Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: ESPN Player of the Week: Kentucky's Jodie Meeks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/notebook?p...ywatch0913

Andy Katz

This was the toughest week to choose a player.

Hasheem Thabeet of Connecticut and Blake Griffin of Oklahoma had season-best performances Saturday. But those performances weren't as significant as what Meeks did for the Wildcats.

Kentucky was reeling. The Wildcats had lost three in a row, including two straight at Rupp Arena, and were on the verge of a third consecutive defeat, this time to rival Florida. Meeks carried the Wildcats. He hit a fadeaway 3-pointer with less than five seconds remaining. Nick Calathes of the Gators missed the front end of a three-shot foul with less than a second remaining, and Kentucky escaped with a 68-65 win.

But Meeks' inside balance, Patrick Patterson, hurt his ankle in the Florida game. He couldn't play on the road against Arkansas. No Patterson could easily have meant trouble for Kentucky. Sure, Arkansas was without suspended point guard Courtney Fortson, but the Wildcats could have wilted on the road. They didn't, simply because of Meeks. He carried them with 45 points, making 17 of 24 shots and seven of 12 3s. Meeks had a combined 68 points in two of the most important wins for Kentucky this season.

Florida's shocking loss at Georgia meant the Gators slipped a game behind Kentucky, South Carolina and Tennessee in the SEC East standings. Had Meeks not rescued Kentucky against the Gators, the Wildcats conceivably could've continued their slide, spun completely out of the division race and lost their chance at an NCAA berth. Six games remain for the Cats -- three at home, three on the road -- and now they matter because of Meeks' week.
That's awesome!! Way to go Jodie!
its good to see a wildcat player receive tht award
Good to see Meeks on top, hope that this will attract some recruits.
This is good to hear.
I think this is his 2nd or 3rd time receiving this award this season.

Keep it up Jodie!
as far as importance to a team meeks deserves it hands down. congrats :Cheerlead
Meeks has really come a long way. I knew he was going to be something special his freshman year, but I did not know he would be this great! We, as UK fans, need to take some time to really sit back and soak in what kind of season he is having. I mean, this will be one of the greatest single seasons in the history of Kentucky basketball. We may not see another season like this for a long time (unless he duplicates it next season.....haha). Congrats, Jodie! Well deserved!
Good to see a UK player receive it.
StrikeoutKing Wrote:Meeks has really come a long way. I knew he was going to be something special his freshman year, but I did not know he would be this great! We, as UK fans, need to take some time to really sit back and soak in what kind of season he is having. I mean, this will be one of the greatest single seasons in the history of Kentucky basketball. We may not see another season like this for a long time (unless he duplicates it next season.....haha). Congrats, Jodie! Well deserved!

Meeks has caught me completely by surprise. I never expected him to perform at the level he has. He has completley impressed a nation at this point.
How long till the haters come to this thread?
I am not a uk fan but a huge fan of basketball. I have to give him his props this kid can flat out play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good Job Meeks!
beasy_bo Wrote:as far as importance to a team meeks deserves it hands down. congrats :Cheerlead

As far as importance to a team goes Curry wins.... How many games could they win without curry
Thats awesome......
Congrads Meeks.
Congrats to Jodie though on his win.... I thought it was between him and Blake Griffin and actually thought blake griffin would get this weeks but congrats to JODIE ON WINNING THIS AWARD