Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Kentucky 77 - Tennessee 59
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
IMO we played pretty good overal today. I thought that Miller played a great game and good to see Patterson back playing good.
I guess we just have Tennessee's number this year. lol
Miller did play good. Liggins pass to Patterson & dunk was nice @ the end of the game for the !
Miller had a great game. Porter and Harris also played well. I would have liked to have seen that kind of balance at Vanderbilt the other day.

Huge win that the cats really needed?

Does anybody else see Tenn with 10 losses as being on the bubble? Seth (the idiot) Davis made the statement at halftime that he thought the Vols were already in the NCAA but I don't think so. I think Pearl and company have there work cut out for them or it may be on to the NIT.

Right now out of the SEC I think five teams get in. Florida, Kentucky, LSU, South Carolina and Mississppi State.
where can i get stats for this game
Great game by ALL the cats, that is what we need to be great. Miller answered the call of Billy Clyde today. On the pregrame Coach basically called out Miller and said he expected great things from him and thought he should be the number 3 scorer on this team.
Very nice win for the Cats today... They did a lot to solidify a spot in the tourney.
UK did an outstanding job defending today. Miller has continued the process of a differently player stepping up to help the Cats when most needed.
bluebloodedcatfan Wrote:where can i get stats for this game

http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=290520096
Balanced Cats rout Tennessee 77-58

http://www.kentucky.com/818/story/702259.html

Freshman Darius Miller's career-high 17 points led Kentucky to a 77-58 victory over Tennessee on Saturday.

Miller's scoring combined with Patrick Patterson's return and Michael Porter's three three-pointers (which tied his career high) counterbalanced Tennessee's intent not to be embarrassed again by Jodie Meeks.

The Vols succeeded, as Meeks scored 14 points, far below the school-record 54 he dropped on Tennessee in Knoxville in January and his lowest since getting 13 against Indiana on Dec. 13.

Meeks' relatively quiet night had little impact on Kentucky's chances to win.

The Cats never trailed in improving to 19-8 overall and 8-4 in the Southeastern Conference. The latter enabled the Cats to retain at least a share of first place in the Eastern Division. After missing two games because of a sprained ankle, Patterson contributed 19 points and five rebounds.

Tennessee, which got little from its two players with double-digit scoring averages, fell to 16-10 and 7-5 in the SEC. Tyler Smith (17.6 ppg) and Wayne Chism (13.2 ppg) combined to shoot 5-of-23 en route to a combined 16 points.

Kentucky led 31-24 at halftime and probably left the floor feeling the lead should have been larger.

Kentucky scored the game's first 13 points.

But as UK Coach Billy Gillispie stressed the day before the game, Tennessee's offensive rebounding could be a problem. The Vols only got nine baskets in the first half. But seven came on second-chance opportunities.

That kind of rebounding allowed Tennessee to close within 28-24 inside the final minute.

Porter's three-pointer with 18 seconds left set the halftime score.

The Cats got a chance to widen the lead. After Chism took and missed a quick three-pointer, Meeks scooped up the rebound and headed for one of his signature fast-break baskets.

But unlike the game in Knoxville last month, Tennessee showed clear and present intent not to give Meeks much of anything.

As one Vol contested Meeks' fast-break layup, freshman Cameron Tatum swatted the shot away.

It was that kind of half for Meeks, who left the floor with four points (or 22 fewer than he had in the first 20 minutes in Knoxville).

Patterson scored UK's first basket, a post-up shot off a feed from Meeks. He finished with eight first-half points. His baskets gave UK two early 13-point leads.

Tennessee did not score until J.P. Prince's put-back with 11:55 left.

Kentucky still led 28-17 with barely three minutes left.

Smith's two free throws with 18:53 left in the game — his first points — got Tennessee within 33-29.

But UK scored the next five points. Porter hit a three-pointer from the left corner.

Then Meeks made two free throws with 18:03 left to ease the tension. That marked Meeks' first trip to the foul line, so Tennessee met its goal of not fouling the UK guard, who had a career-high 14 made free throws in Knoxville.

But Porter's third three-pointer widened Kentucky's lead to 48-33. That prompted a Tennessee timeout with 14:11 left.

The timeout did not slow Kentucky.

A technical foul on Tennessee Coach Bruce Pearl helped fuel UK's momentum.

It appeared Pearl got the technical because of a series of no-calls as Brian Williams kept shooting, rebounding his own miss and shooting again.

Thereafter, it was a battle of Kentucky's "other" players against a Tennessee offense almost totally reliant on put-backs.

When Miller tied a career high with his second three-pointer, the crowd roared. It put the Cats ahead 57-38 with 11:40 left and signaled UK had enough contributors this day to win without a Meeks scoring spree.
Great win for the Cats today!....First time we have swept Tennessee since 2005!...I was impressed that EVERYONE stepped up today and played. I was glad that Miller had his career high game,it will go along way in gaining his self confidence. I am usually really nervous and ride Porter when he gets the ball, but I am pleased with him overall today as he stepped up and made some clutch three pointers when we needed them the most.
IMO, Tennessee is now on the outside looking in at 16-10. Kentucky has their own destiny in their hands playing at South Carolina this Tuesday and followed by LSU & Georgia in Rupp and at Florida to end the season.
A win over South Carolina & Florida should win the SEC East outright for us.

Once again, I am very proud of the TEAM EFFORT today by the Cats!

Go Big Blue!
The cats played awesome today. Plain and simple. Great win!

I was watching Sports Center earlier, and one of the guys, i dont remember their names, asked the other which team from the SEC could make the most noise in the tourny, and he said Kentucky looked like it could make some noise.
Just an interesting little thing I though I'd share, haha.
Miller is startin' to come along at the right time!
Looks like Miller always out does Hopson
Overrated Wrote:Looks like Miller always out does Hopson

I was thinking the same thing :Thumbs:
bluebloodedcatfan Wrote:where can i get stats for this game

has anybody else noticed that so many times this year when UK gets a double didgit lead, that instead of going for the "throat", Billy pulls back the offense and lets the other teams get back in the game. Why did he take Meeks, Stevenson and Patterson out, all at the same time? I know Patterson had 2 fouls, but why all three? I think our freshmen are showing alot of promise and would like to see them get more playing time in place of Porter. Porter had a fair game today, but continues with too many unforced turnovers and has very limited range on his jump shot.
Great win for the Cats
congrats to UK
I thought Miller had a Great Game today!
BelfryPride Wrote:Great win for the Cats today!....First time we have swept Tennessee since 2005!...I was impressed that EVERYONE stepped up today and played. I was glad that Miller had his career high game,it will go along way in gaining his self confidence. I am usually really nervous and ride Porter when he gets the ball, but I am pleased with him overall today as he stepped up and made some clutch three pointers when we needed them the most.
IMO, Tennessee is now on the outside looking in at 16-10. Kentucky has their own destiny in their hands playing at South Carolina this Tuesday and followed by LSU & Georgia in Rupp and at Florida to end the season.
A win over South Carolina & Florida should win the SEC East outright for us.

Once again, I am very proud of the TEAM EFFORT today by the Cats!

Go Big Blue!

Couldnt said it better and I was more pleased with porter than anyone today and the turnovers were great for the first time this season... Also I would like to say that my predictions are downey and fredrick will be to much ubless the cats play great defense but possible... and the cats and florida I am afraid the cats are cooking in florida and fall big... the cats beat georgia and not sure on lSu
Miller's play was the key to this victory in my opinion.

Way to go Cats!
In the grand scheme of things, this was UK's best game by far. Balance!!! Finally!!! Balance across the board. Defense did it's part and the star freshman is now taking a HUGE place on this team. Sorry Stevenson, Miller just plays harder. I loved making sweaty Bruce get mad over his own recruits playing selfish. The whole state knew that you would get that kind of chemistry with a player like Scotty Hopson. Sure he is one heck of a player but he is not even close to the kind of team ball player Darius Miller is.
Great game all around by the cats!
Kentucky played a great game today
Overrated Wrote:Looks like Miller always out does Hopson

Great job miller this is the miller I was waiting to see... Hopson come along faster than miller but miller has had a great game.... until this point in the season miller hadn't done well but Hopson is still a great player....
Great game, Miller played great. Hopefully we will revenge the south carolina loss tuesday.
sstack Wrote:has anybody else noticed that so many times this year when UK gets a double didgit lead, that instead of going for the "throat", Billy pulls back the offense and lets the other teams get back in the game. Why did he take Meeks, Stevenson and Patterson out, all at the same time? I know Patterson had 2 fouls, but why all three? I think our freshmen are showing alot of promise and would like to see them get more playing time in place of Porter. Porter had a fair game today, but continues with too many unforced turnovers and has very limited range on his jump shot.

I knew it!! Someone always finds a reason to complain.. :lmao:
FBALL Wrote:Miller had a great game. Porter and Harris also played well. I would have liked to have seen that kind of balance at Vanderbilt the other day.

Does anybody else see Tenn with 10 losses as being on the bubble? Seth (the idiot) Davis made the statement at halftime that he thought the Vols were already in the NCAA but I don't think so. I think Pearl and company have there work cut out for them or it may be on to the NIT.

Right now out of the SEC I think five teams get in. Florida, Kentucky, LSU, South Carolina and Mississppi State.

I agree with you, I see Tenn on the outside looking in as of right now but what helps TN is that have the #1 SOS in the nation. They are 16-10 now and have games with Florida,South Carolina,Miss St, and Bama. If the vols dont get aleast 2 of these than I really dont see them making it even with that SOS.

Congrats Cats! Lets get them Gamecocks back!
FBALL Wrote:Miller had a great game. Porter and Harris also played well. I would have liked to have seen that kind of balance at Vanderbilt the other day.

No not tennesse but before I say this the guard FORTSON has to come back... Arkanas will be there too becasue tey will win th SEC (WITH FORTSON) also I think ole miss could have a shot at been on the bubble too. And the cats must play like they did against UT or they have there work cut out for them too...
KINGJAMES#1 Wrote:I knew it!! Someone always finds a reason to complain.. :lmao:

I am not complaining, just ask if anybody else noticed how we let big leads evaporate. I was very happy to win the game and thought they played great team ball, why can't I question tendences that have been happening. Am I suppose to overlook the bad things from the game just because we won? Lets fix any problems so we can play even better next game. We are going to need to be playing good for the next stretch of games.Do you disagree with me on the above mentioned? You did not respond one way or the other.
theVILLE Wrote:No not tennesse but before I say this the guard FORTSON has to come back... Arkanas will be there too becasue tey will win th SEC (WITH FORTSON) also I think ole miss could have a shot at been on the bubble too. And the cats must play like they did against UT or they have there work cut out for them too...

Arkansas will have to win the SEC tournament to get in.

Ole Miss has a shot but an outside one I think. I think they are a tough out for anybody and most years would make it in. But, with all of the talk about the SEC being down I can't believe more than 5 teams make the dance. I think 3 from the East and 2 from the West.

Kentucky does still have some work to do but I believe they will make it in as a 6 or 7 seed. If they can go on a run and win the SEC tournament UK could be a 5 or maybe a 4 seed.
sstack Wrote:I am not complaining, just ask if anybody else noticed how we let big leads evaporate. I was very happy to win the game and thought they played great team ball, why can't I question tendences that have been happening. Am I suppose to overlook the bad things from the game just because we won? Lets fix any problems so we can play even better next game. We are going to need to be playing good for the next stretch of games.Do you disagree with me on the above mentioned? You did not respond one way or the other.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing either one.. I just find it annoying that no matter what happens and how good we pllay (the suppose to be uk fans) finds something to complain about.. I think if we never lost another game this year, there would be people on here still saying negative stuff about Gillispie. Give the man a break.. He is a very very good coach and can only do so much with scubby tubby's recruits.. :Thumbs:
Pages: 1 2