Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Could Meeks possibly play point guard for UK
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think that meeks should play PG for the cats or atleast try it.... Is obvious porter may be able to shoot it but he want though and just sit him down and
Meeks PG
Miller or liggins at SG
Harrelson SF
patterson PF
Stevenson C
A line up like this could cause problems to other teams becasue the quickness then at the guard and instead of just porter out there to get the ball up the floor maybe another scorer not an outside shooter but Harrelson could open it up for patterson or he could get open....I think anyone can lay it in.... he can also step out to mid range or sometimes long range
Am I right or wrong hereSmile
I say the starting five and the positions they play is good for now.

I was just wondering theVille...why do you start so many UK threads when you don't even like them?:p
theVILLE Wrote:I think that meeks should play PG for the cats or atleast try it.... Is obvious porter may be able to shoot it but he want though and just sit him down and
Meeks PG
Miller or liggins at SG
Harrelson SF
patterson PF
Stevenson C
A line up like this could cause problems to other teams becasue the quickness then at the guard and instead of just porter out there to get the ball up the floor maybe another scorer not an outside shooter but Harrelson could open it up for patterson or he could get open....I think anyone can lay it in.... he can also step out to mid range or sometimes long range

I would just put liggins as point guard if anything. Usually your point guard is the experienced 'coach' on the court. He's the one who sees when to speed up the tempo of the game, slow it down, etc. That's why I think Porter is the best at PG. He might turn it over a few times and not be too good when it comes to scoring, but when I watch him, I notice he makes some pretty good decisions now and then as a 'coach' on the court. I have seen him make a few mistakes such as backing up on defense from someone who has the basketball, but I think he's still a pretty good PG.

Putting Meeks in as point guard could help the team, but the question that will determine whether Meeks will be a good point guard is 'Can Meeks make decisions as the 'coach' on the court?' I personally don't know.
Putting Meeks at PG would hurt the team. Your point has so many more responsibilities, that it would take away from his game. It's not a position that he is comfortable with. If you remember, His Freshman year they tried him at point and it was a bad experiment. Taking your best player without the ball and giving him the ball is not the answer.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:I say the starting five and the positions they play is good for now.

I was just wondering theVille...why do you start so many UK threads when you don't even like them?:p

As a louisville fan I know how to win and I am trying to help ya:p
theVILLE Wrote:As a louisville fan I know how to win and I am trying to help ya:p

Well we UK fans don't like the ideas :howdy:
Stardust Wrote:Well we UK fans don't like the ideas :howdy:

:p
I know he can. I think the real question is can the other players play a 2 guard and it not be a significant drop off.
The best thing that could have happened to this team was only if Jasper had stayed. He may not have been a great scorer but he was a controlled and experience point guard.... And to answer your question about Meeks, I don't think it would happen.
theVILLE Wrote:As a louisville fan I know how to win and I am trying to help ya:p

I am pretty shure that UK knows more about winning that UofL does.
NIKE2010 Wrote:I am pretty shure that UK knows more about winning that UofL does.

In the last 5-10 years no I dont think especially not the last 2-3 buddy and was just jk I like the cats but the cards are my favorite.. I cheer for them when they arent playing the cards..... Just jk buddy part of the rivalry lol
Wildcat Blue Wrote:I know he can. I think the real question is can the other players play a 2 guard and it not be a significant drop off.

Wildcat Blue has a very good point. Even if Meeks was a good point guard, who would you put in as shooting guard? Liggins? Isn't he a better PG than a SG? Therefore, I would think it's probably best to just change the PG position to Liggins if anything (Yet, I'm still for Porter being the PG).
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:The best thing that could have happened to this team was only if Jasper had stayed. He may not have been a great scorer but he was a controlled and experience point guard.... And to answer your question about Meeks, I don't think it would happen.

I agree completely.
theVILLE Wrote:I think that meeks should play PG for the cats or atleast try it.... Is obvious porter may be able to shoot it but he want though and just sit him down and
Meeks PG
Miller or liggins at SG
Harrelson SF
patterson PF
Stevenson C

I think this is a good idea. I actually was talking the other day about this and this was the lineup i thought would be good. But I doubt we will ever get to see if it would work.
Again and to my prvious point. Meeks has never played PG and when they tried to get him some time at PG his freshman year it did not work well. Whats next, it Patterson does poorly or gets hurt, do we want Meeks to move to Center. It's the same thing. I just don't think you realize how specialized the game is at that level. This ain't elemntary school baskebtall anymore.
Oh I think you are correct but i think that I would keep Stepeheson on the side line a use miller and liggins with pat and josh in the lower posts and meeks out front. He needs this area to control the ballgame and also work himself into some better shots than depending upon others to set himup. If hhas the ball at the point he will be ae to naturallymaneuver for the shot on a better basis than right now. I have said exactly what you have said from the beginning of the season but nobody listens.
Stardust Wrote:Again and to my prvious point. Meeks has never played PG and when they tried to get him some time at PG his freshman year it did not work well. Whats next, it Patterson does poorly or gets hurt, do we want Meeks to move to Center. It's the same thing. I just don't think you realize how specialized the game is at that level. This ain't elemntary school baskebtall anymore.

Well anything could be worth a try and quite frankly they arent playing well right now....I agree liggins will come around and probaly be a DECENT guard but not right now... also meeks freshman year he couldn't shoot like this either could he so he may changed!!! It couldn't hurt was all I was saying
theVILLE Wrote:Well anything could be worth a try and quite frankly they arent playing well right now....I agree liggins will come around and probaly be a DECENT guard but not right now... also meeks freshman year he couldn't shoot like this either could he so he may changed!!! It couldn't hurt was all I was saying

This is what I disagree with. You take a player who is a GREAT 2 guard and move him to a position that the best he could be is average. You take away his strength of playing without the ball, so you make that another minus for him. Then you insert a player into the #2 who is not nearly as good as he is, and you now have two average players. You are mistaken if you think that moving Meeks to the PG he still scores the way he does now. He won't. So now you have taken his scoring away, making the team worse off than they are now.
Joeboss Wrote:Oh I think you are correct but i think that I would keep Stepeheson on the side line a use miller and liggins with pat and josh in the lower posts and meeks out front. He needs this area to control the ballgame and also work himself into some better shots than depending upon others to set himup. If hhas the ball at the point he will be ae to naturallymaneuver for the shot on a better basis than right now. I have said exactly what you have said from the beginning of the season but nobody listens.

Stevenson has got to play better. I would like to see Harrelson play more, but let's face it, Stevenson is a shot altering post player. We can't afford for Stevenson to not play, but as your point is taken, if he is going to continue to make the mistakes that he has, you don't make things much worse by sitting him and playing Harrelson.

I disagree with Meeks out front, see my post above for that reason.