Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: MEEKS 54 points Good or Bad
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Was meeks scoring 54 good or bad for the cats remainder of the season...
Perosnally he is a great player and top in the conference or nation probaly but I think it hurt his team winning because in order to beat them you have stop 2 players Meeks and Patterson becasue its obvious Porter isnt going to shoot and miller has his nights. So GOOD OR BAD
good cause he is a baller lol.
I dont think it's ever bad when a player scores that many points in a win over a rival.
Great game, no doubt.....it seems like after that performance we forgot how to play the rest of the game of basketball not only that, but teams have changed their defensive schemes towards us.
IRISH4 Wrote:Great game, no doubt.....it seems like after that performance we forgot how to play the rest of the game of basketball not only that, but teams have changed their defensive schemes towards us.

Yes, I have to agree and it looks like were always trying to let Meeks do something. Some of the players to me look like shy to shoot.
No doubt it was good because if Jodie doesn't score we don't win. I'm sure you've seen this trend over the past two weeks.
The College One Wrote:good cause he is a baller lol.

He is what about the TEAM
IRISH4 Wrote:Great game, no doubt.....it seems like after that performance we forgot how to play the rest of the game of basketball not only that, but teams have changed their defensive schemes towards us.

EXACTLY, Great game for meeks but since then the TEAM has different defenses thrown at them at there not adjusting. We could won the game with meeks scoring 30 but still good game dont get me wrong
Anytime a player scores 54 points its good!
But really, it should open everyone else up a little more.
Aslan Wrote:Anytime a player scores 54 points its good!
But really, it should open everyone else up a little more.

It did and they want shoot the ball like porter they left 10 foot from him and everyone in rupp hollering shoot it and he stood there and dribbled... I guess he thought it needed air or something in itBig Grin
theVILLE Wrote:It did and they want shoot the ball like porter they left 10 foot from him and everyone in rupp hollering shoot it and he stood there and dribbled... I guess he thought it needed air or something in itBig Grin

I would shoot it or die. Big Grin
Aslan Wrote:I would shoot it or die. Big Grin

Exactly through it me and I will shoot it may not go in every time but you cant win if you dont shoot....
Honestly, I kind of think of it as a bad thing. Don't get me wrong, if Meeks has the opportunity to score 54 points, let him. Its just that I've noticed when you get dependent on one or two players to score all of your points, it is very easy to defend. All you need to do to defend against Kentucky is put 3 guys in the paint and put 2 on Meeks.

What I'm saying is I would like to see the team to score points rather than just Jodie Meeks.
Deathstar 80 Wrote:Honestly, I kind of think of it as a bad thing. Don't get me wrong, if Meeks has the opportunity to score 54 points, let him. Its just that I've noticed when you get dependent on one or two players to score all of your points, it is very easy to defend. All you need to do to defend against Kentucky is put 3 guys in the paint and put 2 on Meeks.

What I'm saying is I would like to see the team to score points rather than just Jodie Meeks.

My point exactly
My point in starting this thread was to pove what death star said it was a bad thing for the remainder of the season becasue teams seen he could do that and was content with his 20-25 points but not 54 and he isnt going to do that anymore so now everyone is playing the same defense double team Meeks adn patterson and you beat kentucky..... nothing against the rest of the team or anything they just act shy about shooting it... Miller could be a threat but not as of yet... Galloway I dont know...Harrelson should start to get points becasue he can shoot the ball if you remember back when he played at the start he was scoring alot.... also harrelson is a junior so he needs to play more adn get expierence I think that could help patterson and score inside becasue there isnt another outside shooter besides Jodie but he is a rhythm shooter
I think that it was a good thing at the time that it happened. But since then we have struggled and not played very well.
I agree CONGRATS to JODIE for that but for the team it has been bad now I think and glad he did it but still
On the other hand, it could be good to have Meeks score the 54 points if your good at strategy.

Use Meeks as a decoy, make the other team think he's going to shoot and get someone else open. You could also get Patterson out of the paint, and if the opposing team is double-teaming Meeks and has someone on Patterson, that leaves 2 players left in the paint, and surely Kentucky's 3 players can win against the opposing team's 2 players.

If this fails, just put Slone out at the 3-point line, let the other team double-team Meeks and go after Patterson, and Slone will be completely open for the 3-pointer.

In summary, use your opponent's strategy against them.
I don't get the point about Meeks scoring the 54. What did his scoring 54 do? Are you thinking that Meeks 54 all of a sudden changed the defensive strategy of the opposition? HE WAS TOP 5 in the Nation when he scored the 54, HE WAS NO SECRET!!!!!!!!
Stardust Wrote:I don't get the point about Meeks scoring the 54. What did his scoring 54 do? Are you thinking that Meeks 54 all of a sudden changed the defensive strategy of the opposition? HE WAS TOP 5 in the Nation when he scored the 54, HE WAS NO SECRET!!!!!!!!

Exactly. He has been one of college basketball's top scorers all year. This game changed nothing.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Exactly. He has been one of college basketball's top scorers all year. This game changed nothing.

Thank you. Meeks has been targeted since the first game of the year, as has Patterson.
Stardust Wrote:Thank you. Meeks has been targeted since the first game of the year, as has Patterson.

:Thumbs:
Im saying that since meeks scored 54 they havent played as well and death star said that it would open other players up well opened porter up and he want shoot So whats the point and hope they get it together
We need to push the ball more so we can get Jodie more open shots bc that is gonna be the only way he is gonna be able 2 get a good shot off and also Patterson and Perry can both run the floor very well so i think we should push the ball alot more
I still don't get your point. Everyone is still taking the same number of shots that they did both before and since that game. It's blanket comment that you are making, have you looked at the stats? Stats don't lie, so if it's just what you think you are seeing, then please look it up.

Meeks took 22 shots in the Tenn. Game, he has taken 88 shots in the 6 games since the Tennessee game. He took exactly 100 shots in the six games prior to the Tennessee game. So please explain your logic? It doesn't register for me.

The team took 352 shots in the 6 games before Tenn and 317 since. The nuance to that is that they took 62 & 72 shots against Tennessee St. & Appalacian St. when they scored 195 points combined against BAD competition. They average 54 shots per game, so theres 26 of the extra shots. Throw in that 4 of the six games that proceeded the Tennessee game were cupcakes.

UK is taking the same amount of shots as a team, and Meeks has actually shot less since the Tennessee game. Your reasoning does not fit.
Stardust Wrote:Thank you. Meeks has been targeted since the first game of the year, as has Patterson.

Actually, no one really targeted Meeks in the start of the season because they didn't know he could score as many points as he did. Might I remind you that last year he was injured and didn't score as many points as he is this year.

Also, the fact that Meeks scored 54 points in one game does matter a little bit because even though he was scoring around 20+ points average per game, I personally think it woke coaches up to see that Meeks could single-handily be a serious threat. I think the reason this topic was made was because it's important for Kentucky to identify how teams are looking at Meeks and are making strategies to stop him. (I'm sorry to the person who made this topic if I'm wrong) Opposing teams have learned if they can stop Meeks and Peterson, they can beat Kentucky. As a result, Kentucky needs to find a way around their strategies and therefore find a way to still win games.
Stardust Wrote:UK is taking the same amount of shots as a team, and Meeks has actually shot less since the Tennessee game. Your reasoning does not fit.

EXACTLY!!! Teams are preventing him from shooting more frequently as he's used to. Since these other teams are defending Meeks, they're leaving people like Porter open. These players, like Porter, Liggins, etc. seem to be afraid to shoot, as if they think they're going to miss anyway. Therefore, have them (such as Porter and the rest of the team) shoot more often.
WELL DEPENDS GOOD OR BAD! Meeks is a great athlete and certainly will always continue his quest to improve....he has the right humility and personality that he will succeed. Scoring 54 pus allowed him to see his potential not that he won't exceed 54 PTA but he now knows that he can and that will boost his confidence.So it was good for Jody even though the team may stumble but I can guarantee the team stumbling has nothing to do with Jidy Meeks scoring 54 PTA. The stumbling is brought on my players and coaches that are looking out on the horizon and not looking down at the teams they are playing and as we have seen they have stumbled three straight times. Coach said last game the issues were all disciplinary issues then he needs
To do something about them NOW! Billy !!!!!!
Deathstar 80 Wrote:EXACTLY!!! Teams are preventing him from shooting more frequently as he's used to. Since these other teams are defending Meeks, they're leaving people like Porter open. These players, like Porter, Liggins, etc. seem to be afraid to shoot, as if they think they're going to miss anyway. Therefore, have them (such as Porter and the rest of the team) shoot more often.

My point buddy