Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: What were the fans BOOING!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
At the end of the Miss St. Game when Kentucky lossed there third straight game and back to back home losses Rupp Arena was booing!! Imagine what the players felt like or the coaches...... Also the fans leaving with 5 minutes to go that is lack of supprort for a team I think. Set Aside that I am louisville fan but I think it is wrong to do this to players that are giving it there all....

WAS THIS APPROPIRIATE OR NOT FOR THERE RECENT SUCCESS:confused:
The fans were probably booing because people are realizing Billy G really needs to find a new way to run this team. He has the talent but he's not using it to its capability.
Amen but they say give him time so I guess thats what it is... They shouldn't booed especially when the are trying anyway... I hope they dont practice what they do in a game though
I was totally against the booing! Why would you ever boo your team, it doesnt matter if there getting beat by 60, if there out there hustling and trying, there is no need for that. That really doesnt look good on our fan base. Now we are all over the news, and were just giving haters another reason to hate, and giving them another reason to talk about us. Dont care who disagree's with me, that was low!
I was booing and I thought it was well worth it. If the players don't bring the intensity to satisfy the fans, then why should the fans do something to satisfy the players? If you want the fans to cheer, give them something to cheer about.
15th region slamdunk Wrote:I was totally against the booing! Why would you ever boo your team, it doesnt matter if there getting beat by 60, if there out there hustling and trying, there is no need for that. That really doesnt look good on our fan base. Now we are all over the news, and were just giving haters another reason to hate, and giving them another reason to talk about us. Dont care who disagree's with me, that was low!

I agree 100%:mad:
BCF4L Wrote:I was booing and I thought it was well worth it. If the players don't bring the intensity to satisfy the fans, then why should the fans do something to satisfy the players? If you want the fans to cheer, give them something to cheer about.

I dont care thats low buddy I mean I am not the biggest wildcat fan but I thing that is low and everyone cant win everygame thats why there is not undefeated teams now and understand the cats arent the best team and probaly arent going to be near it for another decade or so but they were trying and giving everyhting they had.....LOW
BCF4L Wrote:I was booing and I thought it was well worth it. If the players don't bring the intensity to satisfy the fans, then why should the fans do something to satisfy the players? If you want the fans to cheer, give them something to cheer about.

Exactly, I was booing from my TV set at home.
The thing is you all say they were hustling and what not but in the 2nd half they hustled very little and they didn't play very smart. Yeah there were spurts of hustling when they cut it close but then they were taken right back out of it.
Fans are fickle. If they will boo Santa Claus, they will boo anything.
I was at home booing all of the fair weather "cat fans" (to use the term lightly) who booed my team. I think it's utter stupidity to boo the team you came to watch, plain and simple. To echo what someone said before, this really looks bad on our program. What 5 star player would want to come to a school where their fans boo them when things aren't going so well?

I remember once when Pitino was there and Miss. State beat them at Rupp, I want to say 95-96, could have been 96-97, but those are just guesses. They started that crap at the end of that game, throwing things on the floor, etc... Pitino, in an act of pure class, grabbed the mic and addressed the crowd, scolding them for their actions and congratulating MSU. Personally I thought that was the right thing for him to do at the time. It really sickens me when poor sportsmanship is shown by the fans who are supposed to bleed blue.
I dont think it was the players the fans were booing, I think it was the coach. The players do all they can with the style he has them playing. I dont blame the players, well except for a few of them, when something goes wrong, It all starts with the coach, and UK has a coach that doesnt know what hes doing at all. Im glad I dont go to some of these games because I would probably be kicked out for yelling at him for the things he does. The sad thing is, nothing will change because he puts his pride and himself before the team and winning, things will continue to go the way he wants them to and they will continue to suck like they do now unless he changes.
Sports_Fan28 Wrote:I dont think it was the players the fans were booing, I think it was the coach. The players do all they can with the style he has them playing. I dont blame the players, well except for a few of them, when something goes wrong, It all starts with the coach, and UK has a coach that doesnt know what hes doing at all. Im glad I dont go to some of these games because I would probably be kicked out for yelling at him for the things he does. The sad thing is, nothing will change because he puts his pride and himself before the team and winning, things will continue to go the way he wants them to and they will continue to suck like they do now unless he changes.

So quick to blame the coach on everything. It's understandable and coaches expect to get all the blame but none of the credit. It goes with the territory. BCG is still trying to implement his style and his not the one who is having problems with other players. It's the players that are frustrated with each other which is on them.

Great post, I agree.
I love UK but UK fans are the most irrational in college basketball. They are the basketball equivalent to Alabama football fans.

Shameful.

Your exactly right! fans pay money to see there team play well! And I think alot of fans, including me think that when you boo your own team it gets your frustration out on your team. I think that billy is a good basketball coach, but UK fans only like great coaches, like rupp, tubby etc. Plus you know a lot of people that have seson tickets at rupp areana probally think of UK basketball as if it was a part of there family. And what do people do to there familly when there not doing good in school or have done something bad? THey yell at them! And in this case they booed the UK players and coaches. I would be more upset at the coaches than the players, because the talent is there. But billy dosn't know how to use it.
FBALL Wrote:I love UK but UK fans are the most irrational in college basketball. They are the basketball equivalent to Alabama football fans.

Shameful.

Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser. If it's irrational to not tolerate losing, count me in.
Any system will work if the players buy into it. It doesn't matter what system you use, if the players don't put forth what they need to in order to buy into what BCG is doing then it will continue to be dissappointing and always will be.
After reading some of the posts in here, I have one question. Are we supposed to sit in Rupp Arena and act like everything is going great? Are we not supposed to show our displeasure in the team? Seems to me like, by booing, we are getting our point across that either A. you better pick it up or B. pack your bags and leave. I like the team we have now, but if you can't give more of an effort than has been showed the past 5 games then get your **** and get out the door. As Billy Gillispie said to the ESPN reporter, this is the University of Kentucky. It's not Jodie Meeks or (and it's me adding these names in, not Coach G.) Michael Porter, Patrick Patterson, Perry Stevenson, DeAndre Liggins, Ramon Harris, Darius Miller, etc. This is a University. We have won with you, but we can sure as **** win without you. Act like you want to play here. If not, then leave.
Absolutely not. As a paying customer, you have the right to reject the service or entertainment that you have bought. Booing is expected just as much as cheering. Athletes and Coaches alike have no qualm with this.

First off dont refer to yourself as a fan if this is your outlook. Just consider yourself as a spectator looking for entertainment, because a REAL fan of kentucky basketball would never act this way. Yeah sometimes i get upset because we're not hitting easy shots or we are making poor decisions or not getting back on defense, but you should never resort to this kind of behavior. These players and coaches put in hours of work in on a daily basis year round. They give it all they got, and sometimes things dont go right on the court but it doesnt take away from their passion for this university. (So why should it ours?) Bottom line is they're not just playing for us, but for themselves as well, and if you think their performance bothered the fans more than the players you are poorly mistaken.
I was at this game, and one time the fans were booing a bad call and people mistakenly thought they were booing their own team. Idk if this was the same time or not, but just saying. I would NEVER boo my own team.
It would be different if the players were trying, and hustling. None of the players show any remorse of their horrible play. They don't play hard, they don't go after loose balls, slack on defense, and miss very easy shots. Part of that is their coach IMO, but a lot of it is their own fault. They all come in with these huge ego's, and think people are just going to lay down and be scared of them just because they are a 4 or 5 star recruit or whatever. College is full of 4 or 5 star recruits. They need to start playing up to their ability and Gillispie needs to quit being an idiot and coach, or they won't make the tournament. Maybe the fans booing will wake up the players and coaches
runninrebs21 Wrote:It would be different if the players were trying, and hustling. None of the players show any remorse of their horrible play. They don't play hard, they don't go after loose balls, slack on defense, and miss very easy shots. Part of that is their coach IMO, but a lot of it is their own fault. They all come in with these huge ego's, and think people are just going to lay down and be scared of them just because they are a 4 or 5 star recruit or whatever. College is full of 4 or 5 star recruits. They need to start playing up to their ability and Gillispie needs to quit being an idiot and coach, or they won't make the tournament. Maybe the fans booing will wake up the players and coaches

You really have no clue about anything you speak of. How are the players supposed to show remorse for having a bad night and great night by another team. "I'm sorry that Mississippi State came out and hit over 50 percent from three point range, and please forgive us for not playing our best." Give me a break these are athletes they dont have to apologize to anyone for having a bad night, its a game and there is going to be mistakes and bad games. BTW 99% of the players on this team are really down to earth and do not have a big ego.
It doesn't bother me at all, it's for entertainment, it is just a game, and no, I do not boo. However, these are 18-22 year old adults, they are not children anymore, I'm sure they are tough enough to handle a little fan criticism. If they fold up over some booing, then they are not very tough to begin with. If anything the booing will likely light a fire under butts, and they will play even harder and more focused.

Let us put things in perspective here. Do you know we have 18-22 year kids dying daily over in Iraq? Yet, we worry if pampered college athletes get their feelings hurt if booed.

Anyway, it seems obvious to me the Kentucky fans are not booing the players or our storied program; they are booing the poor coaching. I don't remember anyone ever booing the early Pitino probation teams, no matter how bad they got beat. But, they were well coached, hustled, played together, and played with heart. Pitino did everything possible to put them in the best position to win.

I don't see the effort and the passion with this Gillispie coached team. They play tense, and they play like they are afraid to make a mistake. They are afraid to shoot. At some point, Gillispie has to let them play through those mistakes, and learn and grow from those mistakes. He needs to give them pat on the back every now and then to encourage this team. The constant scolding and jerking players out over one mistake, in my opinion is taking its toll on their confidence and morale. The fans realize this, and are booing Gillispie.

If we were “severely” lacking in talent, and the coaches were doing everything possible to put the Cats into the best position to win, then the fans would not be booing. They would cheer the effort of everyone. However, we are losing to teams much less talented from top to bottom, and no adjustments are being made to correct this. The blame has to be placed at the top, and fans realize this, so the fans are showing their frustration by booing the poor coaching. Hopefully, the booing will light a fire under the butt of Gillispie too. If not things are only going to get worse.
hellbilly Wrote:I was at home booing all of the fair weather "cat fans" (to use the term lightly) who booed my team. I think it's utter stupidity to boo the team you came to watch, plain and simple. To echo what someone said before, this really looks bad on our program. What 5 star player would want to come to a school where their fans boo them when things aren't going so well?

I remember once when Pitino was there and Miss. State beat them at Rupp, I want to say 95-96, could have been 96-97, but those are just guesses. They started that crap at the end of that game, throwing things on the floor, etc... Pitino, in an act of pure class, grabbed the mic and addressed the crowd, scolding them for their actions and congratulating MSU. Personally I thought that was the right thing for him to do at the time. It really sickens me when poor sportsmanship is shown by the fans who are supposed to bleed blue.

Billy G Done nothing though he just walked off the floor like nothing was happening
Overrated Wrote:Great post, I agree.

I guess you boo syracuse to than
goBIGblue82 Wrote:You really have no clue about anything you speak of. How are the players supposed to show remorse for having a bad night and great night by another team. "I'm sorry that Mississippi State came out and hit over 50 percent from three point range, and please forgive us for not playing our best." Give me a break these are athletes they dont have to apologize to anyone for having a bad night, its a game and there is going to be mistakes and bad games. BTW 99% of the players on this team are really down to earth and do not have a big ego.
No, you sir don't know what you are talking about. This team is no longer having a bad night. We realize bad nights happen but this team has flat out quit. When you go into Tennessee and beat a team that was ranked 24th in the nation at the time and beat them by 18, then turn around and almost lose to a below average Auburn team, a below average Alabama team and then get beat by Ole Miss on the road and lose to South Carolina and Mississippi State on your home floor, all in a 2 week span, then you can eliminate the "bad night" excuse. This team is simply not motivated and they could care less if they win or not. They should have never lost to the teams they have lost to in conference play. And for this, I agree with Rebs post and certainly not yours.
torQQue Wrote:It doesn't bother me at all, it's for entertainment, it is just a game, and no, I do not boo. However, these are 18-22 year old adults, they are not children anymore, I'm sure they are tough enough to handle a little fan criticism. If they fold up over some booing, then they are not very tough to begin with. If anything the booing will likely light a fire under butts, and they will play even harder and more focused.

Let us put things in perspective here. Do you know we have 18-22 year kids dying daily over in Iraq? Yet, we worry if pampered college athletes get their feelings hurt if booed.

Anyway, it seems obvious to me the Kentucky fans are not booing the players or our storied program; they are booing the poor coaching. I don't remember anyone ever booing the early Pitino probation teams, no matter how bad they got beat. But, they were well coached, hustled, played together, and played with heart. Pitino did everything possible to put them in the best position to win.

I don't see the effort and the passion with this Gillispie coached team. They play tense, and they play like they are afraid to make a mistake. They are afraid to shoot. At some point, Gillispie has to let them play through those mistakes, and learn and grow from those mistakes. He needs to give them pat on the back every now and then to encourage this team. The constant scolding and jerking players out over one mistake, in my opinion is taking its toll on their confidence and morale. The fans realize this, and are booing Gillispie.

If we were “severely” lacking in talent, and the coaches were doing everything possible to put the Cats into the best position to win, then the fans would not be booing. They would cheer the effort of everyone. However, we are losing to teams much less talented from top to bottom, and no adjustments are being made to correct this. The blame has to be placed at the top, and fans realize this, so the fans are showing their frustration by booing the poor coaching. Hopefully, the booing will light a fire under the butt of Gillispie too. If not things are only going to get worse.

Great comment.

I have no issue with your perspective of the coach not making adjustments, but I feel it is still off base, in particular to the last game. The Cats got the game to 5 twice due to the defenisive change that the Cats made. Dumb decisions by Stevenson twice wiped out the defensive effort that afforded the Cats to get back in the game. If you recall, MSU was hitting 25'+ 3-pointers, with a defender at the 3-pt line. You don't expect a team to shoot 5' feet beyond that mark, thus I would not have coached my defense to get any closer.

To go to a Zone defense was not relevant. I don't understand that reasoning. The M2M D, as I said above, put the defensive player at the 3 point line. You would not have taken a Zone defense any furhter out than what they already were at.

I will continue to agree to disagree with your opinion based on the above. As for teams losing to teams that they shouldn't lose to, it happens every single night. We are more intuned to say "I don't care about who else it happens to".

I as a fan get upset, but I have faith in the coach and the direction of the team. Tubby coached and brought a certain level of player to this program. It is not the same type of player that Billy Clyde uses in his program. We can be upset that he is not changing his program to fit the players that he has, and that is fair. But this will be a 20+ win team that is in significant rebuilding or overhauling.
I wasn't booing and I wouldn't if I was at Rupp, but I was wondering what is wrong. The fact of the matter is the fans were booing BCG plain and simple, but I do think that we will turn this thing around.
Pages: 1 2