Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Early Try-outs or later in the Spring
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Which will your school choose? I sort of like it to be a tad later and not almost immediately after the last ball has bounced. (but before any school's deadline for considering a coaching change)

Will your school use the traditional (2-3) judge deal or perhaps will they go circuits? Does your school keep someone on hand to tabulate all scores as they come in, so as not to prolong the event?

Does your school use "certified" judges?

Is your coach a "certified" judge?

Does your school use a faculty evaluation along with the various other assessments of your skills and talent?

Will your try-outs be after school thru the week or set for a Friday afternoon or perhaps even a Saturday?

Is there a "specific" attire suggested for your try-out?(ie. not allowing apparel used during the year that might identify you as a previous year's member of the squad)

Will your gymnastics be judged beforehand or on the day of? Will you be required to tumble on the hardwood or use a mat?

How many will be gaining a new coach for next season?

I just thought this might be a fun way to "kick" things off for the new season! Good Luck to All!
I know we were never allowed to wear anything that had Lawrence County Cheerleading or anything.... And I think if you are wanting a squad where everyone has to tumble out during games and pep rallys that you should make them tumble out on hardwood for tryouts.
I actually think squads should do camps. It's a lot better of a way to figure out what combination of girls work best, and you also get a sense of the girls' attitudes. It's too bad very few schools actually do camps for squad selection.
There is so much hassle from parents in the cheer world that most all schools have judges from outside their region to judge tryouts. Which is the best. That way no one has a reason to complain. Some schools also have open tryouts and allow people to watch. It is not hard to determine who has and who doesn't. But, the judges have the final say by their rankings.
... I would have a clinic for all potential members. Probably after school on Mon, Tues, and Thurs. I would prefer my tryouts be on a Saturday morning. The tryouts would be closed and only would have certified judges from outside the region. I would prefer to have 3-4 judges, plus me and then a seperate person to tabulate the scores.

Minimum Requirements: Schools song, floor cheer, sideline, base/fly/spot extention AND liberty (full from both), double toe touch, hurdler, pike, short dance, standing handspring on floor, round-off handspring on floor (maybe even series), round off tuck floor/mat, essay, and 3 teacher evaluations.

The girls/guys trying out would not be allowed to wear any clothing that stated that they had cheered at that school in previous years (ex: State Champs 09). Hair up and out of face, plain white t-shirt, and solid color shorts (school color).

I would like to have my tryouts 3-4 weeks after the last basketball game. I would start with a meeting for the girls then another meeting for the parents. For those interested, I would hope to have a gymnastics session or two before/during the clinic for tryouts. That way I could also asess their tumbling potential.

By having tryouts this early I could have a few basic practices to get stunt groups together and pass out fundraising material. Then we would start preparing for camp (home pom routine and so on). This way we could prepare for camp and raise money. My team would also have to sign a strict 'cheer constitution.' I would definitely enforce this as well as a demerit system. I would definitely be a strict coach, but not to the point where they hated me. I would push them as far as I think they could go. If I feel like they don't have a sturdy stunt, that stunt WILL NOT be performed anywhere other than practice. Same with tumbling. We would set goals as a team and individually and work towards those through-out the year.

...I can't wait to coach :biggrin:
Who has had tryouts so far this year?
Shelby Valley has,
East Ridge has,
I don't think PC has,
and I have no idea about Pikeville.