Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Kentucky 70 UNLV 60
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
UK survives a second half three point barage from the Runnin Rebels (you called it stardust) and moves on to the second round.

I loved the game in Memorial. Great atmosphere and the Cats played pretty well for the most part.
Overall good game by the cats... I would like bowling green to win tomorrow so we can get one more game at memorial
Thought that all the players come out to play tonight and played really well, but the man-to-man defense got scorched again like it did for the most part of the SEC. 3-2 zone would have limited all their outside shots and forced them to go inside, where they have no one capable of scoring on either of UK's big guys.

Congrats CATS!!!
I knew that UNLV would make a game of this before the Cats walked away with victory. Overall solid performance. It's easy to let down when you are up 20 with 15:00 to go. It got scary when it dropped to a 3 point lead, but the Cat's did a very good job of breaking the press at the end (as ugly as it was affective).
Stardust Wrote:I knew that UNLV would make a game of this before the Cats walked away with victory. Overall solid performance. It's easy to let down when you are up 20 with 15:00 to go. It got scary when it dropped to a 3 point lead, but the Cat's did a very good job of breaking the press at the end (as ugly as it was affective).

Yeah, but did you see all those open shots UK give up? I'm certainly glad UNLV missed a ton of 3s tonight.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Yeah, but did you see all those open shots UK give up? I'm certainly glad UNLV missed a ton of 3s tonight.

That's my point, the same defense that was in UNLV's face all night let up and took in too much crowd instead of staying with their assignement. There was a reason why UNLV missed a ton of three's, they were mostly contested, especially in the 1st half
UNLV hit some very tough threes. The one by Bellville in particular comes to mind. Sometimes I don't think we give enough credit to other teams for battling as much as criticizing the team we pull for. It was a gutsy effort by UNLV but they finally ran out of gas and UK finished the game off.

That was two pretty good basketball teams on the floor tonight.
I'm sorry, but a lot of UNLV's 3's tonight was uncontested.

Our 3-point defense has been terrible all season and if Creighton gets by Bowling Green then we better tighten the 3-point defense up, because they have a few guys that will light us up like so many have this season.

I've noticed that a lot of these open looks are coming when a screen is set and our defenders rotate to help out and double-team and the man double-teamed finds the open shooter.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I'm sorry, but a lot of UNLV's 3's tonight was uncontested.

Our 3-point defense has been terrible all season and if Creighton gets by Bowling Green then we better tighten the 3-point defense up, because they have a few guys that will light us up like so many have this season.

I've noticed that a lot of these open looks are coming when a screen is set and our defenders rotate to help out and double-team and the man double-teamed finds the open shooter.

Indeed!
Great all around team effort by the Cats. Kind of hoped they would kept the foot on the gas when they were up 20, but nice job of withstanding the run by UNLV late. What an atmosphere at Memorial!!!! Too bad they don't play there once or twice during the season. That would be sweet! Good luck Monday, UK, against either Creighton or Bowling Green State!
Was hoping for the upset here but figured the Cats had this one.
NEWARKCATHOLICFAN Wrote:Was hoping for the upset here but figured the Cats had this one.

You Buckeyes...:flame:
I thought that UK played pretty good overall. I dont like the fact that we had a 20 point lead and gave it up. But we live to play another day.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Thought that all the players come out to play tonight and played really well, but the man-to-man defense got scorched again like it did for the most part of the SEC. 3-2 zone would have limited all their outside shots and forced them to go inside, where they have no one capable of scoring on either of UK's big guys.

Congrats CATS!!!

:Thumbs:
Stardust Wrote:That's my point, the same defense that was in UNLV's face all night let up and took in too much crowd instead of staying with their assignement. There was a reason why UNLV missed a ton of three's, they were mostly contested, especially in the 1st half

I hope you set your DVR or Tivo for this game, so you can go back and watch it. UNLV had a lot of uncontested 3 pointers they just missed them. Im not saying it was horrible defense, for the most part we played a good game tonight. We are still just giving up to many uncontested shots. I agree with Blackcat Alum that if we use a 3-2 zone or a matchup zone every now and then it would slow down some of these predominantly three point teams. I think it could be the fact that we are not switching, only helping on all screens which almost always leaves someone open against our man to man help defense.
I felt like the Cats played pretty good last night as well. It was frustrating to me as a fan to see them play as well at they did at times during the game last night because I wondered why they couldn;t play like this during the year when it really mattered. But then i was reminded why they were in the NIT instead of the NCAA tourney when they gave up a 20 point lead in a matter of minutes. Consistant play is killing them.
Gratz..
Congrats to UK. Glad to hear that they did good. Hopefully they will learn from this game, and move on.
Bout time Cats. Now they need to come out and look to score the ball more like they did for the most part this game. If they want to win their next game, they don't need these careless turnovers.
They also need to learn tempo. They need to slow down, and work the ball around.
Wow! I cannot believe that no one has even mentioned the best dunk Stevenson had all season! It made the tops this morning. I really hope he finds that in him the next game.
It made sports center top 10.
Legacy 6o6 Wrote:Wow! I cannot believe that no one has even mentioned the best dunk Stevenson had all season! It made the tops this morning. I really hope he finds that in him the next game.

[Image: PerrySt.jpg]

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:
Players came to play last night, but don't they always?

UNLV took advantage of UK playing the same man-to-man defense they have done all season. Kentucky won this game because they showed heart and refused to lose this game. UNLV's comeback was just another example of why Gillispie needs to make adjustments. No matter, he never will.

Good job Cats and keep it up!!
Kyboy13 Wrote:[Image: PerrySt.jpg]

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:
:rockon: dude i had to stop and rewind my dvr just to see over and i got my wife to come see. it was crazy