach)