Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: How long???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How long of a career should a player be required to play in college.... I think that getting big recruits could hurt a team becasue they are one and done... i think that a athlete should have to stay 3 years at least and after that with no injuries and such and they feel they are ready for the next level, thats there choice....
theVILLE Wrote:How long of a career should a player be required to play in college.... I think that getting big recruits could hurt a team becasue they are one and done... i think that a athlete should have to stay 3 years at least and after that with no injuries and such and they feel they are ready for the next level, thats there choice....

Id like to see them stay 3 years too so memphis and usc would quit pulling in all these 1 an done superstars.
At least 2 years. 3 years would even be better!!!!!!!!
Let me take a different stab at this.

Let's take a college Basketball player who signs in the NBA. If a player is drafted and signed, he is guarenteed for 3 years. That means should he get hurt and never play again, he is guarenteed a salary for 3 years. Conversely, he is bound to that team for three years and has no options to leave that team during the terms of that initial contract. He may be a low 2nd round draft choice and turn into a mega star and be way under paid in comparison to 1st round lottery pick who turns into a bust. Look at Gilbert Arenas and Manu Ginobli as examples of players who had no rights after they signed their rookie contract, but they were Guranteed three years of salary.

Let's take a college basketball player on scholarship. A scholarship is for one year. Many people don't quite get this one. When an athlete accepts a scholarship, he accepts and is bound by a one year contract. It is renewable each year, and though it is rarely revoked, it does happen where a school will not renew the scholarship the following year. That player is bound by that scholarship for one year only. At the end of that year, he technically is a free agent and can leave to go to another school (rules prevent him from immediately playing), or he can enter the NBA draft.

So, for me, I have no problems at all if a player decides to leave after one year. The school is only committed to him for one year, so why should the player be committed for anything longer? If you want players to be bound to a school and the $40-50,000 per year that a scholarship gives to a D1 athlete, then make the schools commit longer to the player. If schools were forced to guarentee an education to the athlete, then I have no problems with athletes being forced to stay at the school. If the schools are not willing to guarentee the education, then let the player leave.

That's my take.
IMO 2 or 3 years would be good.
I thnk that if the NBA requires players to wait one year after graduating, then the NCAA should require a certain amount of time as well.
No comments on the scholarships????

If a school is only committed to one year at a time for a player, why should a player have to be committed to school for any more than a year. If you want players to have to stay in school, shouldn't the schools be required to provide a guarenteed amount of education? A player could play for one year and not have their scholarship renewed, thus in order to continue their education, they have to pay for it or leave school.

Unless the schools are required to provide a minimum amount of education, you can't expect that the players should be required to stay at a school for any longer than that.
Stardust Wrote:No comments on the scholarships????

If a school is only committed to one year at a time for a player, why should a player have to be committed to school for any more than a year. If you want players to have to stay in school, shouldn't the schools be required to provide a guarenteed amount of education? A player could play for one year and not have their scholarship renewed, thus in order to continue their education, they have to pay for it or leave school.

Unless the schools are required to provide a minimum amount of education, you can't expect that the players should be required to stay at a school for any longer than that.

I agree :Thumbs:
They should atleast have to stay in collage 2 years.